How to refute a request for DVLA Medical

MidnightRaven
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1407 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My license was revoked last Feb when I declared I had been dependant on alcohol in the past. They revoked it for 1 year.

I have never been convicted, had seizures, blackouts etc, I was a very tame but honest drunk

I re-applied in Feb and my Dr completed their questionnaire supporting me having 1year sobriety and I had blood tests at the Dr showing good liver function etc.

The DVLA have now requested I have a medical because I was Dependant.

Due to Covid their labs are closed and they cannot say when I can have one.

I am also a Carer of a vulnerable child and wife of a critical Covid worker.

I have found in law that they need reasonable grounds to request their medical, they don't seem to. They say their processes say I have to, so I have to.  

HELP! How can I make them change their mind about making me need a DVLA medical that make take ages?

Many thanks

19 hours ago, MidnightRaven said:

Hi,

My license was revoked last Feb when I declared I had been dependant on alcohol in the past...

Do you mind if I ask whether there was a particular reason why you declared an alcohol dependency from the past?  Presumably you were - and are - no longer dependent?

I'm not suggesting you should not have declared it, but I'm surprised you volunteered the information... (if it was volunteered...)

Short answer - stupid but honest.

Long answer - had mental health crisis to declare and answered alcohol questions that were on same form.

If my MH was good at the time I filled out form, I probably would’ve completed it differently. As I had single drinking session night before MH hosp admisssion, I hadn’t drank for 9mths previous. Form was Feb last year so can’t do anything about that now I don’t think. It’s just the request for a ME that will take ages and I dont understand why they’ve requested it.

MH has been good for over 3months now so DVLA happy with that. 

Edited by MidnightRaven

Honest - not stupid at all.  Good for you.

Ironic that you end up having a problem with DVLA and not the 1,000s (10,000s or 100,000s) of other more dishonest people with an alcohol dependency.  (I used to work for a mental health trust so have some idea of the numbers).

I can't advise on the DVLA medical - hopefully others can.  Hope your mental health stays well and you remain abstinent.

Good luck!