BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• in this instance DCBL are operating as mere powerless debt collectors, a DCA.   a DCA are NOT BAILIFFS and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt no matter what it's type.   if their client really had a debt in your name, they'd contact you themselves.   as long as they know your correct address it is safe to ignore silly threat-o-grams.   and tell the others that too.   dx      
    • Hello all.  I'm looking for some advice if I may.   I received a Notice of Debt Recovery dated 26th May from DCBL relating to an alleged debt of 71.08 that apparently I owe to East London Energy/Engie. The problem is, I don't recognise the debt at all and when I moved out of the property I lived in which was served by ELE/Engie, my account was all up to date as I pay by direct debt. I even left them with my forwarding address, which they still have on their records and the closing bill was sent to that address.   DCBL are saying that ELE have sent me correspondence about this debt that I've failed to respond to. But the first I have heard about it is the DCBL letter itself. It's totally flummoxed me.   Here's the problem though, ELE never, and I mean, never, answer their phones. I have called about 30 times, no word of a lie, every day since receiving their letter. Not once have I got through to someone. They're not responding to my emails either.    On the local residents group on facebook there loads of households moaning about the same thing. Lots of them have received these letters, some have managed to get through to speak to someone, some have been told it's an error, others have been told 'you owe the money, tough pay it'.   Everyone is complaining that they can't get through to ELE to speak to someone. I don't know what to do.   Apparently if I don'y pay DCBL by 10th June they will review my case for legal recovery. It all seems desperately unfair, especially when I was the one who was informing ELE when they messed up their billing or failed to take a direct debit. I'm scrupulous about my bills. If I genuinely do owe the money I would have gladly paid it, but I just can't understand where this alleged debt has come from.    Does anyone have any advice? I'm at a loss but really don't want to pay DCBL for this debt I have no knowledge of and their added administration fee. 
    • Hi all, I hope you are all well in this strange time? I'm trying to assist my cousin in a complaint that she has with the PDL Uncle Buck, and I've reached a stumbling block. Loan Amount:       £400 Charge for Credit: £350 Agreement Date: 05-Oct-2018 Disputed Balance: £276.79 From initial information I've seen it's been a comedy of errors with there administration side, but for her, misery. Original Payment schedule sent out to her started from 26.03.2019 - she questioned this. They never replied, so took it as that was 1st payment date. 7th Nov 18 she gets a Missing payment and a charge. Questions this, they adamant charge stands as it was a clerical error, she again disputes. 3 weeks of in arrears messages, they eventually agree to refund £15 - but now insist on I&E as she missed the payment - no change in circumstances. She asked for 3 days grace til payday. No reply.  Default notice issued. This eventually gets it self sorted and they missed payment was factored into the remaining. Dec 18 her fiancee passed away, no way to afford the payments & funeral costs until insurance settles  - UB continue to harass despite telling them the issues. Some how she finds the cash an pays something towards the balance, just to stop the harrassement. She loses her job in Feb 2019 - informs people she owe money to, that now on uni credit. UB state that if she pays x amount they can do a payment plan as she's already in arrears. I told her it's against FCA Conc regs, she emails them - nothing back. No chase emails / calls or anything till end Apr. Settlement offer - pay £355 and we will take care of the remaining balance of £535 she emails them to say she can afford £50 pcm based on the the settlement - they agree. August she gets a statement, remaining balance £235 - they had not used the settlement figure as this was to be paid in full only and also incurred missed payment charges(?) I write an email for her email requesting DSAR etc sent on 1st Sep - acknowledged 10th Sep - info sent through 10th Oct - Account was placed on hold from sept til receipt of DSAR. DSAR shows - comment of being financial difficulty, on UC, payment schedule - 9 call attempts, 4 CPA attempts (she requested this to be cancelled 2mths after taking out loan) list of charges and interest after being informed on UC and put into payment plan. Complaint goes off - complaint partly upheld - £235 still outstanding. Complaint again. Account on Hold again. Fast forward to Jan 2020 - Complaint still being looked into will have response within 6weeks.. Email received - Settlement remaining Balance £320 (they added further charges!) can do 40% settlement in 2 payments. Email goes back stating it's under investigation, would accept £150 settlement but over 5 payments. No reply. 21st Feb - Email Settlement remaining balance £276.79 - can offer settlement figure of 195 but require a payment of £55 within 3days --- this is still despite her being on UC and no reply to settlement. She replies - stating can not afford £55, can do £10 pcm to settle. - They accept, but the balance is now 266.79 and not the 195. No acknowledgement. Payment schedule issued for 10pcm totaling 266.79 -- questioned again - no reply or acknowledgement. March - she notices that UB is no longer on one of her Credit Reports. I told her to check Credit Karma & Totally Money - Both show that they are marked as "Settled"  £0 balance from 03/03/2020 So left it as that. May she gets a call from UB collections, chasing £266.79 as she's defaulted again on her agreement (note - they've never acknowledged any questions) - she informs them that as far as she and her credit reports are concerned she owes nothing. Also stated that even if she did - it should be written off, incorrect balances and reporting and as it's gone against CONC where they insisted on a Payment to set up a payment plan. Person raises a complaint on her behalf and said she is going to get the Credit reports amended as it was a clerical error. 26th May - Sum Of arrears notice " On 05-10-2018 you entered into a fixed sum credit agreement with us under which you borrowed £400.00 repayable by 6 monthly instalments. Your arrears under the loan agreement The opening balance (which is the total amount that is due and owing under this agreement) at the date of the previous Notice of Sums in Arrears (dated 26-11-2019) that we sent to you was £318.27. On this date, the payments that you had failed to pay when due under your credit agreement amounted to £259.29. We are required to periodically send you Notices of Sums in Arrears, at intervals of not more than six months, while you remain behind with the repayments due under your credit agreement. The balance now due under your loan agreement on the date of this notice is £266.79. The total amount of your arrears (the sums that you have failed to pay in full when due in accordance with the terms of your loan agreement) is £207.81" 29th May -  We acknowledge your complaint and are sorry to learn you are dissatisfied with our service. Uncle Buck Finance LLP T/A Uncle Buck (the Partnership) was placed into Administration on 27 March 2020. I confirm that Paul Boyle, David Clements and Tony Murphy of Harrisons Business Recovery & Insolvency (London) Limited were appointed Joint Administrators of the Partnership. They are licensed to act as Insolvency Practitioners by the ICAEW. They are bound by the Insolvency Code of Ethics when carrying out all professional work relating to an insolvency appointment. Today - Final Response:   How Uncle Buck understands your complaint You are unhappy that according to your credit file the balance of your loan had been settled and now you have been advised this is incorrect due to an error made by an agent. Our Investigation and outcomes  An email was sent to you on the 21/2/20 offering a settlement figure of £193.75 against your outstanding balance of £276.79 and that if accepted this would close your account. We advised that we needed a payment of £55.35 to hold this settlement offer. You responded to the email the same day advising that you were unable to take advantage of the offer and asked if we would accept your original offer of £10 per month. We responded on the 24/2/20 asking you to complete an income and expenditure form. This was sent back to us the same day. On the 25/2/20 we advised you that we accepted the offer of £10 per month.  You then responded with the date you would be making the payments, confirmation of this was sent on the 26/2/20.  You then queried the amount outstanding; Claire then spoke to you to discuss why the balance was not the £193.75 as this was a settlement offer. < She has never spoken to anyone about this. -- the person who raised the complaint said an email was sent out! As previously advised the agent who made you a partial settlement offer on the 21/2/20 made an error and added a code to your account which meant that your credit file was shown as partially settled. This has now been corrected. I apologise that this error was made and will be upholding your complaint.  However, I can not agree to write off the balance due to this error.   At no time did you receive correspondence from Uncle Buck advising that your balance had been paid.  You were advised on several occasions after this date what the balance was and a payment plan was agreed. Please contact our collections department to discuss the arrears on your account by the 11/5/20.  If no contact is made then collections activity will commence and your account will be removed from write only. This is our final response. Please note, any complaints raised to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), will be directed to Harrisons Business Recovery & Insolvency (London) Limited.  They are no longer dealing with any complaints raised for the Partnership. And that's where I come to a block - they are saying that FOS will not deal with this complaint, really do not know what next steps are for her to get this resolved. Am I correct that they should not be asking for a payment to agree a settlement especially when someone has declared financial difficulty Any advice would as always be grateful  
    • Please dont forget dca's are NOT BAILIFF s and have ZERO legal powers on ANY debt.   might pay you to read a few threads in the debt self help forum too you'll soon get the idea   Dx
    • Fair enough London1971,    London1971 and Dx thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.    I'll keep you posted on what happens.    Stay safe, take care.    FSR
  • Our picks

MER13

Athena PCN - overstay - Lidl Pinner HA5 3HZ ***CANCELLED BY LIDL***

Silly situation really.

I did shopping for elderly parents at a Pinner, Lidl I

’ve never been to before and did not notice any parking signs. 

Used parents car, that I am insured to use, but not reg. keeper.

Had to run alot of errands and presumed the car park was a free space.

I live with my parents but I frequently work abroad so I’m not always there.

Since the lockdown I’ve been stuck in Spain.

My mother has recently told me she thought there was some paperwork about a fine.

I asked her to collate then all and it looks like I was fined on that day  

She is 88 so not always on the ball.

She is the registered keeper.

I have found your questionnaire about this issue so will answer and get back with further information.

This would have happened in February. 

Posted (edited)

Firstly, it's not a fine.  Private companies don't have the power to fine anyone.

We will ask you for as many details of the event as you have, in order to find holes in the PPC's claim.  However, as a belt & braces approach, get on to Lidl head office.  There have been numerous threads here lately where motorists managed to get the invoices cancelled that way.  If you have proof of purchase with credit/debit cards even better, point out that you were a genuine customer helping out elderly parents.

Have a look at recent pages of the PPC Successes thread at the top to see similar cases with Lidl, in particular  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/420658-athena-anpr-pcn-lidl-4-14-blackbird-hill-london-nw9-8sd-rejected-appeal-ias-cancelled-by-lidl/

Edited by FTMDave

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Another thing to consider.  The PPCs have the problem that they don't know who the driver was.  They know the keeper, but that's not the same thing (although they like to pretend it is).  That's why we say never to appeal - the fleecers reject every appeal, ever, and there's the chance of the motorist outing themselves as the driver.

On the other hand, as your mother is elderly, you might WANT to be outed as the driver to stop her being hassled by these sharks.  Depends what you're all comfortable with.

You could even have a laugh at the fleecers' expense, if your mum sent them a short one-off letter saying you were the driver, you live in Spain at (x address), and that it's currently illegal for you to leave Spain due to the lockdown.  See how the birdbrains deal with that one 🤣

Thank you. Will look at your suggestions Thank you very much. This is a copy I have managed to get. My neighbour took it for my parents. My mum can’t find the other letters yet. 

Athena letter.pdf

You left the registration details showing.  I've redacted the image and converted to PDF so only registered Caggers can see it - best to keep the opposition guessing!

I reckon getting on to the Lidl CEO's office is the initial way to go (good you know the date you were there now) although as much detail as you can give us is very welcome.

reg no's showing!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

Thanks dx.  Missed the registration numbers on the photos.  Sorted now.

Thank you both!!  My neighbour has kindly put her gloves and mask on and gone to look for other letters. I will be able to post them later today. 

• Like 1

Later on please just click on upload - this will take you through the process of redacting & converting to PDF.  It's very easy and even I managed it in five minutes on my first go - and I'm useless at this sort of thing! 

Have managed to do the requirements.

Pls see attached.

I’m first off emailing Lidl HQ. 

23 March.pdf 7 April.pdf

Hi.

You need to take the parking charge number off your upload please, to keep this anonymous.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

thread tidied

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

I’ve had, what looks like, a standard reply from Lidl that tells me I have to go through Athena.  Unfortunate reply. 

So time to stop being nice with them.  Tell them that they have employed Athena to infest their car parks and it is up to them to sort it out.  You'd like to write nice things about them on social media, and not have to highlight the appalling way they treat elderly & vulnerable customers.  If you are sued by Athena, you will add Lidl as a third party to the claim.  Your family would like to stay as customers, not be driven away. 

Instead all this can be avoided if they simply call off these parasites.

The last person who came here in your position was also initially fobbed off, he/she then went in all guns blazing, and Lidl backed down. 

Thanks FTMDave will get on to them. Appreciate the info. 

I am surprised at their reaction.

I went to customer.service@lidl.co.uk for a friend of mine and they cancelled it straight away.

If you didn;t write to them before, try them now, explain ing that the reason for the overstay was because of the number of people in the store panic buying causing major delays.

It might be worthwhile checking that Athena have planning permission for their signs and cameras. Like most of these rogue parking companies they don't bother since the Councils take too long to grant permission, costing the crooks money.

The fact that they therefore are unable to form a contract with motorists because of the lack od PP doesn't seem to bother them. But it does concern Lidl, so check the Council portal and see if they have the correct permissions and if they haven't, avise Lidl that Athena are once again acting illegally.

I’ve sent another email to Lidl with all above suggestions. Thank you. I havnt found out about the notices/camera permit yet. But am going thru. Harrow council pages   Cheers. 

now bear in mind these are extrordinary times so queueing around the car park for an hour is not unusual so you need to start telling lidl via their facebuerk page and instagram accounts etc what you think of their response to a reasonable request to help someone who was helping poor old people locked up by the govt etc and how you think this might make a good story for the newspapers like the wetherspoons one.

Tell them that you arent going to enter into discussions with a bunch of self interested dishonest brokers but you dont mind starting a civil suit against Lidl under the Equalities Act.

basically lay it on with a trowel if they wont play nicely and falme them on social media

• Like 1

Another bog standard reply from Lidl this morning. 
Unfortunately, we are unable to make an appeal on your behalf. This is because all appeals need to be placed in writing directly to Athena ANPR by the appellant. Doing so allows you to retain your right to formally appeal any decisions made by Athena ANPR.

The most efficient way to appeal your parking charge is to do so with the Car Park Management company direct. Details of how to do this will be on the parking charge notice you have received. 

Try phoning head office. Tell them you are not asking them to represent you at an appela but asking them tio tell their servants to do what they are supposed to do as it is LIDL who have set the terms for their presence and can overrule a computer controlled camera. Let them know that you will be going after them for money for breach of the GDPR if their servants dont have the requisite planning permissions for their cameras and signs

Sorry to hear this.  Recently Lidl head office have been quite cooperative and TBH I'd expected the same in your case.

I didn’t give up tho. I wrote again. After a bit of a hunt I found the CEO’s email. Explained again the genuine mistake that I made and this time they listened. The fact someone actually ‘listened’ Was as satisfying as having Lidl agree to cancel the PCN. 

Thank you all very much for dipping into this conversation. It gave me the ooomph to write to Lidl and not have to engage with Athena at all. 

So you won then?  Lidl have cancelled?

Keep some record of Lidl cancelling, as the PPCs have been known to "forget" such things.  If it was by phone write them a short mail of confirmation, if it was by e-mail keep it.

If I was in your position I'd still ask your mum to write a short letter to Athena naming you as the driver and giving your lockdown address in Spain, just to waste their time as they wouldn't have a clue what to do - but that's because I'm the bloody-minded sort 🤣