Universal Credit Application Help - Disregarded Property

clairey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1480 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I have a question about applying for Universal Credit.

This is the first time I've ever applied for benefits and have a bit of an unusual living arrangement.

I current rent the home I live in, but I also own a house (with equity) in my home town that my 71 year old mother lives in.

She is over state pension credit age, which I've read in many places qualifies the property as "disregarded" or "ignored".

I was just looking for some advice on the UC application form - there's nowhere that asks for details on this.

You either state you have under or over £16k savings with no further questions.

Do they get in touch to ask about this or do you not include it on the application because it's disregarded?

I don't want to complete the application incorrectly, I know they're bogged down at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any insights on the application process.

Claire

im sure there is a specific question that says do you own any other property other than where you live now...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

There is no automatic disregard. You have to include the equity capital value in your disclosure, as you have a second property you do not live in.

Once you have disclosed this, when they try to verify your capital, you should be sent a form, where you will be asked for full details of the second property.  The information will then be referred to a Decision Maker and they will decide whether and for how long to disregard the equity value.

From what I understand the potential disregard is based on the facts of the case and is not automatic. Otherwise someone with capital might buy a property for an elderly relative to live just to protect their savings, while claiming Housing benefits to live somewhere else.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

See the document in the following link. Parts 2048 and 2049

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/864939/admh2.pdf

By declaring the capital asset correctly, you are then enabling the disregard action to take place.n

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread