Role Redundant Offered Alternative Role Same Pay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1384 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was asked to show a couple of parts of my role to a colleague at the end of March then furloughed (choice of furlough or redundancy), that person was later furloughed themselves. I've heard very little from my employer - just a couple of written updates and I have now been at the company 2 years.

This week I got a message off the managing director (my boss) wanting to speak to me. An undated letter (postmarked previous day) then arrived in the post saying all areas of operational expenditure are under review which specifically mentions the area I work in as well as peoples roles and staff numbers in general.

I had the call and was told due to the decrease in expenditure in the area I work in there would be not much work which meant my role would be technically redundant, but I am being offered an alternative position with the same pay.

Details have since been sent to me saying it's a company restructure due to lost income because of the lockdown, they need to change their operating model and reduce cost base. There will be minimal expenditure in the area I work in until the end of next year which is why it's at risk.

I've got the job description and that's it really, I don't know if it's on the same contract, whether there is a trial period etc. doesn't say how long I've got to decide just to take a look at it and get back in touch.

The actual job sounds like part of what I've already been doing, but very sales focused and  reporting instead to the sales director. I'm just wondering why they would make my role redundant but offer me what essentially looks like a demotion for the same pay?

Any help and advice would be most appreciated, thanks.

it is just a sideways move so the rest of your terms and conditions remain unaltered.

Is apparent status more important than having a job? basically if you turn it down you wont even get redundancy pay. Your employer may decide to place a new tier of managemtn above you and that is their prerogative as long as it doesnt change your  job as far as any properly graded structure goes. You say the work is essentially the same as far as job complexity goes so not a demotion.

They clearly see a future for you with the company and having a boss to refer to in the areas you ay be a little weak in will be a plus

Hi ericsbrother,

Thanks for your reply, I just wanted to check how it all sounded so yes seems to be good.

I have worked in sales before and do need a job right now so I will take it. I was told how good my work was etc.

Cheers!