Jump to content


  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Public backs debt enforcement to support vital public services - survey | CIVEA View the full article
    • Hi   Fire Protection isn't just for cladding fire proofing doors etc it also includes Annual Fire Inspections which all add to costs.   Water Charge for the communal boiler fault managed by SSE It would depend how your housing association has setup the contract with SSE. (sounds as if you have a Combined Heat and Power system (CHP)) if this is the case my own Housing Association also has this its the largest CHP in the UK still and it is run and managed by SSE right down to they repair faults at their cost not the tenants its how the contract was setup). As said it would depend on how your HA setup the contract with SSE.   If it is a CHP system and the fault as you have describe these are not cheap to repair/get a replacement parts. (my own HA CHP covers thousands of properties and has three boilers two are constantly used the third is and emergency backup/used if maintenance on others required.)   If all tenants are being charged this £200-£300 have the HA added this as a Service Charge as part of your Rent Statement?   I am a HA Tenant and if I had this as a HA Tenant myself I certainly would be challenging it with the HA as such costs should have been budgeted for in the HA Budget Plan.   Do you have a Tenants Committee/Registered Tenants Organisation (RTO) if so as well as complaint to the HA I would also inform them of this   With your letter Make sure and Title it 'Formal Complaint' this way they have to log it as a complaint which in turn in turn must be added to the HA return to the Regulator.   Only if you consider getting together with other tenants as a Group to complain about this the best advice I will give you is always complain individual as well as a Group. (note: why you ask well individually as stated they have to log all those complaints but as a Group its only one complaint logged the Group one)
    • ukcps just a typo martin.   you don't really have to really worry   just sit tight and await to see if they issue a letter of claim or action.   the landlord will have copies of everything if the renters didn't fwd it on as they should do.
    • I'm not 100% upto speed with the latest PAP but my understanding is i have 30 days to reply to the LoC.   I have asked for an up to date statement as i havent had one in well over 12 months and i was playing with them a bit, so i might wait a week for that to arrive so i have it in black and white before firing off the SB, it will be sent anyway but would like to see all my ducks in a row first if i can before pulling the trigger.
    • Hi,   I defaulted on a Vodafone contract, the default date is 31/07/2015, the amount at that date was approximately £650 now nearly £800.   Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd now have the debt and it was passed on to Lowell Solicitors who have sent me a "Notice of Claim Issue" on the 31/08/2020, this letter was sent after the claim form 25/08/2020.   I called Lowell, asked for proof of the agreement, they was rude saying a CCJ will be entered against me that day or the next not knowing I filled out the online claim form, so I put the phone down. I was then sent a "Notice of pending County Court Judgment (CCJ)" on the 13/09/2020.   I think I made a mistake with the online form, I did not admit to the claim but I ticked the jurisdiction box, can that be undone?   I added my claim yesterday by checking through recent claims from this forum. I'm now at the point where I'm being asked if I want to counter claim, do I wait? Also I have not sent CPR 31.14 letter yet as I can not find a template on here or know how to send payment of £1.   Please help.
  • Our picks

    • @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 4 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help
       
      I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later
       
      I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute
       
      I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today
       
      I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.
       
      I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .
       
       I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !
       
      I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !
       
      i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Recommended Posts

7 days since the day of service but no reply from Hermes. Hopefully they respond  this week but I do expect them to file an  Acknowledgment of Service and extend for a further 14 days. I will update when something changes. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all

 

Hermes have filed their defence stating that I have already received £26.99 compensation, which is untrue as I never accepted the payment. 

I suppose next step is to request judgement? 
 

Hermes png.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but surely you must realise that the images you have just posted are completely unreadable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, nothing surprising here.

Of course your position on their payment will be that it was a payment made unilaterally by them without any prior agreement from you and therefore you take it that it is a part payment of your claim

Link to post
Share on other sites

You won't be able to request a judgement because they have put in a defence. I'm afraid that you will have to let things take their course a little bit and eventually you will get an allocation/directions questionnaire which will require you to pay a fee if you wanted to go on.

 

For the size of the claim – which is quite small – I can't see it really going all the way. I can imagine that they will put up their hands – but you can never be sure

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems I was getting a bit ahead of my self. Thanks for the advice BankFodder. I will sit tight and come back when I get an update. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I have always been against mediation. Please follow the mediation link to see what I think about it and it really is calculated to get you to compromise over some of your rights.

However, it seems to be becoming more common and more preferred to try mediation and for such a small sum, may be you should go ahead. However, it is a small sum so there is very little to lose and if I were you I would go into mediation extremely bullish and stand your ground for every penny including your costs.

Hermes will try to get you down at least by the extent of your costs and maybe try to fob you off with a hundred quid in full and final settlement. Really there is so little at stake I think that your best bet would be to say to the mediator/Hermes that if they want to go to court then fine. You will get the court to agree that their "insurance" requirement is an unfair term and that once you get that judgement you will make sure that everybody knows about it – everywhere – and Hermes will then have to deal with an enormous number of claims.

I think this should be your bargaining position and that you explain to Hermes that if they settle up your claim in full as well as your costs then there will be no judgement against them and no risk of a lot of publicity about their fake and unfair insurance scheme.

They will try to get you down about 20 quid or so and frankly it so little, you have nothing to lose by telling Hermes that you are prepared to go head-to-head in court and get the judgement which will destroy them once it is published.

You can also point out that Hermes are being ridiculous spending so much money trying to crush your claim – far more than your claim is worth. These people are really taking it personally and they are completely pigheaded.

Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, you will probably even come under pressure from the mediator to compromise.

I think you're starting position should be "I'm not here to compromise on my rights. I've only agreed to mediation in order to save Hermes further money and expense and also embarrassment of going to court and losing. That's my offer. If they don't want it then they should say so and we will go to court."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...