Link Financial & unusually low settlement for Ex Barclaycard debt?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1470 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Morning.

Hope you are all well and keeping safe.

I am paying back a debt through a DMP to Link and I was in a situation to get a settlement fee for an amount which is a small 4 figure sum - i received the following by email

Unfortunately we are unable to accept the sum of 0.00 but we would be prepared to accept the sum of �8.98 in settlement of this account. On receipt of cleared funds we will close your account with no further monies owed and update your credit file as partially settled. Payment should be made to Sort Code 40-05-30 Account Number 54192761. Payment should reach our office by 17/04/2020.

If I pay them £8.98 have they no legal recourse to come after me for the rest considering its an offer in writing?

would appreciate some guidance please

Thanks

Pb8111

45k Debt - June 2016

35k Debt - May 2018

24k Debt - April 2020

The battle is slow but I will win the war

Before you start considering paying this off, I think you should give us a lot more details about the debt.

Who's the creditor
date of debt – type of debt – last payment made

And is the debt currently showing on your credit files ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Yes

Was a 1200 quid Barclaycard CC - been paid back through a DMP with Stepchange, amount owed is under a grand and then  i got the email when requested settlement, to me they have put an offer in writing and i obliged? 

45k Debt - June 2016

35k Debt - May 2018

24k Debt - April 2020

Well it wont improve your credit score as it will still show as partially settled and will remain there until it reaches its 6th anniversary.

Also any offer like the above should contain the words " In Full and Final settlement " to make it water tight.We have seen these offers before and the balance sold again and chased by a further DCA.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Wait What PC is the 8.98 Settlement of the original balance?

How much is outstanding now. 

Bankfodder and Andyorch are right... 

Has COVID19 now caused DCAs to literally scrape the bottom of the barrel for these debts?!?!? LOL!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Could be - But who knows. All you have is the above?

Could be a new trick - To get people to pay £x - Claim it was a mistake and then extends the SB Period. I had that before with someone.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Yes all I have is that email - I have paid the requested amount and emailed them saying I have accepted the offer, paid the required amount and now look forward to confirmation in writing the account is now settled and see what they say

45k Debt - June 2016

35k Debt - May 2018

24k Debt - April 2020

Well good on you for doing that - Its your choice to do it :)

If its 1% of the whole amount to settle - It would be bonkers not to :)

Still think you should have checked they had a CCA etc and everything was in order. 

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Haha thank you

My point was more of if they have given me an offer in writing can they claim it was done in error and the debt is still enforceable of does the email now form a contract which has been forfilled? has this ever happened to anyone else?

45k Debt - June 2016

35k Debt - May 2018

24k Debt - April 2020

Well they can do as they please... But in reality if it is a mistake on their part - It would be very messy if it got to either Court or FOS / Ombudsman & FCA..

Lets see what happens... If they do it then thats cool but you need to check that it is F+F and the balance wont be sold.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Well ive now took them of the DMP so they wont be getting another penny - see what happens when the letter start 😀😀😀😀😀

45k Debt - June 2016

35k Debt - May 2018

24k Debt - April 2020

• dx100uk changed the title to Link Financial & unusually low settlement for Ex Barclaycard debt?

Thread title updated

I hope you've sent everyone else you are paying thru your DMP a CCA request?

I notice you've several PDL threads in the past?

are you paying those too?

might be an idea to investigate irresponsible lending complaints too if you are, could be worth £1000's..

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

HI Dx - remember you well from all the help over the years and it was always much appreciated

Got on top of the PDL issue and went after them all for irresponsible lending - got about 5k in total back from them all and it would have been more had they all not shirked into Administration - 

Down to my last 24k of debt from the original 45k, its been a long road but to be honest I've made sure ive smiled throughout it all.

All that's left are 2 loans (alpha credit solutions, CABOT - was ZOPA)  and 3 credit cards (CABOT, WESCOT, LINK) - all paid through SC - 2 capital ones and 1 barclaycards, did CCA and they all returned signed copies of the original agreements.

hope your keeping safe

45k Debt - June 2016

35k Debt - May 2018

24k Debt - April 2020