style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 357 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello, 

I had a parcel posted out in the beginning of march, and a few days after postage the parcel has been lost, its now mid June and today I have been offered £10 as credit against the lost parcel by parcel2go. I paid more that that for the postage!

the Parcel in question is a snowboard in a bag, so roughly 1.8m long and 50cm wide. its hardly a small item! 

surely I shouldn't have to insure myself against their total lack of competence to deliver a parcel and complete the service I paid for. 

is there anything I can do, and is it worth submitting a claim on MCOL?

cheers

Thank you for posting this message. Very nice to see that you already appreciate the absurdity that the customer is required to take insurance against the careless handling of their property by a courier company to whom the price of delivery has already been paid.

Please will you tell us more about the parcel. I appreciate it is very large – but the most important questions are – did you declare a value and what value did you declare – and was this the true value?

Also, on what basis did Parcel2Go deny liability other than their £10 credit?

Also, you haven't told us the identity of the courier company. Parcel2Go is simply a broker

Hi,

It was my father who sent the parcel, I think he declared the value at around £60, the original value of the board would have been £600 roughly, but it was a few years old, and was being sent to me so I could repair it.

I had trouble getting the claim from them, they kept going round in a circle about what the parcel description was, and eventually on their chat function yesterday they said there was a claim amount offered of £10, and I could get the cost of shipping refunded separately. 

the parcel when through Hermes, I did contact them directly, but they didn't want to know and told me to speak to parcel2go. 

Thanks for this.

Of course the story you are telling us is absolutely familiar and if you have read around on this forum then you will already know this.

I'm afraid that because you have declared the value at only £60 – then this will be the maximum that you will be able to recover. Once again, if you look around at my explanations – particularly referring to the rights and obligations of courier companies – you will understand why.

However, we can certainly help you get this money back and although it won't really compensate you for your lost – it may give you a degree of satisfaction.

I would expect that you will be able to recover your £60 plus the courier fee – whatever that is. However, I expect that you will have to threaten a legal action in order to recover this money – and maybe even issue the papers. For this kind of figure I would expect that once the papers are issued – the defendant will then take you seriously – and they will put their hands up.

Of course, from my point of view I would rather they didn't put their hands up and it went to court – but I have a slightly different agenda to yours.

It's still not clear to me why they are restricting their offer to £10. Surely they have given some explanation.

You can either sue Parcel2Go or you can sue Hermes. Suing Hermes seems to be a very attractive idea because they are causing so much of a problem for everyone – but on the other hand I'm wondering whether it would be a more interesting long-term objective to sue Parcel2Go. If Parcel2Go started realising that they are being held responsible for the shortcomings of Hermes then they might start to cause trouble for Hermes. Parcel2Go are much more powerful than you or I – and so they are capable of putting pressure on Hermes to sort themselves out.

The objective is to cause conflict between Hermes and the brokers who pass the business their way – in this case Parcel2Go.

One final thing – I don't know if you are a member of the Facebook Hermes group. If you are interested in proceeding with this then of course we will help you – but you could return the favour by joining the Facebook group and posting your story there and letting people know how you are dealing with it.

The problem with the Facebook group – which has over 10,000 members! Is that it seems to have turned into a talking shop where people rant and complain and then very little gets done – and they eventually drop off with "Hermes fatigue" – which I consider is probably part of the Hermes business model.

Here is the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/hermessuck/

Of course it will be nice if you refer to us and refer to the help that you are getting – but the most important thing is that you let people know that they can bring small claims in the County Court and that they can win and that they don't need to take this rubbish from Hermes or Parcel2Go or any other courier company.