School trip cancelled still no money

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I understand with the current pandemic that it’s taking longer then normal. 

the trip cost £465 paid through parent pay, it was due to take place on 28th March 2020. 

we got the standard email saying the going for refund and also may not get the full amount returned. 

I have requested an update as the money is a lot to us at the moment (it’s a lot to most people), latest update is they waiting to hear from insurance. And again may not get the full amount. 

I have tried to go through the bank but they said they can not help as we paid through parent pay, who I believe most people are struggling with to get money from there accounts. 

any advice as to how I can get this money back ASAP as it’s really needed at the moment. 

Thank you 

I'm not familiar with ParentPay but I believe the school must return the full amount of parent contribution if the trip doesn't go ahead. If they don't first step is a formal complaint to the governing body using the school's Complaints Policy (which must be their website - I'm assuming this is a state school).

Their insurance is not your problem and your refund shouldn't depend on whether they can recover money from any insurance policy they took out.

Coronavirus isn't really an excuse for slow response from them. State schools continue to be fully funded by the government and all school staff should still be employed and working full time (albeit most working from home at the moment).

How did you pay the money?

Also, looking at their terms conditions very briefly https://www.parentpay.com/terms-and-conditions/  it seems to say that your funds are placed in an special holding account which is ring fenced. I have a look at the rest of the terms and conditions yet.

Also, in terms of the chargeback – although a chargeback is basically voluntary – I don't understand why your bank is relying on the parent pay terms and conditions because there is a contract with you and not the bank. The bank is a third party and I don't understand why the bank feels obligated by a contract to which is not a party

Did you actually pay by debit card rather than credit card?

In the current circumstances a wait of at least 2 months from date trip cancelled, before getting a refund is pretty likely.

The schools arranging these trips often use the same Insurance companies as hundreds of other schools arranging the trips around about the same time.

The school probably did'nt submit the Insurance claim until many weeks after the trip was cancelled, as the school admin staff may not have been at school due to the lockdown.  And the Insurance company will have had the same situation, with a lot more work being received with less staff to process it.

Of course you can complain to the school,  ask for details of when they submitted the Insurance claim and what timescales the Insurers have advised about settling claims, but I am not sure they will be able to clarify much. Worth trying though.

This pandemic has caught many organisation out. They just don't have the resources available to deal with so much at the same time and it is going to take months to complete all of the oustanding actions required.

Of course you can look into recovering the money, as suggested by my colleagues, but I have a feeling the school will say refunds depend on the Insurance company paying the claim.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It was Definitely via my debit card, I’ve tried to get hold of parent pay in several occasions, can only email them and no response, the reviews are saying that they don’t respond and are not issuing refunds probably. 

i understand the pandemic is causing back log etc but I had an holiday in October and already that’s been sorted, the holiday in April was sorted, I know it’s a lot more for the school but we get no update other then it’s with the insurance 

A school trip a week before Easter weekend. The volume of trips and Insurances would have been huge.  

The problem with Insurance bought in a bulk way, often through the few Insurance companies that handle this type of business, is that if a major event happens, delays of weeks or months in paying claims is to be expected.

It may be that for  the trips in April and October, these were individual Insurance  policies and not bought in bulk through the school ?  

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

There may be an Insurance excess or other amounts stated in the booking/policy terms, which is deducted and they refund the amount remaining.  Would think that you would get most of it back.

Making assumptions tends to lead to future disappointments.

The school should have given you information about the terms and conditions of the booking, as well as the Insurance they were arranging.

If the school did not provide this information or even tell you how to obtain it, then I think you have a valid complaint about how the school organised this trip.

Suggest that you contact them for the information you are missing and ask them to find out from the Insurers when they expect to be able to settle the claims..

As you will be waiting weeks,  you may wish to look into what help you can obtain. e.g. Benefits, local council help, Government employment help schemes, your employers.

I shall send an email now thank you I’ve looked into the other benefits etc universal credit is paid in arrears as this month my partner earned £1600 on 9th but in June will only get £900 pcm till September we won’t see any help till July. 

thank you for your help 

On 25/05/2020 at 12:28, Ethel Street said:

Academy schools are state schools, so no, no difference

they have responded this morning saying that because they have paid the company already that they can not issue a refund and the company refuse to refund them so only went to the insurance last week! More then 2 months from the cancellation!!

bank are still saying no to helping

Not much you can do, other than wait now. Probably will take another month or so for any claim settlement to be received. 

You won't be the only one chasing payment. The school should have sent an email to all parents affected, just advising of the situation. 

Ultimatelythe governors of the school are liable and you can sue the personally as a last resort but I would be hammering on the Bank's doors. Try letting one of the newspaper financial problems editors know as it is something I havent seen elsewhere and worthy of coverage so they may well embarrass the copany to dip into its account for you whislt still trotting out the same old guff to everyone else

26 minutes ago, ericsbrother said:

Ultimately the governors of the school are liable and you can sue the personally as a last resort 

The governing body as a corporate entity  - "The Governing Body of X School" - is liable. Individual governors aren't liable and you can't sue them personally

thank you I will just have to wait it out, PGL did a notice on social media advising they not refunding anyone, and to go through insurance. 

im more annoyed at the school for not going through there insurance sooner!! They said the insurance has not given a completion date and I’ve still not received any break down of the trip. 

the bank refuse to help due to ParentPay Terms and conditions

290CD429-43A6-40B5-B7DC-409A2DE3111C.png

• 1 month later...

So we got a partial refund and it has been credited to Parentpay, I’ve attempted to withdraw from them but has been declined no reason as to why and can not get hold to them only via contact us, which I have done but still no response from them. 

I have looked up reviews and it seems a lot of people having the same issue and they not covered by the Finical ombudsman, can I raise a dispute with the bank again to try get the money back? 

Nothing to do with your own Bank.  

Try to withdraw the money from Parentpay early next week and if no joy contact them.

It may be that the money is showing, but has not fully cleared on their system,