BankFodder BankFodder

Revala69

My landlord is based overseas and has told me he doesn’t have the same rights as UK residents to get a mortgage holiday

Sorry for the long winded title !!

I am a private tenant in the Uk and have never missed a payment, I recently lost my job due to the Coronavirus and I asked my landlord if he could get a 3 month payment holiday to help us out. He has come back and told me that as they are non uk residents they don’t get the same rights. 

I just want to know if this is true please ? Surely if his mortgage is with a UK bank or building society he should be able to get a payment holiday regardless of where they live ?

any help or advise would be much appreciated. 

Thank you  

There's information on google if you read around. Here are a couple of links.

http://nla.landlords.org.uk/coronavirus-information-for-landlords/?_ga=2.5283955.1585688731.1584954655-766396227.1584631215

https://www.buyassociation.co.uk/2020/03/18/can-you-get-mortgage-holiday-because-coronavirus/

Are you claiming everything you can to help you through this? CAG has a benefits section if you need it.

HB

• Thanks 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

So claim Universal Credit, which can include private housing rent up the Local Housing Allowance limit.

Foreign landlords may have mortgage loans through offshore Banking arrangements, so not the same as UK residential mortgage.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you I have already started that process the universal credit housing costs won’t even cover half the rent and as you know this process takes a long time.

I am also pretty sure my landlords have a UK mortgage as they used to live in the house we now rent from them if this is the case would they be entitled to the same rights even though they are based over seas now?

Have you looked at the links I posted? One of them mentons BTL landlords.

HB

Hi honeybee no is haven’t please could you point me in the right direction, thank you.

Thank you HB your first post just came through the links are great thank you.  My problem is my landlord is using the excuse that because they are based overseas these benefits don’t apply to them I just want to go back to them with a polite but factual response. 

Well,  would be readng up on what the advice to landlords is and try to use that in your reasoning.

HB

All is excellent advice above, but also consider if you can't afford the rent.. well then you can't afford the rent. You can't magic the money up from nowhere, if you don't have it. Unless you can find alternative employment, such as in a supermarket or as a delivery driver?

Your landlord isn't in a position to enforce anything right now, seeing as eviction proceedings are currently suspended for 3 months and even if they weren't he would have zero chance of finding another tenant to replace you anyway. In a way you have more power than you think.

If I was in your situation I would be taking 3 courses of action

1. Maximising your benefits such as UC, Council Tax Reduction / deferral.  Attempting to defer all of my outgoings such as Power Bills etc

2. Looking for alternative employment in a sector that is still hiring.

3. Making sure to keep communicating with your Landlord to keep him on side.

I would write to him explaining what has happened, and also that you are trying numbers 1 and 2 above in order to get back on track with the rent as soon as possible. I would even offer to be as transparent as possible, offering an income and expenditure sheet? I don't know if anyone else on the site team would agree with that, but I think it might be a good idea in these circumstances.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you London good advise