You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Above the excellent paragraphs that dx has posted up, add   "I did not receive court papers and was therefore unable to defend the claim because from xxxxx to xxxxx I was away from my address due to the recent lockdown.  I was staying with my elderly mother at xxxxx".
    • Received a letter today 07/07/2020 from a collection agency (MIL collections) for an outstanding debt of £215.00 which they claim was owed back in 2016.   I have never had an account with Shell Energy and presume that they are claiming in the capacity of the former company they took over from First Utilty?  I did have an account with first FU in 2016 however I have documentary evidence proving that I paid in full and final settlement. My question is    1. Are they still allowed to chase after 4 years?   2. Is it legal if they are now a different company ?   3. what should I do next if anything?  I have contacted MIL collections (Truro Cornwall) informing them of this to which they seemed very uninterested and tried to pass the buck.   Any comments or suggestions gratefully received.  Thank You
    • By the way – here's a troubling little question: – If the puppy were to be returned to the breeder, the breeder now finds that they have on their hands and unsaleable puppy. What do they do? Put it down? Abandon it to a rescue centre? I think that when people decide to buy designer animals, then they need to reflect on this.   It may become a loving pet to the new owner – but maybe it is simply "goods" to the breeder.
    • Providing the statement (notice) is served within 6 months of the default charge/s....so technically yes  I suppose they could serve notice that way providing that said statements are given promptly ...monthly bi monthly etc.   I really wouldn't be digging too deep into the legislation...keep your claim to a general holistic claim
    • I know that it sounds extraordinary that one could bring a claim for far more than the cost of the goods or the service – but I hope you won't mind me saying that you have misunderstood the purpose of contractual damages. It's all about remedying the breach. This means that if you sue in negligence or some other tort, to remedy the breach you have to put the injured party back into the position that they were in before the breach occurred – so that effectively there is no breach. Contract damages are intended to remedy the breach. This means that you have to put the injured party into the position they would have been had there been no breach. The parties intended that there would be a sale of a dog without any existing defects. The breach of contract was that the dog came with defects. In order to remedy that breach and put the dog into the condition that it should have been – that both contracting parties expected it to be in – in other words with no dental problem, it means that damages will have to be calculated according to the cost of putting that defect right. I know this might sound strange that you could claim such a high amount – and I'm sure that a judge would be very cautious and worried about it but if the level of damages could be properly substantiated then I think the judge would have no option. If you'd like to look at a similar disproportionate level of damages – but which might be more palatable to you, imagine wedding photos. You commission somebody to take photographs of your wedding – and in fact because of some failure by the photographer, none of the photographs come out. The cost of the photographer might have been £500 for the wedding. Are you entitled to claim your £500 back? Yes of course. However does this compensate you for the loss of these photographs which were intended to become a special souvenir of this once-in-a-lifetime experience and which would be circulated to friends and also passed on to children and grandchildren. No, £500 certainly doesn't. Of course assessing the value of lost wedding photographs is going to be very difficult but at the end of the day, a judge will have to come up with a formula. Normally speaking if you sued for loss of wedding photographs then you would have to claim for a sum "not exceeding £X X X – in the discretion of the court". In fact dealing with this puppy is far easier because you are not speculating on the value of the bonding and the irreplaceable nature of the puppy. You are simply coming up with the cost of necessary dental work to put the dog into the condition that it should have been had there been no breach of contract. It's much easier to calculate this loss then it is to calculate the loss of wedding photos – but I will bet anybody who reads this, that you will find it far more acceptable to claim for the sentimental value of lost wedding photographs then you will to claim for the cost of repairing a dog's dental problems.  
  • Our picks

• Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
REDDRAGON

Barnett Waddingham Problems With My Late Father's Pension.

Hi,

My father passed away last November and he had a small company pension.

Former British Steel.

When he died I contacted all relevant companies.

When I contacted his pension company I was informed that there was an overpayment on his pension of just under £800.

I explained to them that there were no monies in his estate but that there was a property that would be put on the market within the next few months and then any funds owing would be paid out of that. This was acceptable to them at the time.

since then, I have had letters from them stating that as they act as trustees of the pension they require payment. 

they have threatened me with debt collectors, which I know are toothless unless a court  order has been granted.

Despite writing to them, talking to them on the phone, and e mailing them, they still insist on payment.

As you might be aware, during the current situation we cannot get estate agents to view the house or put it on the market. It's ready to go.

My question, am I responsible for paying this debt out of my own pocket?.

The funds will be there once the house is sold.

And finally, this company has trashed my credit file, is there anything I can do about that?.

Thanks for your help.

19 minutes ago, REDDRAGON said:

they have threatened me with debt collectors, which I know are toothless unless a court  order has been granted.

a DCA is still toothless regardless to any 'court order' 

a 'court order' does not magically make them bailiffs.

who is the pension co.?

and no you don't have to pay it

and I doubt the estate does either...I've a feeling you are bein had here,, what can they do..abosolutrly nothing..

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

And finally, this company has trashed my credit file, is there anything I can do about that?.

Who..British Steel ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi, 

It's no longer British Steel that runs the pension scheme.

It's a company that is called Barnett Waddingham. These are the ones I have been dealing with as executor of my father's estate

And these are the ones that have trashed my credit file.

I'm happy to pay it once the house has been sold and funds are available. however, I cannot afford to pay it out of my own pocket and I'm unhappy about the fact that they have marked my credit file as my debt.

How have they trashed your CRAs what have they entered as  negative details ?  Screennshot ? 

Topic title amended

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Hi, 

will try and get something when I can.

I found out that they have entered details on my file when I went into my bank to see about an overdraft as with this coronavirus was having difficulty.

The bank informed me that there was this marker on my file.

You dont personally have a financial relationship with the debt or company in question only a duty to resolve the estate.....I would be advising all the CRAs with a notice of correction and also a warning to Barnett Waddingham to remove it or you will have to escalate matters to to the ICO.

Thank you for your help. much appreciated, will get in touch with the credit reference agencies and request a notice of correction. 

Also tomorrow will contact Barnett Waddingham.

Once again, thanks for your help.

writing only by royal mail.

certainly should not be showing on your dreit file unless you were a named recipient of death? proceeds?

pers I would also send them an sar too

many of these farmed out British steel pensions were heavily mis-managed by these private companies in the 80's 90's

find out what this 'over-payment' is, are you aware what it is? like poss paid out a few months/weeks after his sad demise?

If there was an overpayment you will need details of it as your father's executor so you can look into paying the debt in the fullness of time. If you take a decade sorting things out that is up to you unless a court has ordered you to speed things up.

in the meanwhile speak to the Pensions Advisory Service and tell them about their unlawful marking of your credit files and see if they will intervene.

You may well end up asking the Ombudsman to determine whether their actions are/were reasonable

I would bet on them winding their necks in as soon as a regulatory body is on the horizon

Hi. I'm a bit confused here

According to this link, Barnett Waddingham in Birmingham are the British Steel scheme administrators. The trustees are Open Trustees, part of a law firm in Bristol.

https://www.opentrustees.com/what-we-do/old-british-steel-pension-scheme/

In my limited experience of this type of pension, I'd think that the trustee would be the one handling the money.

Maybe you could tell us a bit more please.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi, 

Thanks for your response.

All correspondence I have had has been with Barnett Waddingham.

There has been no mention in any letters from them stating that they are acting on behalf of anyone else.

The last mail I received from them was on March 23rd.

In it, it states that Barnett Waddingham has been appointed as administrator and payroll provider for the scheme.

All they ask is for repayment of the pension overpayment. 

This was as a result of my father passing away end of November and the pension going into his account a week before his death.

It was not noticed at the time and all monies in his account were used for his funeral.

It was only a week or two later when I contacted Barnett Waddingham that I was informed of the overpayment.

I then contacted them again explaining that there were no funds in his estate.

however, there was a house that would be put on the market and when sold all debts would be paid out of that.

I thought they were happy with this arrangement but since then I have received around four letters asking for the overpayment to be paid, with the last letter finishing with the statement that if the overpayment was not paid by the 23 April then they would instruct debt collectors to recover the payment.

I am happy to honour his debts when the house is sold, until then I cannot afford to repay this overpayment.

Thanks again for your help. Hope this extra info will help.

Thank you for that.

So is it definitely Barnett Waddingham's name on your credit entry please?

HB

Hi,

Yes

Thank you again. Other people here advise on debt collection but I still don't understand why debt collectors were instructed on 23rd April and you already have an adverse entry on your credit record.

It could be me, but could you say more please?

HB

Hi,

There is not really much more can be said.

All I had was a letter stating that on the 23rd April if I had not paid them by then, that they would instruct debt collectors.

i do not know if they have been instructed or not.

I have had no correspondence from Barnett Waddingham since 23rd March.

The only reason I found out about the adverse entry was when I went to my bank to discuss something with them.

I have a very good relationship with my bank, and they suggested that I look at my credit report.

as post 2 re stupid DCA's

dx

get copies of your credit files and then get them corrected or at least a notice of correction slapped on them

anyone else reading your file knows there is a problem.

these people will end up owing you money for their breach of the GDPR and libel but get the records amened first

How are you getting on with this, reddragon?

HB