Jump to content

You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds


You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds



BankFodder BankFodder


BankFodder BankFodder

Sign in to follow this  

Query on Claims

Recommended Posts

I currently have one claim on my car insurance policy for the theft of a catalytic converter from my car. The best insurance quote I have found for my wife's car when I add myself in as an additional driver is £350pa with a £350 total excess.
In March 2019 I was involved in an alleged incident in Austria where the claimant claims I damaged his front bumper. I have resoloutely denied this and after legal advice am disputing this in the courts. Currently the situation is that the Austrian Courts have applied to the UK courts for statements and that is where the position is at the moment. According to my solicitor there is no way this can be described currently as an accident. However my insurance company at the time has entered this incident into The CUE motorists data base an accident resulting in loss of no claims bonus. I have not made any claim on my insurance so I don't see how I can have lost any part of my no claims bonus.
I have at the moment made a formal complaint to the insurance company involved asking them to remove/correct the posting to the CUE data base. They refused this request verbally which is why I made the formal complaint.
When I add this second claim on to the quote for my wife's car insurance the cheapest I can get is £628pa with a £400 excess.
At the moment my options appear to be:- 1-Do nothing and just pay, but it will become much more of am issue when I come to insure my own car. 2-Wait for the claim procedure to go through the insurance comany's internal proces then escalate it to an ombudsman. 3- Take the insurance company to the small claims court for the excess on my wife's premium. 4-Take MIB the administraters of the CUE database to the small claims court for diseminating false information.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You seem to be confusing the idea of a no claims bonus with some to do with having no claims. Bless!

The insurance company is acting defensively and they are upping the premium in advance. Very unfair but that's what they do.

I expect that my colleague @unclebulgaria67 will be along to give you more experienced advice that I can – but I suspect that you will have to suck it up for the moment – make it clear to them in writing what the situation is and that once the matter is sorted out in Austria, you will be coming back to them to have your money refunded and also to have your file cleaned up.

I'm afraid that whichever insurer you go to, they will probably apply the same self-serving defensive unfair rationale.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with Bankfodders comments above.


The Austrian incident has been recorded against your Insurance and will be recorded as a fault claim, as your Insurers believe that they may have to pay out an amount. 


You can of course ask your Insurers (using a GDPR subject access request ) for copies of what they have received related to this incident.  It may be that they have received information about the incident,  which is sufficient to make them believe that they should record a fault claim. 


They may want to record the claim as fault to collect additional premiums, rather than wait for the outcome of a lengthy process.  If eventually it is decided that you have zero liability for the accident, then the Insurers will update the claim to non fault and you can register this with Insurers to obtain a relevant refund/reduction of your Insurance.


So you will need to take out Insurance based on the no claims situation as it is.  Send the GDPR  SAR to the Insurers and separately, send a complaint to the Insurers asking to be kept updated about the progress of the claim and provided with copies of any documents which assists with any current Court/legal processes which are ongoing. 


We could do with some help from you.



 Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...