BankFodder BankFodder

hightail

Probate - are applications going ahead?

Does anyone know if probate applications are still being dealt with at the moment?  I've had email confirmation from HMRC that online submissions are not possible, nor will they be for the forseeable future. Reverted to filling out the paper forms only to find the phone lines are closed so can't make the necessary card payment.  I could go into the bank to get a cheque drawn but no point in doing that if the service is suspended indefinitely. 

I suppose you've checked the probate office website, hightail?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Have I missed something on the .gov sites?  I can't see anywhere it says they've suspended services, only gone down the rabbit hole of HMRC saying I should submit a paper application and then phoning the probate office to pay and getting the recorded message that phone lines are closed.  I can send the application in with a cheque but if the service is suspended I'm risking the loss of important documents.

Is the general helpline closed, hightail, as opposed to your regional one?

HB

5 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

Is the general helpline closed, hightail, as opposed to your regional one?

Fair point - could try that on Monday.  It wouldn't be the end of the world for it to sit for a few months except there are bequeaths to two local charities, one of which could well survive if we can pay out without delay and not if we don't.

I can see that would be upsetting about the charity, I would feel the same.

Please let us know how it goes on Monday.

HB

Back in September 2019, we tried to call the Probate Registry to pay their fee by phone several times a day, over many days.

Eventually we gave up trying to pay by phone and sent a cheque with the Probate application.

It then took over 2 months for them to come back about something causing a delay, but that's a different matter.

Just get on with the Probate application and send a cheque. Things are going to take longer in the present Covid19 circumstances but that's just the way it is.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Yeah, it seems the obvious option but annoying.  I'll have to go into the bank to get them to issue a cheque as I don't have cheque books any more.  In itself not as easy as it was only a couple of weeks ago.

I thought I'd update this as I can't be the only person dealing with probate at the moment.

Getting the bank to issue a cheque was proving problematic so I had to keep trying by phone.  Around 9th April I eventually got through to the general number and was told to just keep trying all the regional numbers in the hope that someone answered so I started at the top and got nothing until ringing Liverpool - they answered really quickly.  I paid, got the reference and an email confirmation.

On 2nd April I had emailed to ask what I should do and got no reply - hence my asking on here on 3rd.  Yesterday I got a reply to that email asking me to ring the Brighton office to make payment, a mere twenty two days after asking.  In the meantime I have paid, sent in the application and had confirmation of receipt.

All I can say is if you are in the same position just keep plugging away down the list of regional office numbers.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update.

I didn't know you could "ring around" and I hope this helps others who find it impossible to get through to "the right office".

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, slick132 said:

I didn't know you could "ring around" and I hope this helps others who find it impossible to get through to "the right office

The very helpful guy I spoke to on the general number seemed surprised I didn’t know.  I didn’t get the impression it’s confined to the current situation with Coronavirus either so worthwhile people knowing.

Edited by hightail