• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Hello   Thank you for the help you are providing on this forum. I have read around the various threads for Hermes and have found the advise very useful.   I have a case against Hermes for a lost Item where they have offered the standard £20 plus postage refund.   13th January - I sent my Car's original ECU to a technician for repair via MyHermes.  22nd January - As consignor, opened a case for a parcel that had stalled on Hermes tracking. 25th January -  I chased the delivery via telephone and was advised the item had been lost. On the same day, I sent my first letter through their automated system where I offered an reasonable settlement for loss of property.  26th Feb - I received the below response from MyHermes   Hi ****, Thank you for your recent email/correspondence about your claim. We’re 100% dedicated to ensuring every parcel arrives safely, but unfortunately, a small number do become damaged or lost within our network. If this happens, we will seek to remedy this and we are happy to pay up to the level of cover selected by the customer, for included items. I have investigated your claim and I'm pleased to confirm, due to the level of cover you chose within our standard compensation, we will be processing a payment for the maximum value of £20, plus postage costs, back to you. So that we can process this as quickly as possible for you, we kindly request that you send us some details: - your bank sort code - your bank account number (the short one, not the long card number) - your name as it appears on your bank card We thank you for your patience on this matter and ask that you allow up to 14 working days for the payment to reach you. If you need anything in the future, please contact your Hermes Customer Service Team and we’ll be happy to help. Kind regards,   ****   Thanks to the information on this forum, I'm sure they are 'Pleased' to confirm and 'Happy' to pay this low amount for their breach of contract. In addition I am also aware that there is no need to insure against their negligence for loss. I'm now at the point where I need to decide whether to accept their offer and walk away or push this further and take them on.   If I choose to pursue this matter, I understand that 1) I need to send a letter of claim and give MyHermes 14 days to respond. 2) Register on the Money Claim website and complete particulars of claim The particulars I should file would be: The claimant paid the defendant £6.29 pounds on 13th January to carry out the delivery of the claimant's Car's original ECU to a UK address.  On 25th January, the defendants admitted to losing the Item. Despite this, the defendants have refused to reimburse the claimant for the value of a replacement ECU and recoding.   The claimant seeks £170 being the value of replacing the lost item. Plus £6.29 delivery cost and legal fees.   Total £176.29 plus Legal Fees   Firstly, Have I understood this correctly?   Secondly, I was able to rectify the situation of my non-function Car because I had a spare ECU and taught myself the skills to get it up and running. Therefore, the only evidence I have of the replacement value is from prices published online at resellers. i.e. I don't have receipt for replacing the lost item. Would this go against me?     Many Thanks       first letter.docx
    • Morning all,  hope you are all keeping well and safe, thoughts please, a company called “capquest” sent me a text message on Sunday advising that I need to speak to them “about my debt”    i briefly looked online and it appears as they are a debt collecting agency which is very odd  - I am lucky that aside from my mortgage I have no other open/rolling debt.  I have paid off years ago the loan I had for the house refurbishment. No balances on credit card,  no defaults, no CCJs. Also  I have never dealt with Capquest.    are they scammers?    Have they just bought mobile numbers and they are changing it by sending text messages?   should this be reported?    Cheers    Red11    
    • Morning.   Had no response to any info request at all, other than a letter saying information had been requested as it wasn’t currently held. Given that 28 days have passed, next step is to approach the court, I believe? Or should I be allowing some extra time for any post to arrive, given COVID?   MCOL still shows we are at the defence stage in the recent transactions box.   Thank you for your advice.
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Overdrafts

How overdrafts work and why young people should avoid them where possible.

Watch the video here or on the Youth Consumer Service Instagram page. Did you pick up all of the information? Do the quiz

• 8 months later...
I just completed this quiz.

• My Score
    87/100
  • My Time
    153 seconds

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I just completed this quiz.

• My Score
    87/100
  • My Time
    151 seconds

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

urm i've my doubts on the correct answers if 2 siteteam get it wrong.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...