BankFodder BankFodder

Jeffers82577449

REFUND OF PACKAGE HOLIDAY

I booked a package holiday with an ABTA/ATOL  agent consisting of flights, cruise and hotels all paid in one lump sum.

The cruise company have said I will get a full cash refund for the cruise.

However the travel agent has told me in relation to all the other costs they will only offer a refund credit note.

This despite the original terms and conditions under which I booked clearly stating if it was cancelled [it was due to coroavirus] I would be entitled to a full cash refund.

Can anyone confirm that I can insist on a cash refund?.

I have no use of a refund credit note [that I believe will be ABTA/ATOL  protection until it is capable of converting into cash wish could be a long time in the future

Hello and welcome to CAG.

Could you tell us which travel agent please and link us to the Ts and Cs please?

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

5 hours ago, Jeffers82577449 said:

I have no use of a refund credit note [that I believe will be ABTA/ATOL  protection until it is capable of converting into cash wish could be a long time in the future

https://www.abta.com/news/coronavirus-outbreak

"3.  If you are not able to amend your holiday to another date, your travel provider may offer you a Refund Credit Note instead of an immediate cash refund. This Refund Credit Note can be used to book another holiday at a later date and, in the meantime, it is protected by ABTA/ ATOL if your original booking had that protection, so you would be reimbursed if the travel company failed financially.

Further details on this option are below:

• This protection will last initially until 31 July 2020, at which point, if you have not used the Refund Credit Note to book another holiday, you will be entitled to a cash refund.""

So, if you believe you can get a cash refund before 31st July 2020 (likely or not?), pursue that, but if you don't believe that is likely then accept the Refund Credit Note and use it to get the cash refund then.

• Thanks 1

Thanks my concern is use of the word "initially"That would seem to suggest that those who just want a cash refund might have to wait considerably longer (up to two years have been quoted) which is not really fair to people.

Posted (edited)

I don’t read it that way.

I read it: that at 31st July 2020 you will be entitled to a cash refund.

So, “initially” until 31/7/20.

At which point..... you will be entitled to a cash refund.

Not 2 years. 

Edited by BazzaS

Use of the word "initially"in what is simply ABTA guidelines ,not law ,makes me nervous that the initial period might be further reviewed and extended.

I have also read that there are unconfirmed reports that  Govt will agree to changes to the Package travel regulations which will allow travel agents to issue credit notes allowing agents to use vouchers to use the vouchers to book new trips for up to two years and only then will the vouchers be capable of converting to a cash refund.If I could be certain I will get the cash refund by 31/7 but two years is a very long time to wait.Easy enough for ABTA can amend guidance?

Hence I am wondering if I am within my rights to turn down the offer of vouchers?