BankFodder BankFodder

Choosealetter

DWP capital threshold and income

Posted (edited)

Hi there,

I am on ESA and having been diligently saving I am very fortunate to have almost £5500 in capital. I understand that once I do have £5500 in capital I must inform the DWP. 

I know this is stating the obvious but I presume that any income I receive I am free to spend however I like and there's nothing the DWP can do about this.

The key point being that income only becomes capital following the period within which it is paid. So for example, my ESA payments are made on a fortnightly basis, therefore they only become capital after two weeks have passed from payment. This situation is complicated by the fact that I also receive DLA which is paid every four weeks, so I would presume it's possible for me to have this DLA payment in my account for four weeks before it's deemed part of my capital.

I'm just concerned because I know how useless the DWP is generally, especially the advisors on the telephone and I expect they won't understand how this works. I just don't want to end up having to take the DWP to court as I continue to save up.

Edited by Choosealetter

thought it was £6k?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

The capital limit is £6k but you're required to contact the DWP once your capital reaches £5.5k and there are some murmurings

online that this indicates the DWP presume it likely you have more than £5.5k be it cash under the mattress etc.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, dx100uk said:

thought it was £6k?

dx

£6k is when it starts to have tarrif income, but for some reason the DWP do ask or at least used to, for you to declare when your savings reach £5,500.

Not sure why.

Edited by tomtom256