• Tweets

• Just out of curiosity aesmith - are you a lawyer?
    • I spoke to a pro-bono entity this afternoon.  They advise I must initiate a claim in the court v the receiver if I want to then file an application for an order for sale.  I must have a claim/ proceedings to be able to force a sale. The judge in the current proceedings  has told me that I cannot force the lender to sell and the lender cannot interfere either.   If the receiver isn't acting correctly and isn't selling - this means I must make a claim against the receiver I could initiate a claim. Or much quicker  - the other entity - with a charge already - could use that to make an application for an order for sale.
    • Thanks Dave It's not too far away, about 8 or 9 miles, so I will probably venture over on my bike if I can't think of a good reason to drive there again! I'll have a chat with Mrs GB_Joe tomorrow and see which shops they visited, I know M&S was on the list (had to try on multiple sets of trousers!) and they are actually in that bit of retail park. The uniform shop is across the way in the Meridian Centre, so probably not helpful to get them involved.
    • As they have failed to deliver their original PCN you will need to send them an SAR where they should provide that PCN. It should show the address they used . If it is not your current one that would explain the non delivery. If it was correct then perhaps the Post office messed up. A more cynical view would be that UKPC didn't send it so that you couldn't claim the reduction. It appears that UKPC have been there for some time  but I have been unable to find any pictures of their Notices.The leisure park itself is pretty big so while some parts maybe give 5 hours free parking other parts may have restrictions like permits. I haven't been there for years -I went  to Nandos and the bowling centre . I am surprised that they are now infested with UKPC as the place is plenty big enough not to require their dubious services. If you live not to far away it would help if you could get some legible pictures of their signs. Be carful to park in an area that doesn't require a permit and take photos of the entrance signs, the five hour sign and the permit only sign as well as any other signs that are different from the previous signs. Also if their is a payment machine could you please photograph that.
    • This other entity doesn't know what's going on.  To be clear I had huge equity.  No-one would ever expect a lender to erode all my equity.  The question is - if anyone knows the legal answer - on the basis they have a charging order - could they make an application for an order for sale?  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hermes!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Unfortunately I recently trusted Hermes to deliver a parcel to an Amazon distribution centre with about 28 books in it. I am a bookseller and i sell on Amazon.

Hermes have lost the parcel and I fully expect them to offer me 0 refund or nowhere near what I would receive for selling them.

Where do I stand with claiming compensation for the expected selling price of the books. I probably paid around £100 for them in total but would expect to sell them for around 4 times this.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. If you have started reading around you will understand that we have lots of complaints about Hermes.

Please start off by looking at this link here

You will need to give us information about dates, value of items, what did you declare in terms of identity of item and also value of item.

Also, there may be difficulty recovering your expected resell value – but we will help as best we can.

Have you made a complaint through them? Did you send your items directly through them or did use some brokers such as Parcel2Go or Packlink?

The situation is fluid - I've now been told (after a 28 minute wait on the phone)  it was damaged as opposed to lost but that the Coventry depot is currently doing a sweep to find the parcel. Ideally I will get the parcel back and resend with parcel force and forget this whole mess. I booked with Hermes, took out their basic £20 insurance and declared the value to be £200 worth of books. Some of the books I can show purchase for, some I can't aside from shop receipts showing as a book.

Okay, keep us updated and if you get your books back then let us know about any damage and the possible value of the damage.

You might want to look at the link I posted for you anyway so you can understand how it all works – and this applies to any courier company.

Parcelforce may be more reliable but you need to be aware that they are the beneficiaries of a "Universal Service Agreement" which means that they are required by law to deliver everywhere in the country at a single price – regardless of whether you are talking about the Outer Hebrides or simply somewhere more accessible like a major English city – that the reciprocal is that to an extent, they have a limited liability when they get it wrong.

Hermes is the most complained about company on this forum and in fact if you look on Facebook you will find a Hermes complaints group where there are over 10,000 people and rising very rapidly. If you want something that maybe sounds more reliable then DPD or DHL – and in fact UPS seems scarcely ever to be complained about on this forum – although I'm sure they can get it wrong sometimes.

Thanks for the offer of the donation – but let's see if we have helped you first.

• 3 weeks later...

So Hermes have replied offering me £27. I claimed £200 but their online form didn't work properly so I couldn't add all of the receipts showing every single book's worth. I have requested several times that they resend the form but they haven't. Should I now ask them again to resend the form or begin other proceedings?

On what basis have they simply offered you £27?

This is their email

Hi ,
 We are getting in touch about your recent claim.
 We’re happy to tell you that we’ve accepted your claim for £29.92 including the postage cost.

So we can make the payment, please send us your bank sort code, account number and your name as it appears on your bank account.

Please don’t give us your long card number as we don’t need this to make your payment.

Once we’ve got your details we’ll make the payment, this will take around 14 working days

When sent the parcel I valued it at £200 (this was a quick guess based on what I paid for the books)

On the claim form I claimed £169.92

- this was precise and is backed-up with receipts but nowhere near the resale value.

Hermes' website wouldn't let me add more than 1 receipt, I emailed explaining this to them and requesting a new form twice (no reply) 

My best guess is that the £29.92 represents the postage + the basic £20 cover

I think the question now is – how much trouble are you prepared to make about this?

If you have got evidence that the value of the books was £169 – and particularly if you paid their so-called insurance (absolutely unnecessary in my view) then it seems to me that you are in an extremely strong position to make a claim – in the County Court if necessary – and to sue them for your money – plus the insurance – plus the cost of the courier service.

Presumably you have some kind of email contact address in order to send these bank details. If you feel that you are prepared to begin a small claim then you should start off by reading around very quickly on this website about bringing a small claim in the County Court. Then if you are sure, then you could send Hermes a letter of claim giving them 14 days and then on day 15 issue the claim.

I'm sure you have read around enough Hermes stories here to know that I'm going to say to you that you should not bluff. They will ignore your letter of claim and you should be prepared to issue the papers. However, for this kind of value I would expect they will put their hands up. They can't claim that you don't have any "insurance". They can't claim that the books were on their prohibited items list – so they have nothing left.

If they really want to push you to go to court then there is likely to be a video or telephone hearing and frankly I don't see any arguments that they can raise against you.

Your risk factors of course of the claim fee and the hearing fee if it goes that far. If you lose then you lose all of these plus your books. If you win then you get everything back plus interest.

Read around and let us know what you think

Hi 

I don't have an issue going all the way - The only question I would have would be whether I could expect to recover the resale value or whether it would be best to concede this is unlikely. I can prove to some extent the expected resale value but not as readily as the prices originally paid. 

I think it would be prudent to stick with a realistic objective and that is the hundred and £69 which you you can apparently support by means of evidence. You originally said that you could have sold them for four times – £400 and I think this is certainly unrealistic.

If you had some official evaluation of the books from an independent source then you would have stood a good chance but as the books have gone, I think your fallback is the £169

So

I informed Hermes I would give them one last chance to reconsider and received this 

Thank you for contacting Hermes.
First of all, I am sorry that the parcel was lost.

Please be advised we deliver millions of parcel a day and sometimes things go wrong in the system and parcels do go missing. This is why we have a compensation process, to help our customer financially.

When booking your parcel you opted for our standard £20 compensation, meaning that is the maximum amount we can pay along with  postage. I understand that this is not the outcome you had wished for, but we are unable to offer more compensation related to this parcel. As a gesture of goodwill however, I would like to offer £5 on top of the £29.92 originally offered.

So we can make the payment, please send us your bank sort code, account number and your name as it appears on your bank account.

Please don’t give us your long card number as we don’t need this to make your payment.
 Once we’ve got your details we’ll make the payment, this will take around 14 working days.
 If you have any further question, please let me know.

So - My last question before I proceed is does the fact I chose standard compensation actually limit me to standard compensation? 

The fact that you actually made a choice as to compensation is a little troubling. If you add simply not opted for compensation then in my view it would be straightforward.

I still think that it's unfair and unenforceable to pay the delivery fee and then to have to insure the courier against their own negligence. You declared the value correctly at £200 and so it seems to me that you should succeed even if it goes to court – but you may have made things just slightly more complicated.

As far as i can see - there is no option to remove the free compensation. I've been back on their website and been through the process of booking a parcel and there are only 2 options: free compensation as standard or extra compensation with an additional fee. 

Okay will that makes a difference. If you had no choice then I think that my position is the same – that you pay the delivery fee and its unfair to then expect you to insure against their own negligence.

Otherwise it leaves you without any remedy at all in the event of their negligence. In other words, it is a completely one-sided contract where you take all the risk and they take nothing except the delivery fee. This has to be unfair.

So you can move onto the next step

I'm sorry but I don't have a lot of time at the moment.

Please will you read around the other Hermes stories – if you haven't done so already. There are some suggested letters of claim in those. We don't have a template for this and I would suggest that you draft your own letter of claim and post it here before you send it.

Also, make sure that you read around the forum about taking a small claim in the County Court and that you know all the steps. You can be certain that you will have to issue the papers. You can be certain that Hermes will ignore your letter of claim and they will only start taking you seriously once you have issue the court papers. This means that if you send the letter of claim giving them 14 days then on the fifteenth day you must issue the papers. Otherwise don't bother. Don't bluff.

Be aware of your risk factors – which are that if you lose, then you won't get your money back and also you would have lost your claim fee – and if they push you to pay an allocation fee – which is quite likely – you will lose this as well.

For the present claim fees and allocation fees, please have a look at the court services website. However you are probably looking at something in the region of about hundred pounds or so all told for a claim of this value.

If you succeed then you will get your money back, plus interest plus your costs.

We do our best to advise you here that you have to realise that the end of the day it is your risk.

As I've already said, it is an extraordinary industry – because they will do it – which requires you to pay delivery fee and then if they don't carry out their side of the contract for some reason rather they don't have to offer any redress to you at all – often on the basis that you didn't ensure them against their own negligence. This is an extraordinary state of affairs. The whole industry does it this way and it seems to be a culture which has been accepted for a long time – maybe 30 or 40 years – so that now consumers think that that's the way it is.

It's really quite surprising that this hasn't been directly addressed in legislation – but it hasn't. Instead you will have to fall back on the unfair terms provisions in the Consumer Rights Act.

Post a draft of the letter of claim and we'll have a look at it later on

Thanks I appreciate your time

How does this sound?

On FRIDAY 29TH May I used your service to send a parcel under the above reference number.
The parcel did not arrive at the destination and after several exchanges with your customer service staff, I was told that the item was lost.

I was also told that I would not be entitled to full compensation for my items despite having provided you with receipts for these items as I had only opted for the standard £20 compensation. I did not opt for this compensation – as you will know, there is no option to decline this basic cover when scheduling a parcel. Furthermore, it is grossly unfair for a consumer to have to insure against your negligence and contrary to the unfair terms provisions in the Consumer Rights Act.

I'm quite sure that you are fully aware that any term you might have in your contract which relies on customers having insurance against your negligent handling of their items causing them to be lost is an unfair term and is unenforceable.

I notice that you systematically rely on such terms to deprive your customers of the correct compensation and effectively to protect you from the consequences of your negligent handling of your customers’ sent items.

If you force this to a court hearing – you can be certain that I shall be producing evidence from many different sources to show that you systematically lose parcels and decline liability on spurious grounds which are unfair and unenforceable.

The contents of my parcel were worth £160. There was also the cost of the postage which was £9.92. The full amount I am claiming is therefore £169.92. You may email me at ____________ in order to arrange this payment.

If I do not have reimbursement in full within 14 days then I shall issue a claim in the County Court to recover this money from you plus interest and without any further notice.

Yours faithfully

_____

For the benefit of posterity

Most recent response from Hermes following emailed letter of claim (I will be sending hard copy too)

Hi _____,
I'm sorry you are unhappy with the settlement amount presented to you.

As you know we are a self-serve company, however we do everything we can to encourage our customers to check the compensation. We prompt our customers on three separate occasions to check that they are happy with this, and then ask them to confirm they understand and agree to our T&C's.

It is the responsibility of the shipper to select an appropriate amount of cover for their parcel, as this was not done you accepted the risk of not being paid out the full value of the parcel in the event of a claim.

We understand that this is not the outcome you were expecting and apologise for any and all inconveniences caused.

So we can make the payment of £34.92 as offered, please send us your bank sort code, account number and your name as it appears on your bank account.

Once we’ve got your details we’ll make the payment, this will take around 14 working days.
If you have any further question,

please let me know.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, to update, I posted out the letter of claim on the 14th July which has been received and presumably binned by Hermes.

I'm a little concerned after having read a previous thread (linked underneath) which seems to be very similar to mine in the way that the claimant lost based on a Judge's interpretation of the consumer rights act.

Are there any other similar cases/threads which show the claimant has won?

It seems to me that Hermes tend to buckle when they try to defend their prohibited items clause but I can't see any evidence of them conceding when it is based on their contract only providing £20 insurance.

It would be nice to see whether anyone has won a similar case.

Am I correct in assuming that I should issue court papers on the 29th and keep my claim form succinct?

yes, obviously it is a risk. You had seen our comments that we feel that he was unlucky in his judge and also that the case could have been better argued. However, it will be down to the strength of your arguments and to the judge.

by any standards , it is unfair that you should have to take out insurance to protect a company against their own negligence . 

yes it is best to keep your particulars of claim concise and we would suggest that you post your draft here before you issue the claim