Negligence on car service

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1415 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, 

I am just after abit of advise. 

On 21st May I got my car serviced, this was done through a company that acted as a "3rd party" for garages. When the car was collected I told the man that when the engines turns on the car will shudder, he assured me that it will be checked during the service and if they find anything they will contact me. 

It gets to lunch time and I get a phone call saying my car needs a full oil reflush and top up, along with my break fluid needing to be drained and topped up - it would cost £400. I said no. That was all that was mentioned. 

I get my service report from the 3rd party and everything has come back as ok, my tyre PSI is 32 on all 4 tyres and under spark plugs being checked and replaced it said N/A 

2 days later I ended up going to Morrissons to put air in my tyres, the PSI ranged from 22 - 25 on all 4 tyres - 1st lie from my service report. 

I contacted the 3rd party and told them what had happened, they had lied on my report about checking my tyres, they also never re-set my service clock. The 3rd party refunded me £65 of the original £167.08 paid. 

We come to Friday 5th June I was driving down the motor way doing 70mph and my car starts to shudder and loose power - Imagine air turbulence that is how it felt. my car was dropping speed, I fortunately managed to get the speed back up and made it to my final destination.

Didn't drive my car again until Monday 8th June, started the engine and it shuddered and turned off.

I immediately contacted the AA within 40 minutes they were out and replacing 3 spark plugs

- The same spark plugs that were marked as checked and not needing replacing on my service report from 17 days earlier.

I have today contacted the 3rd party again who have refunded the whole amount of the service and for the money paid to the AA ( £164.72 in total)

they also informed me that the garage did not check my spark plugs as my car was under 50,000 miles - This is a lie.

On Monday the AA took my milage as 50,877 I have not in 17 days driven 877 miles

- My insurance tracks my miles so I know down to the mile how many I drive a day.

some days I do not drive at all as I am working from home. 

What I want to know is, does this count as motor negligence, if the worst should have happened on Friday then the garage could have potentially had a manslaughter case on their hands.

Is there a way I can take this further.

I do not think £229.72 refund is acceptable for what has happened.

I know many of you will think "you should be happy you're still alive" which trust me, I am!

More than you will ever know! especially as I had my mum in the car and  her safety is my main priority but I am sick and tired of people trying to take advantage of situations and because I didn't pay £400 for additional work they have done no work. It is not ok! 

Hi AL,

Please reply to the PM I've just sent you.

Well done for turning down the offer to change oil and brake fluid for £400. I doubt it would have been done thoroughly.

Time to ask around - either friends or family - find someone who comes properly recommended as trustworthy and reasonably priced.

Depending on your car's age, mileage, etc, you need an appropriate level of service to keep the car safe and reliable, and ready for it's MOT.

Did you use the 3rd Party because they collect the car from you and bring it back ?  Sounds like a recipe for poor service and big bills for those who are not mechanically minded.

Out of interest, what car make and model and what age ?

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)