can a family member/friend buy another person a car.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1418 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Nothing to stop you doing that but you do need to take some care with the purchase paperwork.

If you buy it from the garage yourself for a friend the garage paperwork will show you as the purchaser and owner.

You don't want that so make sure your friend buys it and the garage invoices it to your friend.

Where the money comes from would then be irrelevant to ownership.

You can transfer funds from your bank account to pay the garage invoice.

Or, if you are paying for on behalf someone you trust, just give them the money and they can pay for it themself!

The risk there is they run off with the money and don't use it to buy a car.

Who owns or pays for it is entirely different to who is the Registered Keeper notified to DVLA and named on the V5C document ('log book'). The Registered Keeper does not have to be the owner, the RK is the person responsible for registering and taxing the car.

• Like 1

What you may not do is buy on credit/hire purchase for someone else, without declaring that fact to the lender. (They are unlikely to advance the money/credit except in exceptional circumstances).

• Like 1

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you