Unsure of these charges

stoppaRed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5659 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Now the reclaiming bug has got me, I can't give it up!!!

My bessy mate is a sole trader banking with HSBC. On his statements he has the following charges

DR Aquiring charges

3421xxxxx HSBC £264.44 ( different amounts each month)

He also has total charges although not very often

He also gets charged for :

Unpaid item in ( always £4.00) I suspect that is for a cheque he has been given that has bounced.

Could someone let me know if these charges are reclaimable? and what they are for?

Many Thanks in anticipation

Hi stoppa,

I know what the first one is for:

'HSBC Acquiring charges' will be your friends merchant banking facility. He would have had a credit card machine in his shop/business to accept card payments.

As far as I undersand this a service provided by HSBC to your friend and would be classed as a fee for a service (not reclaimable). They will vary each month/quarter depending on how many transactions went through his terminal during the period.

I'm not too sure about the others, I'm sur someone will be along to clear those up shortly. :)

• Haha 1

stoppa,

I'm just wondering..

You say your friend has very few total charges and that they appear on his statements but "not very often". Is there any 3 month period where there is no total charges?

When do they appear on the statement? Is it every quarter (3 month intervals) as regular as clockwork? Or do they only appear to be related to times when he has been charged for stopping a cheque or returned payment or going over his agreed limit?

I'm trying to get some clarification myself on whether 'total charges' are unlawful on business accounts - I suspect some of it will be made up of unlawful charges but some will be legitmate fees for writing cheques, paying in and so on, that your friend agreed to when he opened the account.

I've written to HSBC regarding my business a/c and asked for clarification and a detailed breakdown of the 'total charges'

As soon as I recieve a response - it was sent under SAR so they must write back to me (whether they'll give me a satisfactory answer is yet to be seen!) I'll post up their reply.

Hi final,

Yes I never thought of that. The business started last year and so I assume he has had free banking for 12 months. During this time he has had about 30 returned cheques for £28.00 each

The Total charges started in Mar 06 and are as follows

17 mar £527.48

14 Apr £519.82

15 May £ 337.24

14 June £502

15 July £ 343

14 Aug £ 220

14 Sept £186

15 Oct £ 157

He rarely went overdrawn and when he did, he stayed in his limit, so I don't know what these charges are for. If they are for processing cheques it seems very high as it is only a relativley small business.

Hi stoppa (and Final Straw) there is another new business claim thread in the forum today - see here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/49814-radclyffe-hsbc.html#post401496

HSBC has offered to reduce his returned cheque fees from £28 to £15, as well as to refund some of his daily o/d excess charges.

Hi Bong how are you?

Yes I have just been reading that one.

The problem is, how much of these charges are charges for issuing/receiving cheques etc.. which cannot be reclaimed. I can only suggest he writes to the bank to ask them for a detailed breakdown of the charges.

Do you agree?

Hi stoppa, I'm well thank you:)

Yes I think you need to get a breakdown of those other charges.

What happened to your avatar? was it removed by the site?

stoppa,

I think the only thing to do is write and ask to see a detailed breakdown of 'total charges'

How did you come to this figure?

What are they?

Give me a detailed breakdown.

I reckon some of the charges will be fees for services but some will be charges on charges compounded by interest thus incurring yet more chrages.. and so the spiral of charges begins!

Take a look at this thread - I have included 3 further links to other business a/c claims.

LINK