BankFodder BankFodder

Choosealetter

Starting a charity on ESA

Hi,

I'm currently in the ESA support group. I'm quite well educated and would like to make constructive use of this free time I have.

Whilst I understand I am allowed to do permitted work, I do not trust the DWP, I feel like any work I do will be used against me at my next assessment. 

There is some charitable work I'd like to do which is not covered by any charities I can find locally to me. 

1: How would setting up the charity be seen by the DWP? Would they class this as volunteering, work etc?

2: How would they likely view me becoming a trustee of this charity?

3: Any work I do for the chairty would be voluntary work I assume?

I understand that I would have to contact the DWP as doing any of this would be a change in circumstances I presume. Can I just say I'm doing voluntary work? I'm happy to tell them about the volunteering I'd be doing I'd just rather not have to explain all of the above, like becoming a trustee or setting up the charity itself. 

Sounds all very positive and I would have thought DWP would see it in the same way.

As you say under ESA you are allowed to do 15 hours paid work per week as permitted work.

Volunteering or setting up a charity to enable this, may exceed the 15 hours per week, but as it is your venture, then I am not entirely sure how ESA would want you to record this. In setting up a charity, you would need to take advice from the Charity Commission, as they will have particular requirements you have to meet, such as rules on handling funds you have raised. I know people who have done this and there is quite a lot of paperwork involved.  Find out what is required, before contacting ESA.

https://www.gov.uk/set-up-a-charity

DWP/government have various funding schemes available to support people in setting up different types of ventures.  It may be worth asking about this. Local MP's are often a good source of information.

In regard to work capability assessments, these are based on descriptors being met. As the current assessment is based around questions about what you can do, rather than what you cannot do, then of course, any work that you do, may have an effect on your next assessment.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for the info. I

forgot to add that I wouldn't be doing this on my own and it would probably take quite a bit of time, maybe a year or so I imagine. 

Posted (edited)

Also I think I would rather set up a CiC, it's easier and as it would be a limited company, it would make things easier to diversify later when I was more able to work. 

I can tell from reading online that the moment you mention setting up a company, the reaction from the DWP is rather negative. 

Edited by Choosealetter

Can I suggest that you don't base things on what you read online and in Social Media.  As you will know, people will report anything negative, but are unlikely to report positive experiences.

If 100 people bought a lawn mower,  90 people might be satisfied, of these 1 might spend the time to register a positive report online,  2 make a report that the product was satisfactory, but the 7 who received a faulty product may be so fed up, that they report their negative experience.

So you hear a mixed but mostly negative idea from online reports and you hear nothing from the other 90.

You will know this, but it does not hurt reminding  people should go by their own experiences and don't be put off by negativity of others.

@Choosealetter

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I agree. 

My non-profit work will involve working with old people, unfortunately the coronavirus has kinda put paid to the idea, so unlikely I'd be able to do anything other than set the thing up for the meantime.