Centrica/CST claimform - Industrial Training Bond

smooth
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If I may just remind you this is a Directions Allocations hearing...not the actual trial hearing. The court has not order either party to submit any paperwork as yet.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just want to check with yourselves if I don’t turn up to this hearing tomorrow will it be bad or not too important at this stage? I’m going to be on a stag do abroad that’s the only reason I’m asking 

On 09/05/2022 at 13:05, Andyorch said:

If I may just remind you this is a Directions Allocations hearing...not the actual trial hearing. The court has not order either party to submit any paperwork as yet.

I would at the very least inform the court you cant attend.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hey everyone - back off holiday now and I thought I would update you on how the conversation went 

the judge brought up the fact I part admitted to £2,500,

I explained at the time this was because I was dealing with CST Law and this was the amount I was trying to agree to pay to close the case,

I wasn't admitting to anything and since filling that out I realised I made a mistake 

the judge explained I could submit paperwork to the court to withdraw that part admission at a cost £200-£350.

if this is worth doing I will but I wanted to seek advice here first? apologise I don't recall what the exact document was called 

The judge said we would have to attend court in person (in the area I live) in around 6 weeks

I'm waiting on a letter from the court which should be arriving this week 

The claimant's solicitor wanted to request a 4-hour slot but the judge rejected that explaining this matter doesn't need to take up any more of the courts time and 2 hours will be adequate

The claimant said they will be bringing 2 witnesses  

the judge asked if we would want mediation - we both agreed however I haven't had any communication from them as of yet but I explained I'd be happy to stop this going any further if we can come to an agreement on the sum 

I explained to the judge I've never been in a position like this in my life and I never gained anything financially after leaving British gas i.e. i went back to my old job on less pay where I still remain today 

he took his time to explain things which I didn't understand and he seemed quite reasonable, he will also be the judge when I have to attend court. 

the judge explained I could submit paperwork to the court to withdraw that part admission at a cost £200-£350.

N244 and the fee without a hearing as I would consider its not required as you will be attending anyway shortly would be £108.00

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone - i have some comms from the court and claimant which i'll post below / upload .. any advice I would massively appreciate & hopefully you will find the information useful 

The file I have uploaded needed to be reduced in size and some images have been blurred as a result 

Thanks again 😊 

Letter from the court - 

District Judge ****** sitting at the County Court at ********************* has made the following Order;

UPON the court considering the papers including the Directions Questionnaires filed by both

parties.

UPON hearing solicitors agent for the Claimant and the Defendant in person at a telephone hearing

AND UPON the Defendant indicating an intention to seek to withdraw the admission filed following the

commencement of the proceedings

AND upon the court drawing the attention of the parties to the following warning:

The parties are reminded that Rule 1.1 of the Civil Procedure Rules [see http://

www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil] provides that part of the court's overriding

objective is to enforce compliance with rules, practice directions and orders.

Non-compliance with this order will be regarded as a very serious matter and will lead to

sanctions being taken against the non-complying party. These sanctions may, for example,

include excluding documents or evidence at trial or striking out a party's claim, defence or

counterclaim and/or the party in default having to pay the costs.

IT IS ORDERED THAT

Notes

If you cannot, or choose not to, attend the hearing, you must

write and tell the court at least 7 days before the date of the

hearing. The district judge will hear the case in your absence,

but will take account of your statement of case and any other

documents you have filed.

If you do not attend the hearing and do not give notice that

you will not attend, the district judge may strike out your

claim, defence or counterclaim. If the claimant attends but the

defendant does not, the district judge may make a decision

based on the evidence of the claimant only.

Leaflets explaining more about what you should do and what

happens when your case is allocated to the small claims

track are available from the court office or online at http://

hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk and search for leaflet EX306

The court office at the County Court at ********************. When corresponding with the court, please address forms

or letters to the Court Manazer and quote the Claim number. Tel: *******. Check if you can issue your claim online. It will save you time and money: Go tO

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk to find out more.

N157 Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track (hearine)

Produced by:*****

CONTRACT DISPUTES

21. In any breach of contract case documents and information sent to the Court and to every other

party must contain (where relevant)

a) any written contract

b) any alleged amendment or variation of the contract

c) the breaches of the contract

d) what damage is said to have been caused

e) what injury or losses have been suffered and how any (and each) sum claimed has been calculated

f) the response of the defendant to each of the above

Guidance:

You may find it helpful to look at the Advice Now website at www.advicenow.org.uk/going-to-

court/ to obtain guidance as to how this case will be dealt with by the Court and how best to present

your case to the Court

Please note:

• You may have to wait for your case to be heard because many small claims hearings are listed

at the same time as other cases

• You should therefore allow sufficient time to attend Court allowing for the fact that you may

have to wait

Exceptionally, it may be necessary to adjourn your case to another date if it is not possible to deal

with it that day

Date 19 May 2022

For information on how HIMCTS uses personal data about you please see: //www.gov.uk/government/

organisations/hm-courts-and-tribunals-service/about/personal-information-charter

Am wybodaeth ynghylch sut mae GLITEM yn defnyddio data personol amdanoch chi, ewch i: //www.gov.uk/

government/organisations/hm-courts-and-tribunals-service/about/personal-information-charter

ALLOCATION

1. The case is allocated to the small claims track and the parties are referred to Part 27 of the Civil

Procedure Rules 1998 and the Practice Direction to that Part for guidance as to how the hearing will

be conducted

HEARING DATE

2. The case is listed for final hearing on 21 SEPTEMBER 2022 at 2:00 PM at the ****** and

Family Justice Centre with a time estimate of 2 HOUR(s) as an In Person Hearing.

The time estimate is given upon the basis of the papers before the Court. If any party believes that

the time estimate might be substantially inaccurate, that party must notify the Court immediately in

writing explaining why more time may be required

HEARING FEE

3. Unless the claimant does by 2.00pm on 24 AUGUST 2022 pay to the court the trial fee of

£346.00 or file a properly completed application (i.e one which provides all the required information

in the manner requested for help with fees, then the claim will be struck out with effect from 2pm

on 24 AUGUST 2022 without further order and, unless the court orders otherwise, you will also be

liable for the costs which the defendant has incurred.

If your claim has been struck out, it will no longer exist. The hearing will be vacated, unless

there is a counterclaim which survives the claim being struck out in which case the hearing

will go ahead."

WITNESS STATEMENTS

4. By 16 JUNE 2022 each party must send to the Court and to every other party copies of all

documents upon which that party intends to rely at the hearing. This includes the written statements

of themselves and of any other witnesses (if any)

Witness statements must:

a) start with the name of the case and the claim number

b) state the full name and address of the person making the statement

c) set out that persons evidence clearly and in numbered paragraphs on numbered pages

d) end with this paragraph: "I believe the facts stated in this witness statement are true"

e) be signed and dated by the person making the statement

SETTLEMENT

5. If the parties settle the case prior to the hearing they must immediately inform the Court of this fact.

6. This order having been made by the Court without a hearing, any party may apply to have the order

set aside, varied or stayed by issuing at Court an Application in Form N244 (and paying the relevant

fee or completing an Application for fee exemption). The Application in Form 244 must be issued

no later than 7 days after the date of service of this Order.

MEDIATION DIRECTIONS

7. List for mediation because one or all of the parties agree to mediation/judge considers suitable

for mediation.

Having considered the papers in your case, the court believes that your case is suitable for mediation. This is a

very simple process designed to give you the opportunity to resolve your dispute without having to attend a court

hearing. You will be contacted by the Small Claims Mediation Service with an offer of an appointment within

the next 21 days.

Please note that if you do not wish to undertake mediation, you can contact the Small Claims Mediation Service

by telephone on 0300 1234593 or email on [email protected] within 7 days of receipt of this order

If you contact the Small Claims Mediation Service by email please ensure you include a return telephone number,

and the case number. If you require any further information about mediation please contact the Small Claims

Mediation Service by email at the above email.

The mediation service is FREE. Mediation appointments are conducted by telephone and so do not involve you

having to attend court. The mediation appointment is limited to one hour, is confidential and can be done anytime

up to 10 working days before the final hearing. Further information on mediation is contained in the attached

information sheet or can be found at www.gov.uk.

WELSH LANGUAGE

8. If any party is legally represented then when filing any witness evidence, the legal representatives

must notify the Court in writing that:

a) they have advised their client of the entitlement of any party or witness to give evidence in the

Welsh Language in accordance with the Welsh Language Act 1993 (which is not dependant on

whether they are fluent in English)

b) instructions have been taken as to whether any party or witness will exercise that entitlement, in

which case the legal representatives must so inform the Court so that arrangements can be made by

the Court for instantaneous translation facilities to be made available without charge

9. Any unrepresented party or witness for such a party being entitled to give evidence in the Welsh

Language in accordance with the principle of the Welsh Language Act 1993 must notify the Court

when sending to the Court their witness evidence whether any party or witness will exercise that

entitlement whereupon the Court will make arrangements for instantaneous translation facilities to

be made available without charge

TRIAL BUNDLE

10. The Claimant must at least 7 days before the hearing send to the Court and to every other party

a hearing bundle containing all relevant documentation, with an index at the front and with each

page numbered. The bundle should be contained in a suitable ring binder. The bundle should always

contain copies of the following documents when relevant:

a) the claim form, the particulars of claim and the defence (and any counterclaim)

b) the witness statements

c) any expert evidence that the Court has allowed to be relied upon

d) any photographs

E-Bundle - 19.05.22.pdf

Just point 4 (by the 16th June) is applicable to you...draft a statement in support of your defence and attach any documents referred to in the statement.

Good to see its been allocated to Small Claims Track rather than Fast Track

Andy 

I'm not sure what I should be drafting strictly for my defence? I can type up a draft of my reasons for leaving the company, show proof I went back to my previous employer and proof I still remain here today (basically telling my side of the story / never gaining anything financially etc ) 

another point I want to raise is regarding the overpayment from memory I can't recall ever being sent documents that I was overpaid its only recently I have seen this stated in the papers I have been sent - they also say in the file I attached 'proof of which is in CP2' regarding the salary overpayment but there is no documentation of any letters being sent to me in the early years

Are you able to elaborate on what it means to be allocated to small claims over the fast track

Thank you 

Well you draft a statement and reasons and I will turn it into a compliant statement to support your initial defence. In Small Claims Track you are protected from the claimants costs (to a certain degree IE fixed) whereas in Fast Track their costs could exceed the initial claim amount.

wow, thanks Andy! are you able to elaborate on what points I should raise or any evidence I should produce? 

I'm able to produce payslips from the company I worked for before Brit gas and after / possibly employee contracts .. would this be required? 

I can type up a draft statement giving my reasons for leaving / not gaining anything financially ( basically just telling my story as direct as possible ) 

I also made contact with Brit Gas after leaving disputing the training bond and i was told to email a department which i did and I never heard anything until years later 

also, the training went on for approx 5 months majority of that was with a team - I only properly got a real feel for the job / work after that and left relatively quickly thereafter 

Its always easier to wait until you receive the claimants statement which supports their claim..then you can tailor your response statement to oppose their claim and why the claimants claim should be dismissed. That's assuming you have valid reasons why the their claim should be dismissed.

If you have not received their statement by say 13th June bump this topic for my attention.

Yes ....if you can scan redact and upload a copy please.

Thanks I will peruse it tomorrow :thumb:

• Like 1

Yes I have now read it...have you prepared a rough draft in response of why you feel you do not owe this amount then I can incorporate your response into a suitable statement ?

Hi Andy i have typed up the below statement, also I have included emails I had received from Centrica at the time when I was disputing the training bond to which they stopped responding after i sent an email to a department I was advised to send it to, leaving me with the assumption the matter was closed. 

hopefully its all okay 

thank you again 🙏 

statment 1 pdf .pdf

Thanks...although that does not really explain why you don't owe the money rather than just explain the poor working environment and why you decided the work or BG wasn't for you. A court will only look at the facts in black and white...did they overpay you.?..did you have the money ? .....pay it back or explain why you wasn't over paid ?  

the overpayment i don't recall them ever asking for that, of course, what they're saying is probably correct and I will happily pay the overpaid wages. The training bond is my biggest dispute as it adds up to a very large sum. They make multiple points about the overpayment in the statement and then bundle in the training bond (it seems a bit off as there aren't multiple points regarding it like there are about the overpaid wages) -  whatever you can do to improve what I have already done would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Andy 

(sorry if my response isn't that helpful) 

Did you actually ever see any of this training bond (9K) was it paid with your salary ?

No how it worked, if I left in year 1 I would Be liable to pay £9,000, year 2 £6,000 and year 3 £3,000 .. if I worked past the 3 years then left I wouldn’t owe them anything. It’s basically a penalty and way for British Gas to stop you from leaving by threatening you with unintentional debt. Think they used the justification to ‘recoup‘ training cost 

Okay that's what I thought......currently drafting your statement and it should be finished by tomorrow evening at the latest.