You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• @dx100ukIt is.   @BankFodder What was strange was after all these emails to and fro where they kept referring to their terms and conditions but simply would not elaborate on what they meant or the 'suspicious activity', I then sent one with the subject line of 'I AM GOING TO JEFF BEZOS" and stated in the email if they don't resolve this then I will go to him, I then had an email saying they had refunded the £12 drinks bottle.....
    • The outpouring of support for protesters from corporate America is a marked shift. View the full article
    • Nationwide is facing mounting criticism from savers.This is a result of the cuts it has applied to savings rates in the wake of the Bank of England's decision to cut the Base Rate to 0.1 per cent. View the full article
    • As a former NHS manager in a mental health trust... I agree 100% with the actions recommended by stu007.  And I would make especially clear in your letter(s) of complaint that you are extremely concerned about the whereabouts of any confidential letter that was intended to be sent to you in the handwritten envelope.  (Indeed, the fact that a handwritten envelope addressed to you was used would suggest to me that they definitely had something to send you.  It also sounds a bit odd to me that the envelope was handwritten).   As well as complaining in writing to them, I'd contact the clinical team by 'phone first thing on Monday, explain what's happened and tell them to ensure that any confidential information about you that has been sent to a third party must be recovered immediately, and you want confirmation of that.  Well that's what I'd do - see if others think it a good idea or not.  If that had happened at my trust, heads would roll.   There's another poster on these boards called "think about it".  They're involved (I think) in GP practice management and may have some comments too about patient confidentiality.   Oh - I think I would include a photocopy of the handwritten envelope in my complaint to the trust and the ICO.   (I've got to ask - can you say what trust it is?  Don't say if you don't want to.)   EDIT:  And well done for contacting the other person to tell them what's happened.  You did the right thing
    • Hey, thank you very much again for your replies!   - We go to the branches and ask for business accounts, but as I give them my personal name they register them as sole trader accounts in their systems, regardless of my company name being on the agreement.  Suspended our services for high volume messaging -- that is not explicitly covered in terms and conditions Send us letters referencing wrong terms and conditions that we did not sign Terminate the contract and come with a random balance number. We argue unsuccessfully, but they don't follow up with the requested deadlock letter. Pass our account to Lowell in 2017 I pick the account back up when I notice it is affecting my credit file in 2020 I work on the case for about three weeks and file a complaint with CISAS I give Lowell my contract and they see it is my company's name on it so they pass it back to Vodafone Vodafone wants to settle my account quoting they should not charge me anything on the first place and they offer £250 as a compensation for distress. I mistakenly accept the offer because of confusing wording and thinking that the third party adjudicator was already involved in the case, although they would basically get involved on the later stage.  I make a complaint as per CISAS and try to reverse the settlement in the system and have third party adjudicator having a proper look into my case and hopefully reward me a much fairer compensation for all the damages.    I have made a SAR request with both Vodafone and Lowell so far, but still waiting for the Vodafone to send it.    I am now waiting for CISAS to respond, but because I am still upset how much damage this has caused me I am considering taking them to small claims court.  For that I am researching what are the acts I would have to reference in that case.   Obviously Consumer Rights Act 2015 and then Data Protection Act 2018 and perhaps some acts regarding entering into contractual agreements -- can you help with that maybe?        My main concern at the moment is to how to express claims well in a legal language, because £250 they offered feels just patronizing given that there has been everything clearly written in black and white, yet I have had to go though this damaging and humiliating experience. 
  • Our picks

jgs01

Returning several items after one develops fault

Hello, 

I was hoping someone here may be able to offer me a little advice (I've done a search and can't find anything related).

I purchased 4 identical outdoor lights which I wired up about 6 months ago - all was well until in the past couple of weeks one has stopped working. On further investigation, it has been letting in water and essentially short circuited itself, irreparable damaging it.

The only issue is that they are no longer stocked (or indeed manufactured, from what I can tell), so for them to match as they originally did I would need to replace all 4.

What are my rights with regard to returning all of them?

Obviously it shouldn't be an issue getting a refund for the broken one, but the others will be well outside of the returns period for the retailer and I can see them refusing to take them back, especially as they are used, not current stock, and without the box (although with receipt). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Presumably you bought them all at the same time. Who was the retailer?

It was B&Q - I think it was 2 lots of 2 actually, but within a day or so of each other, just because one store only had a couple of stock, as did another.

You say that you wired them up about six months ago. When did you buy them? Was it about six months ago? If it was then was it less than six months or over six months? This is very important.

Secondly, it's a bit complicating that you bought them  in two lots. I think certainly there's no doubt that when you bought one set of two lights that you are entitled to have them matching each other. Personally I think you got a very good argument for saying that all four should match – but it does give B&Q a little chink of leverage if they decide that they want to be silly about it.

The next thing of course is what is the expected lifespan of these lights? Have you done any research on this? Are there any makers claims? Are these LED lights or they normal old-fashioned lights? I suppose if there LED lights then you should expect them to last for some considerable time.

What is the value of the lights? Have they no longer make those ones, what is your preferred solution?

Slightly longer ago than I thought - one set purchased 09/07/19 and the second the following day.

They are indeed LED lights, in fact with the LED built in so you can't change the bulb as it turns out, so I would expect them to last even longer.

The makers determined lifespan is 10,000 hours, which I have certainly not had out of them. They were £25 each, so £1000 for the set. There is a clear argument that the failed one falls well within the 6 years and that I could reasonably expect it to last longer than it did - it's the other's I'm not sure about. Thanks very much for your help with this!

Hi JGS,

Yes, as LED lights, they should last 10,000 hours or more normally, maybe up to 20,000+.

If you bought 2 lights one day and 2 more the next and one has failed, you have a good argument to have a replacement for the failed one (not available), or a new set of 4 similar lights

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Once they are open again I shall have to go and see what they say then, thanks both for your help