eBay refunded buyer £700, told them to keep the item, told me to ask nicely to return it....

KL2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1374 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am writing here as I am out of options,

I’m now talking to a brick wall and having live chats ended on me, I can’t even call at the moment. I have spoken to eBay countless times and believe what they’re doing to me is morally and legally wrong,

I am currently furloughed from work and decided to sell a few household items as I’m planning on moving out next year I still need to keep my savings and survive in the current circumstances we unfortunately find ourselves in. I’m also an apprentice, it’s not like money is disposable to me, and this is a huge loss.

I decided to make an eBay account with my brother to sell household items, I bought an iPad Pro in January with the intention of using it for work and never got round to using it as work issued me with one.

However, I decided to list it on eBay, and found my eBay account to be suspended. I contacted eBay who unsuspended it after verifying my items and the whereabouts of them.

I was a bit weary but continued to sell items and ship them with tracking and got no negative feedback, it was mainly smaller items other than this iPad Pro.

After this, the iPad Pro sold for £690 and my account was again suspended indefinitely due to a high risk of me selling with them (according to Google, this is because you have to ease your way into selling or they find it suspicious). I contacted eBay and asked if it was fine to still send the item and was told it’s completely fine as the item and myself are covered, as is the buyer.

Once the item arrived, the buyer decided he would try and open a return case on grounds I didn’t tell him the iPad was bought from Amazon Germany not Amazon UK. eBay offered me the chance to reject the claim, to which I did stating Apple’s warranty is covered worldwide and all settings are decided on setup it’s not like he’s getting an iPad in another language or carrier locks as it was a wifi only model. He stated the iPad was still sealed and he wouldn’t use it as he wanted a refund.

He then emailed me stating he wanted a £70 refund, to which I rejected as the iPad would sell for £690 still

said I’d happily accept a refund if it was still sealed, to which he stated he had now opened it. My response was if there was an issue as big as he was making out, why did he continue to unseal and use the iPad?

He opened a new case and immediately asked eBay to get involved to issue a partial refund. I then reached out to eBay on live chat stating the reasons I rejected the initial refund and why I don’t think it’s fair to accept a return, especially seeing as how the item is now opened after stating it wasn’t, despite having an issue with the iPad. The person on live chat simply stated my account is suspended and closed the chat on me.

I thought my point has been made at least and left it at that, a few hours later it was decided he would get a refund and was told to keep the item.

Immediately I reached out to eBay who told me as I’m suspended they cannot assist me in any way whatsoever, and if I had a problem with the outcome I need to ask nicely for the buyer to send the item back. I thought and explained it’ll never work, he’s been told to keep the item and got a refund, why would he willingly return it?

Long story short, eBay told me to ask PayPal to return the money if I had a problem. PayPal stated that they cannot assist me as it was an eBay dispute and they have no say over the matter. eBay have stated they cannot assist me, despite them telling me to send the item despite being suspended.

I have reached out to Apple who stated that the iPad is wifi only so cannot even be blacklisted or marked as stolen, making this an impossible case without the help of yourselves.

I can’t even explain how stressed this has made me, I know it sounds a sob story but I genuinely only sold the iPad to pay for my dogs operation, now I’m back to square one, if not back two steps.

I am now in debt to my bank as eBay have debited me the funds of £690 and told me there’s zero they can do to assist me as the eBay account is now suspended indefinitely. And also alongside this, they have still charged me money to sell the item despite refunding the buyer, so in fact I’ve paid eBay £70 to give away my item for free.

Surely eBay are not the law and what they say does not go. I have raised a county court claim against the buyer to return the item or pay for it.

I have seen people on Amazon have success with this and will not just let it go because eBay told me it’s their decision. It’s a big loss, it’s not just £20 that I can write off. I have emailed the Telegraph and The Observer, and will contact Citizens Advice tomorrow.

Is there any info anyone can pass along that may help, or emails I can try to reach out to for advice/help?

are you out of pocket or is the negative balance still in the PP account?

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Out of pocket, they charged my paypal balance for reimbursement

PayPal are saying they cannot dispute it as it's linked to an ebay refund 😕

so you paid the £700 debt to paypal, and your PP balance is now £0?

they cant just randomly take that amount of  money from your funding sources

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Exactly this,

I had £700 in my PayPal balance, who eBay charged as a billing source and now they have the money and I have £0.

PayPal are saying it's part of an ebay refund so they can't dispute it or assist with it

remove your debit card (and any others) as a funding source.

LEAVE the bank account for now.

go ring your bank and do a chargeback ,

tell them you have suffered buyer fraud, it's a well known sc@m regarding Ebay/PP.

get the money back for the item and any penalty charges.

i'e reclaim everything that you are out of pocket by concerning the item.

when you've done that

try and remove the bank a/c as a funding source too.

whilst on the phone doing the chargeback, tell your bank NOT to honour any requests for payment by any method inc DD , continuous payment authority, or any other method .

there is nothing ebay/pp can do to you as they are not in this country but ran away to luxy to avoid £B's in UK taxes ..

then simple ignore everyone. inc powerless DCA's.

drop the court claim, that won't work anyway, out of jurisdiction sadly.

dx

and they

I have now removed everything from the PayPal and changed pretty much everything on it. 

The only annoying thing is, there’s nothing my bank can assist with as I purchased the iPad from amazon in January and PayPal took the money from my balance not my card. 

Very stressful, appalling behaviour from eBay. 

ouch, you should never leave a PP balance ...

I didn't mean your original amazon purchase of the ipad 

not sure about what else to do, see if bankfodder pops in..

dx

and they

Doesn't eBay have any kind of UK office at all? Doesn't PayPal have any kind of UK office?

Also, where is the purchaser of the goods in respect of you? Name the town that you are in and also the town that your purchaser is in

Carefully reading post 1 again

The op has started a court claim against the buyer?...

Good move as he and you are in the uk

Dx

and they

Yes, I missed that the first time.

It's a shame that he didn't come here first seeing as he joined on January 4.

I'm sure it would be helpful if the OP posted his letter of claim and also a copy of the claim – both redacted in scanned PDF format on this forum. Following the guidance in upload

• 2 months later...

Did you sell it via the Global Shipping Program? 

The first case he opened sounds like a I would like to return the item case (you have the option to decline returns for unwanted items.) 

The second case he opened sounds like a Not as Described case, these can't be rejected, you have to resolve the issue in time with the buyer or they can escalate it too ebay and they will decide the outcome and it never works out for the seller. 

Annoyingly alot of buyers abuse this return system to get money back when the item returned is actually fine they just changed their mind. 

It looks as if the OP has stopped visiting this forum and this thread.

If he wants to make any headway then he has to engage with this thread