Heating oil company spilled kerosene on my driveway - twice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1452 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, 

we live in a rural area and our heating system runs on kerosene which we have delivered when needed.

The company we use have been delivering to us for years. Last year before Christmas we had a delivery of kerosene which is pumped straight into our oil tank in our garden.

After the delivery was made our cat came into the house STINKING of kerosene- she was covered in it.

I complained to the company who apologised and said they would speak to the driver.

today we had a delivery and it was the same driver. I saw through the window that after he’d filled the tank he threw the pipe into the ground instead of putting it back on his truck properly. Imagine a petrol pump after you fill your car, a little dribbles out doesn’t it? 
When he’d left I went outside and there was a strong smell of kerosene, and I noticed large patches on the driveway. I checked to see if it was kerosene by touching it and smelling my hand and indeed it was kerosene.

Ive complained you the company again who again apologised and said unfortunately they can’t do anything about it other than to speak to all of their drivers again to make sure this doesn’t happen. 

Technically now I should report this to environmental health and have a full clean up done, as we live near a 
river and there is livestock on the land.

What can I do and where do I stand? We have animals (cat, chickens and dog) and children and I’m really upset that there is kerosene all over my drive. 

Edited by thedryad
Typo

You've been here since 2013 so you know that you should be recording your calls so you have got good evidence of the conversations you had. That's a good start.

Secondly, you should take photographs of the mess and get two independent quotations for cleaning it up.

Then contact the delivery company on the telephone again, remind them of what has happened and of the telephone call you have already had and tell them that you are putting the work in hand with the cheaper of the two quotes – and because of the urgency, you are simply giving them notice that it is going to be done and you will be looking to them to reimburse you. Given 24 hours to carry out their own inspection if they want and to organise their own cleanup if they think they can do it more quickly.

Confirm this all in writing to them by email and then put the cleanup work in hand. If they won't pay you within a fairly short time then come back here and we will help you take further action.

The only thing that concerns me is that if you are in a remote area, if they are the only delivery company around then if you give them trouble, is there a possibility that they may refuse to deliver to you in the future?

• Thanks 1

kerosene is like blood

it always looks far worse than what it actually

cats chickens dogs pigs and goats have rolled in our wet patches for years without any harm

unless there is a serious pool of it (litres) it wont hurt anything.

dx 

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

just wash it down with weak washing up liquid we use a bucket and broom soon goes away

i will suspect as you describe its just the dribble out the end of a std petrol pump nozzle not litres of it..

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...