Swinton insurance renewal want to charge me £60 - Damage notified but no claim made

Fxy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1382 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am just renewing my car insurance and would ask for advice please. 

A roof tile fell on my bonnet during the high winds a few months ago and i contacted my insurer to see if it would be viable to make a claim and repair the minimal damage. 

With what I was quoted, the garage said get a replacement bonnet, I decided not to proceed and no claim was made. 

On trying to renew my insurance I was quoted a price that I accepted but the company has just come back to me to say they want another £60 as I had an undeclared claim they weren't aware of, this being bonnet damage that I did not claim against. 

With me making no claim why should my premium be affected by this and do all insurers work this way? 

Thank you for any advice that you may be able to offer. 

Diane

• dx100uk changed the title to insurance renewal want to charge me £60 - Damage notified but no claim made

re-titled and moved to the motor ins forum

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Fxy and welcome to CAG

Can you name the insurance Co involved.

Insurers and/or brokers use all manner of schemes to get more from you.

Have you tried a comparison site to see if you can move to get a better quote. Just make sure you answer all Q's accurately.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

If you phone an Insurers about a possible claim, they will make a record of this.  There would be an open claim event record and even if you decided to not bother continuing with the claim, the claim event would still be on your Insurance records.

The Insurers are probably correct that with this claim event record with zero being paid out, that they would charge you an extra £60 per year. The Insurers calculate risk based on all information and this claim event is seen as an indicator that the risk has increased.  

Insurers from statistics believe that once one claim event has happened, there is an increased chance of there being another claim event.  You may have heard the expression, "bad luck runs in threes" or heard people saying that they have not had an accident for years and then in a short space of time they had suffered several accidents.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Slick, the insurers involved are Swinton and I took the policy after doing a comparison search to see who would come in at the best price.  I would pressume that if they are aware of my notification but no claim then so would all the other companies be, an expensive lesson to learn.

• dx100uk changed the title to Swinton insurance renewal want to charge me £60 - Damage notified but no claim made

Insurers can't call it a claim if you didn't make a claim under the policy (so they can't, for example, use your call to reduce your NCB).

But many policies require you to report any damage to the insurer even if you don't make claim, and this is usually one of the questions asked when people are getting quotes through online sites. There is nothing to prevent an insurer increasing your premium if your car has been damaged even though you didn't make a claim. It feels unfair, but that's what's allowed. (Insurers' logic is that if you have had a small accident that you haven't claimed for you are statistically more likely to have another accident and next time it might be larger. I know that doesn't sound very logical when it's a tile falling off a roof, but "the computer says".)