Experian

mrstead

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4826 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I thought id have a look at my credit score today and was suprised to see it at 854/ 1000.

i said i had been refused a credit card (was looking to use the 0% balance transfer) so could they explain why. They looked at previous addresses but couldnt give me a reason, they did give me 2 other credit scoring agencies but these cost a lot more. Is it worth looking to use these in the event of a problem? Im unsure and dont really want to part with £30

thanks in advance

A lot of creditors will use one of three main credit reporting agencies - Experian, Call Credit and Equifax. However, the creditor who refused you should advise which service they used, and that report should be the one on which they have based their decision.

If you go to checkmyfile.com - Credit reference, Credit file, Credit score you will be able to see reports for all 3 agencies for £16.95.

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

• 1 year later...

Hi,

My Experian credit score was 980/1000 this time last year (Excellent).

I took voluntary redundancy in April but maintained payments on all my commitments. When i checked my credit score it had sunk to 480! (worst there is!)

When I refreshed my Experian profile (without ammending any of the standard options such as declaring that I would be clear of all debt in the next 12 months) it rose to 740 !

In the last month I paid £3k off credit cards and now its back up to 970!

I dont think this system has any reflection on one's earning capacity, or ability to maintain debt commitments. I cant see what value this really gives Banks in assessing your ability to pay as it doesnt appear to look into your earning capacity.

For me, I think its a tool that really should only be used to discover if anyone has hijacked your name.

I find it incredible that Banks are/have been making decisions on such incomprehensive information?

has anyone experienced anything similar?

Lenders use their own scoring methods not the ones that are provided by the CRA's. The ones provided by Experian, Equifax and Callcredit are only a rough guideline as to how they believe leders will view you based on the information that you provide them which enables them to then score you. Banks will not be basing anything on the score that you see. Getting your score from the CRA's will not help you know whether you have been the victim of impersonation fraud - you would be far better in signing up to one of the many free trials they offer (you do have to provide debit/credit card details and you will need to remember to cancel the membership once the free trial is over) where you can view your credit file and they alert you to any major changes.