You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Hi Sorry but why am I getting email after email about this post sent to me ?   
    • if your loan is an unsecured loan, but you own a home were they to make you bankrupt, could you lose the home....... .............   i will assume you are talking about your wife's debts? as you've said YOU don't own a home ?  
    • Shops at the retail park beside me were mobbed today, last week the motorway between Glasgow and Edinburgh was as busy as it ever has been.
    • I have a loan with Commsave dx, the deductions come straight from my wages. When you join you tell them how much you want to save either weekly or monthly and you authorise them take deductions from your wages towards your savings account with them, same thing apply's when you have a loan with them.
    • I went from Virgin Media to Sky Q earlier this year as I wasn't a great fan of Tivo and was keen to try Sky Q.   When it was installed, I was offered the chance to replace my aging (ten year old) dish which I accepted.   In the last few days, I've come to the conclusion that Sky Q isn't for me and that I'd ideally like to downgrade it at the end of my contract to go back to using my old Sky+ HD box, which I still have.   Much to my surprise, I subsequently found out that the LNB on my dish would not be compatible as Q uses a special "wide band" LNB and the older boxes do not.   I contacted Sky to confirm this, which they did.   They also told me that there would be nothing they could do and that if I wanted to continue using my dish with my older box then I would have to pay to get it re-fitted myself which, after some investigation, would cost me at least £150 pounds.   The issue of future compatibility wasn't mentioned anywhere in the literature or the official Sky Q contract, but the Sky employee I was talking to agreed that it could present a problem and said that he would pass it "up the ladder" to see if the wording could be changed to better explain it to prevent any future problems - all the while telling me there was nothing they could do for me specifically.   I understand that I'm getting the service I paid for, which I have no issue with.   I understand that I'm only loaning the equipment and that it has to be returned at the end of the contract.   That I also have no problem with.   The contract also states that the dish becomes mine at the point of installation as well, which is also fine.   Basically, Sky have provided the service stated in the contract.   My problem with this is that Sky must clearly know that many people use, and still use, older boxes.   They still sell viewing cards for these older boxes, so that in itself should be enough to prove that they are aware of the compatibility issues between the two pieces of hardware.   Should there not have been even a small advisory akin to "Customers please note: Sky Q dishes are not compatible with older hardware" ?   By choosing to omit this information,  it not only prevented me from making an informed decision at installation, as I could have apparently asked for what's called a "Hybrid LNB" which would be compatible with older hardware, but it will also leave me significantly out of pocket at the end of the contract.   Is there anything in this ?.  Can I challenge this in any capacity ?.   Ideally, I'd like them to let me out of the Sky Q contract so I can downgrade to the Sky+ HD box I own, but I accept this will likely not be possible.   I'd be interested in your thoughts.   Thankyou.
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 6 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
erikborgo

Missed first Capital One payment of many

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section of the website to post this,

but I've just missed a repayment on a Capital One card debt and I would like to know what happens exactly when I fail to pay the subsequent payments.

My business has collapsed and I can't pay them, is it bailiffs next?

What rights to I have?

Can I deny bailiffs entry and how long will it take before they take me to court?

When will they freeze the interest?

I also have an Aquacard debt which I also am unable to pay.

I've paid thousands more back to Capital One than the original debt.

Is it a personal use account/s or connected to your business ?

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The Capital One card debt is a personal debt dating from 2005. 

The Aquacard is from 2007, also a personal debt.

I've been paying £120 a month in interest ever since.

• Like 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you ask for a payment freeze from Aqua, they increase the interest rate to 39%. 

I'm not in a position to pay Aqua now or later. 

I can't pay Capital One either. 

I'd just like to know what happens next - is it bailiffs? 

Does the debt recovery process start after 3 missed payments?

Can I deny access or will they break in?

How much are bailiff's charges? 

How long will it take to get to court? 

Will they freeze interest once it gets to court?

Can I convince them to freeze the interest now? 

I've paid so much more than the debt, what chances are they can be convinced to write both debts off?

13 minutes ago, erikborgo said:

If you ask for a payment freeze from Aqua, they increase the interest rate to 39%. 

I'm not in a position to pay Aqua now or later. 

I can't pay Capital One either. 

I'd just like to know what happens next - is it bailiffs? - no bailiffs are only MIGHT get involved IF the original creditor sells the debt to a powerless DCA and they MIGHT take you to court, but that is months if not years away.

Does the debt recovery process start after 3 missed payments? - original creditors might start sending letter straight away.

Can I deny access or will they break in? - no-one can ever break-in on civil consumer debt - even if they get a CCJ and the jusge latterly allows bailiff enforcement.

How much are bailiff's charges? - max £310.

How long will it take to get to court? - as above.

Will they freeze interest once it gets to court? - interest should be frozen now.

Can I convince them to freeze the interest now? - as above.

I've paid so much more than the debt, what chances are they can be convinced to write both debts off? - quite likely, shame you've blindly kept paying for so long.

when did you take these cards out please? 2007 and 2007 as above?

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

Once you miss payments you will be informed by the creditors with Notice of Default...allowing you time to rectify the arrears.....if you cant rectify the arrears you will then receive a Default Notice..allowing 14 days to rectify otherwise they will default the agreement and possibly terminate the account.Your credit files will reflect the default and will remain on show for 6 years.

Normal procedure then is that they sell the debts to a DCA ...who will chase you and possibly litigate against you with a court claim for a CCJ.

If you fail to pay the CCJ or agree a payment plan then they can execute the judgment by use of County Court Bailiffs.

So its important to speak to the creditors now and explain your situation...they should be more sympathetic during the present crisis's in agreeing some payment holiday.....but as you state you will possibly be never in a position to resume payments...then ultimately your credit files will be marked....what comes after that is unknown until it happens...there is no set process. 

• Like 1

Just tell them the truth. There is a lot more forbearance out there than you might think at the moment.  Ring them now, it will put your mind at ease.

• Like 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Posted (edited)

Thank you for your replies. I don't know how to quote text, apologies:

"Can I deny access or will they break in? - no-one can ever break-in on civil consumer debt - even if they get a CCJ and the jusge latterly allows bailiff enforcement."

That is reassuring to know, thank you.

"Will they freeze interest once it gets to court? - interest should be frozen now."

How do I go about requesting that the interest gets frozen now?

"I've paid so much more than the debt, what chances are they can be convinced to write both debts off? - quite likely, shame you've blindly kept paying for so long."

You're right.  I've been trying to get to a position where I am able to finally pay these debts off but with this Covid-19 pandemic, it can't happen.  I really thought I'd be able to finally settle these debts this year, but much of my trade is tied to the restaurant sector and that has all but collapsed.  I can't afford the interest payments in any sort of arrangement.  How do I go about requesting that they write both debts off? 

"When did you take these cards out please? 2007 and 2007 as above?"

Capital One debt started in 2005, Aquacard debt started 2007.

Edited by erikborgo

25 minutes ago, Andyorch said:

Once you miss payments you will be informed by the creditors with Notice of Default...allowing you time to rectify the arrears.....if you cant rectify the arrears you will then receive a Default Notice..allowing 14 days to rectify otherwise they will default the agreement and possibly terminate the account.Your credit files will reflect the default and will remain on show for 6 years.

Normal procedure then is that they sell the debts to a DCA ...who will chase you and possibly litigate against you with a court claim for a CCJ.

If you fail to pay the CCJ or agree a payment plan then they can execute the judgment by use of County Court Bailiffs.

So its important to speak to the creditors now and explain your situation...they should be more sympathetic during the present crisis's in agreeing some payment holiday.....but as you state you will possibly be never in a position to resume payments...then ultimately your credit files will be marked....what comes after that is unknown until it happens...there is no set process. 

I wonder what kind of help they could offer over the phone?  If you apply for a payment holiday online with Aquacard, you must agree to an increase in interest rate to over 39%, what sort of alternatives can they offer on the phone?  Will they freeze the interest or write off the debt via a phone conversation?  I'm nervous of phone calls and would much rather have a paper trail.

do NOT ever use phone nor email. or at best record your calls.

it is better never to talk about debt over the phone to anyone

send them our pro-rata letter from the debt collection section of our library.

use the advice in the two links andyorch referred too and add a line about the current  covid-19 situation also asking to take-up the 3mts break

• Like 1

You wont know until you speak to them.....but speak to them not on line.....

Here a re a few letter templates from our library

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/298-debt-collection/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, London1971 said:

Just tell them the truth. There is a lot more forbearance out there than you might think at the moment.  Ring them now, it will put your mind at ease.

I'm not sure how much help they could offer via phone, given that Aquacard in particular want you to agree to an increase of interest rate to over 39% when you apply for a payment holiday online. 

I would much rather communicate with them by letter because I would never have a record of what happens during a phone call.

follow post 11 then

dx

Thank you for all of your replies. 

How do I prepare a financial statement?  Is there a general form which is acceptable? 

Will the financial statement require my business accounts are up to date?  I haven't yet submitted my accounts to the HMRC for 2019-2020, only 2018-2019.

This might seem a silly question but on the CAG library letters, where it says:

PRINT OR SIGN YOUR NAME DIGITALLY

Do I write my name in block capitals by hand or print my name using a printer in whatever font I'm using?

Not really we get it all the time...... Print it ...there is no requirement for a wet signature.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Andyorch said:

Not really we get it all the time...... Print it ...there is no requirement for a wet signature.

Sorry about this, do you mean print a scan of my wet signature? 

Or do you mean print my name in block capitals using something like "Times New Roman" and use that to serve as a signature?

never sign any letters

just computer type you name 

• Like 1

Thank you. 

Sorry about my continuing to run at a question, the answer to which is undoubtledly very obvious to those in the know. 

This means I can use my 33 year old dot matrix printer, which is the only one which has any ink.

Should I send the letter asking them to write off the debt first?

Or should I first send the one asking for them to freeze the interest?

Or can I combine the two letters asking them to freeze the interest and write off the debt, in one letter?

Is there a form in your library for a Personal Budget Sheet or any guidance on how best to draw one up for Creditors?

If you amalgamate the templates it kinda defeats the object...its one or the other...try the freezing interest first IMHO.

There is a good I&E sheet attached to the N245 which is the court approved for......see here:-

• Like 1

I would go with the pro rata letter for now

get the issue sorted then p'haps later please poverty.

there is a budget sheet in post 3 of the pro-rata letter topic use that?

25 minutes ago, Andyorch said:

If you amalgamate the templates it kinda defeats the object...its one or the other...try the freezing interest first IMHO.

There is a good I&E sheet attached to the N245 which is the court approved for......see here:-

Thank you, I will use the items listed on the form and type it all out into a separate sheet. 

I have a couple of hundred pounds in my account for suppliers, which I need to keep in order to maintain my current earnings - such as they are during this pandemic.  Can my creditors see how much I have in my bank account?  If they can, it could give impression that I can pay the current monthly interest.

Thank you, I will send them this letter and the sheet.

Is there some threshold of savings beyond which my pleading poverty would be ignored?  I have to pay suppliers from my bank account and have a couple of hundred pounds saved, in order to enable me to do so.