Giving Landlord Notice that we're leaving

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1384 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning all,

I've had a search through CAG and can't really find an answer.

After 15 years renting, I am now in a position to give my one months notice (will be this Saturday). 

Other than stating "I'm giving your one months notice that we are vacating", is there any legal wording I have to use?

I'm thinking of the following:

Dear Landlord

Please accept this as one months notice that I intend to vacate <property address> on the 30th June 2020. 

The keys will be made available to you in this date.

Please be aware that due to social distancing and my daughters isolation, that I can only meet people outside of our household once we have moved out.

Boris

It's the last sentence I need help with.  Our landlord has a habit of trying to enter the property without permission as she has keys. 

We fully intend to redecorate and replace a couple of the carpets before we leave.

I can't imagine there is any legal form of words necessary at all.

A polite with no saying that your leaving – and maybe thanking them et cetera to assure that there is goodwill.

Apart from that, make sure that you take pictures of everything just as you are leaving so that there are no arguments about the condition of the place. Don't forget that they have to factor in fair wear and tear and they're not entitled to expect a property to be returned them in brand-new condition.

Make sure you take proper meter readings – cancel all accounts and make sure that everyone knows your new address – including DVLA. I would suggest that you make a checklist of things to do over the coming month.

Thanks for that.  I only have an email address for the landlord (private landlord), which she contacted me on last month.

I did the deed on Saturday but have not yet had an acknowledgement.  I've also just paid my rent for June so that is my last payment.

My concern is that come the end of June, if there is no contact from the LL, where do I stand.

I believe that I have done my statutory duties by informing the LL.

Boris

Yep,  that's already done - it's very expensive now, but that will kick in next week for the next six months.  We're moving into a second dwelling on my Aunt's farm so we can look after her (she has dementia) and my wife is already there, so no problem with that.

Phone and broadband have already been cancelled and will terminate on the 22nd.  I've spoken to the utilities and confirmed my move and will give them meter readings on my last day at the property.

Can I let the council know before the event so that the CTAX can be cancelled?

Just to add, I'm doing repairs to anything I've damaged.

Just after we moving in (nearly 15 years ago), there was a terrible problem with mould and it ruinined the wardorbe, bed and tall unit she left behind.  We have replaced these items but not with new, so we are trying to leave the property as we found it.

I do have pictures of all the mould. I will also do a video walkthrough of the property when I'm done

Just one word of advice.

Your utilities suppliers.

When you take your final Gas and Electric reading, send them yourself to the suppliers and take pictures of the final meter readings just encase.

Don't rely on your LL to do it for you.

Good luck.

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Yep, that's on my list of things to do.  I plan to shut of the power and gas and take photo's of the meters, including the water meter.

Cheap replacement carpet arrived today.  I know that the carpet could be described as wear and tear, but it'll make be feel happier known that the LL can't moan about that.