I gave £2000 loan to my nieces husband 2-3 years ago and he not paying me back

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1452 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'll wait until next the 5th see if they make payment by that time or not, if no payment is received by the 5th I will send letter FTMDave and Manxman in exile have done.

Dear _____,

I refer to the loan of £2000 which I made to you on/in _____ (the exact date if you can remember it, if not the month).

I also refer to my lext message(s) which I sent to you and your wife on _____ to which I have had a reply that repayments of £100 would per month would commence starting the 5 May 2020. No payment has been received as promised.

I would much prefer to resolve this matter amicably rather than involve the county court with its inevitable costs, interest and issuing of a County Court Judgement, and am prepared to accept twenty consecutive payments of £100.  I ask you to sign and return the enclosed agreement within 14 days using the supplied stamped addressed envelope and to commence payments by _____.

I am retaining a certificate of posting from the post office as proof I have sent you this letter

Yours sincerely,

______ (his address)

I, _____, agree to repay the sum of £2000 which I owe _____ in 20 consecutive monthly instalments, beginning on _____, with payment made by _____ (how you want to be paid).

_____ (signature)     _____ (date)

I've amended just in case they don't make the promised payment on the 5th, i'll wait until the 5th then send letter, thanks guys

Please tell us exactly what you said in the text msg but hide any identifiers, names, etc.

Also, confirm what their reply said.

Then we can suggest your best strategy.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

The gist of the text message is'xyz borrowed £2000 2 years ago, needs to pay back in full or installments'

Reply received 'Is t o.k to make payments from the 5th for £100 a month?'

Edited by Purpleflowers 2
Layout tidied

That's excellent news.  Hopefully they will keep to the agreement and pay you back without the need for court.

But if they don't keep to the agreement at least you have some proof of the loan.  DON'T delete those messages!!!  In fact take screenshots and save them in various ways.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Sofiaa,

If you don't get the payment on 5th May, come back and let us know.

The letter that FTMDave drafted for you earlier will need to be amended to take account of what's happened since in text msgs.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I disagree. The text doesn’t mean it suddenly becomes enforceable, as there is no new contract (as the text isn’t a deed and there is no new consideration creating a new contract).

The text is useful none the less, as it makes any enforcement action later more likely to succeed (rather than suddenly creating an enforcement opportunity), as

a) it is harder for the debtor to deny the original loan, and

b) the ‘clock’ on any statute bar is reset by the acknowledgement of the loan (and also by any payment). 

Yes as above, the main argument which debtors use is that theyte the debt becomes statute barred under section 6 of the  wee under the opinion it was a gift.  The family connection goes some way to indicate this, on balance of probabilities, however the notification from this goes towards disproving this.

Also on loans, the date the loan becomes barred from court proceedings  is 6 years, commencing  after the date you first sent the demand for repayment,  Something to  be aware of, as you may be 3 years into that already.

Can I ask how old the couple are, also since this your siblings daughter, how does he / she feel about all this?

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hi sorry my key board is having a fit .

I dont seem able to edit.

The first paragraph should read:

Yes as above, the main argument which debtors use, is that the were under the opinion it was a gift.  The family connection goes some way to indicate this, on balance of probabilities., However the text from the debtor  goes towards disproving this.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS