• Tweets

• Our price is the same all day, but varies day to day. Yes there's a risk of high prices but it has never gone above SVR any time since I signed up. Last 30 days average 17.67p/kWh, max 20.67 and lowest was 11.83.  It saved just under £300 during 2023.  
    • It you had E7 in the past but have converted to single rate then the meter will still hold the last recorded Night readings. This introduces scope for error when manually reading. If the meter has only ever been used on single rate then there's only one figure that can be taken. For example ours shows "Rate 1" reading and a "Total import" reading, but they both give the sme figure. If it has ever been on E7 the total will be higher, including the retained night reading.
    • okay, perfect and thank you so much for the help once again. so firstly i am going to initiate the breathing space, during this time it's likely ill receive a default. when i receive the default are you aware of how long it will take for me to know whether the OC have sold it off to DCAs? Once it's with the DCAs i do not need to worry as they cannot issue a CCJ only the OCs can Even if i decide to come an arrangement with the DCAs no point as the default will remain for 6 years paid or not paid I should only consider repayment if the OC still won the debt and then issue a CCJ? Just to confirm the default will not be seen after 6 years? No one can tell I had one then after 6 years ill be all good?
    • I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Tesco Bank - Credit Card Late & Over Limit Charges

ads_uk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1149 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Given that she is 3 months arrears Its hardly surprising.....the agreement is beyond repair unless all arrears are paid in full and the default rectified.I would imagine they are close to terminating the agreement.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Ads,

Here's an updated template so YF can try to reclaim the charges, or have them withdrawn to reduce the o/s balance - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422823-legal-reclaiming-credit-card-charges-informal-request/

Because the £12 charges are relatively recent and no higher than the limit set by the OFT in 2006, Andyorch has warned that the bank is not oblidged to refund or withdraw the charges.

Having said that, YF has nothing to lose in trying to get her balance reduced by reclaiming..

I suggest you use the letter to reclaim the full amount of each charge plus 8% interest as per the spreadsheet. When you open the spreadsheet again, it will auto-update the interest so print it out the day you date the letter and keep a copy of the printed spready with your copy reclaim letter.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you.

From looking at her statements she's paid the minimum requested payments (late by 24-48hrs) but then the Late Payment send her overlimit and then incurs an overlimit charge.

There are occasions where she's purchased fuel (not via the pump) and the transaction has been accepted despite not enough funds being available. (Her debit card is with Halifax and she says she just pulls out the blue one).

Thanks again I'll get her to send this off weekend

the penalties are still unlawful though. and those are now the remaining balance

a credit or debit card with £1 or more on it on any petrol pump will allow more than that £1 to be spent .

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

She said she'd never used pay at the pump.

Only ever gone into the petrol station as she's always bought some other items (milk, bread) 

Would that be the same?

should be no 

thsts interesting.

if the limit balance was not there the transaction should not go thru.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi all,

Can I quickly check something with yourselves.
I've finally been able to pick up all the correspondence she's received and I have a question.

There is no "Notification Of Default Fees Charged" letters. am I right in saying that where a Default Charge/Fee/Penalty has been applied they should also provide a notification of the this and not just have it on the statement?

correction..
There is a note on the end of the statement that states:

"Notice of Default Sums - This notice is being given to you under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 because you have incurred one or more default charges ("Default Sums"). The default charges are displayed within the transnational section above. This Notice does not take into account default sums, which we have already told you about in another Default Sum Notice, whether or not those sums remain unpaid"

Is this enough or should it be separate notice?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Damn.

I always thought that they had to provide with Notice of default prior to a charge being applied and not apply the charge and we will also include it on the statement.

Another clutching at straws question, seeing as the blurb in the statement does not mention "notice under section 86" and just quotes "under the Consumer Credit Act 1974", be another reason to dismiss charges? 

It should be provided as a separate notice...not on the statement.

6 minutes ago, Andyorch said:

It should be provided as a separate notice...not on the statement.

Oh cool so 3pts to me :)

It does state on http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/14/section/12 the following:
(3)The notice under this section may be incorporated in a statement or other notice which the creditor or owner gives the debtor or hirer in relation to the agreement by virtue of another provision of this Act.

so just to be sure that statement does not apply

Providing the statement (notice) is served within 6 months of the default charge/s....so technically yes  I suppose they could serve notice that way providing that said statements are given promptly ...monthly bi monthly etc.

I really wouldn't be digging too deep into the legislation...keep your claim to a general holistic claim

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Reply to complain has been received via email:

hanks for your patience while I've looked into your complaint. Based on what I've found, I think we've acted fairly, so I won't be upholding your complaint. I've explained why below.

Your Complaint

You let us know you're unhappy with the Late Payment Fees (LPF) and Over Limit Fees (OLF) applied to the account of xxxxxx account since July 2018 and want these refunded. When you spoke to us on 30 June, you were refused the email address for Customer Relations and no complaint was raised for you. The account wasn't frozen as discussed and you want to know why xxxxx could buy fuel at a kiosk taking you over your agreed credit limit.

My Findings

I've reviewed xxxxxx account and listened to your call of 30 June to get a better understanding of what's happened.

When you spoke with my colleague, you requested an email address to make a claim against the LPF and OLF applied to xxxxx account. Whilst we appreciate the email address for Customer Relations is available online, my colleague followed the correct process.
A business decision was made that email address' for business areas such as Customer Relations aren't provided over the phone.

Towards the end of the call my colleague offered to raise a complaint on your behalf, this was rejected by yourself as you confirmed you would use 'Resolver' to contact us, as you wanted a communication chain.

During the call, my colleague explained the Payment Break to you. It was explained that he could apply a 3-month break to your account and backdate this and refund the last 2 months of fees.
At this point you confirmed this could affect your claim, so no further action was taken.  

Information regarding charges, fees and interest are detailed within the Terms & Conditions (T&C's) which you agreed to at account opening.
As a customer when XXXXXX entered into the Credit Card agreement, they agreed to these terms, which also include making at least the minimum payment to the account and remaining within the agreed Credit Limit to prevent any fees being applied to your account.

When payments have been late or the agreed credit limit has been exceeded, we notify in writing with Late Payment letters and Default letters being issued to xxxxx home address. As a customer it is xxxxxx responsibility to ensure that they manage the account correctly and within the T&C's.

We consider our over limit, returned and late payment charges of £12 to be fair and transparent as they are outlined within the terms and conditions of the credit card. 

A detailed independent analysis of the costs associated with our fees shows that this is fair and justified. Therefore, I will not be able to refund these to xxxxx.

When buying fuel at a kiosk this is an offline transaction and the merchant doesn't come to the bank for approval. Prior to the kiosk processing the fuel a pre-authorisation is done it checks it's an active card with an active credit facility before completing the transaction.  It's the customers responsibility to know there is enough funds to clear the amount the spent, as it is pre-approved, we need to accept it.  

My Decision

Based on this, I won't be upholding your complaint as I'm unable to evidence any error made by Tesco Bank. 

You have the right to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service, free of charge - but you must do so within six months of the date of this letter."

Things I note -
"At this point you confirmed this could affect your claim, so no further action was taken."  I said I would like to put the complaint in myself -- If I had already mentioned financial impacts surely they should of applied holds / and refunds?
Paying for fuel, they have stated KISOK and not pay at pump. Kiosks should be treated the same as when purchasing items at a shop surely?

I guess the next step is the long waiting game of the FOS?
Any tips, guidance to ensure I can get this refunded and closed for her?

the fca did not ever say that £12 was an acceptable level for any penalty charge.

something being in T&C's does not make it legally enforceable , just like PPI and the previous round of bank charges reclaiming in the 2000's that created CAG.

and they

Do I need to reply to them or is it now FOS.

The kiosk bit is a bit of lie.

Ive gone to a garage kiosk and purchased fuel before and tried to pay with the wrong card and the card gets rejected if there is insufficient funds available.

the fos rarely side with consumers upon charges reclaiming.

dx

and they

why?

dx

and they

so what if they don't agree?

can't see why you are recommending paying a debt solely made of penalty charges??

the OC won't ever goto court, they never do...

they'll default the debt (if it's not already subject to a defaulted date noted on  her credit file?) and sell it on as a lemon debt to a debt buying DCA

and when that happens there still exists a serious dispute ...

and a dca would be really stupid to goto court re the above.

9/10 they drop these debts like a hot coal.

and they

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ya.
Little update
She received a default notice for £302. (C/Limit of £250)
In arrears total £83.00

She rang them as they were supposed to put her on the COVID payment break freeze thing.
They said a freeze was applied 6th July but as it's gone past the 90 days, collection letters commence - she pointed out that 90days would mean Oct.

Bit of a track back by the agent who said the account was placed on a temp hold whilst complaint was investigated and not the covid freeze (despite originally stating that she was struggling back in June)

Now this is the part I'm having trouble understanding.

The agent has told her to prevent the account being Terminated & Defaulted she would need to do an arrangement.
For some stupid reason she's told them she can afford £25 pcm.

They have told her that based on that they will freeze the account at 0% interest and not accrue any charges.

Now for the bit i dont understand

- they have the arrangement would be £25 pcm, then she would have to pay £110 lump sum to clear the arrears.

She did not understand this and neither do I

- the agent stated that the system generates the minimum payment (£25) due and they can not do anything about that, so the £110 will be the arrears of the minimum payment due.

Surely if she accepts this £25pcm for 4mths would bring the balance below the £250 credit limit - so no arrears outstanding. - the person is insistent that their calculator is right.

She has asked for it to be put in writing before she accepts

-- she said she told the agent multiple times that she did not understand, and that the agent was insistent of accepting. in the end the agent agreed to place the account on hold for 20days so the information could be sent through.

Am I missing something on the lumpsum / arrears

- if a repay plan is in place at £25 and is paid monthly, then how can arrears increase?
That would mean that she would need to pay £50+ pcm to clear arrears?

Once this letter comes through I'm going to DSar them for the telephone call, as Tesco state all calls are recorded as she should not be pushed into accepting something she didnt understand.

SAR them anyway.

just remember - it's a toxic debt made solely of unlawful penalty charges so she shouldn't pay anything anyway...

about time you told her to STOP using the phone.

writing ONLY put the phone down.

dx

• Like 1

and they

DSAR Sent.

She received details of this payment arrangement and it doesn't still seem right.
OverDue amount: £87
Overlimit amount: £55

Proposed plan = £25.00 for the next 4 months. After the 4 months the account will be in Arrears by £110 which would require a lump sum?

Current Credit Limit = £250
Current Balance = £305

Now, my maths tell me that £25 x 4 = £100, deduct that from the Balance and then that leaves £205, £45 below the Credit Limit.
So why would a lump sum be required? This is what I'm not understanding.

:noidea:

dont worry about it.

dx

and they