Back billing by British gas

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1404 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved into a new build property in 2017.

I haven't had a bill until now and they are asking for over a grand.

When i got through to somebody and asked about the 12 month Ofgem rule, they tried telling me that they were going from meter readings and because i have never had a bill before that it doesn't count as back billing.

To be honest the line was rubbish and the customer service representative also had an accent so i didn't undersatnd what she was saying.

Does this sound right or should i be saying they need to reduce the bills and only charge for gas and electric in the last 12 months?

If they have had all the information they needed – meter readings et cetera – to provide bills and they haven't provided them then they will be limited by the back billing code.

So have you provided them with meter readings? Presumably you opened your account correctly. Are you recording your calls? Have you read our customer services guide and implement the advice there?

I'm also going to ask why you haven't queried at all the fact that you have been using gas and electricity and haven't at all been curious at the fact that you haven't received any bills.

That's a fair question.

Initially i expected to hear from the gas and electric supplier.

I didn't even know it was British gas until speaking with my neighbour.

I've had it in mind to sort out for a while but was wary of a massive bill so i'd been waiting for a time when i could afford it.

I'd seen the ofgem law online and obviously wondered if it would be applicable. 

The electricity was set up on a smart meter so they've had accurate readings although i haven't rung to register with them until recently.

Well if there is a smart meter so that they are aware of the usage then there doesn't seem to be any issues for them not having contacted you earlier and letting you have your bills. I think you should send them an SAR immediately.

However, I don't think that you've helped yourself very much by not having contacted them and registered with them. I'm sorry to say that I think it's the responsibility of any person moving into a new home to sort those things out immediately. Apart from anything else, you have a risk of falling into one of their "deemed contract" tariffs – where because you haven't actually arranged a contract with them, they simply deem a contract to exist on their highest and most disadvantageous tariff.

I have issues with that system as well because I think that where a price for services has not been agreed then a reasonable price should be implied. However this is not the way the industry works.

I'm certainly mystified that they didn't contact you before – but am afraid that people will look askance when they understand that you also didn't contact them before.

Send the SAR. In principle you should be able to benefit from the back billing code – but on the other hand there may be suggestions that you deliberately didn't register with the energy provider and that you are actually trying to manipulate the back billing code. If that argument was accepted, then I'm afraid that you would be bang to rights for the whole lot – and maybe at the deemed contract rate.

so you've been putting money away since 2017 I hope??

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks very much for your replies. I appreciate your time and advice. I've decided that having not registered in the 1st place, I've should just  clear off the debt.

Well it would certainly mean a lot less trouble – but you need to be sure because maybe there's no need to put up your hands quite so quickly.

If you want to try and contest any of it – then of course we are happy to help

I would certainly send them the SAR