BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Just to give another view of the NHS and GPs - two GPs probably saved my life last year.   I'd been extremely ill, no appetite, significant weight loss, not taking enough fluids.  Wife took me to A&E.  Terrible experience.  After four hours told my wife to take me home.  She said "told you this was a mistake.  I'll get you an emergency GP appointment tomorrow".  Saw a GP Registrar (essentially a trainee GP) following afternoon.  She was very concerned and asked a colleague for a second opinion.  Second GP was horrified as soon as she saw me, and said "You ought to be in hospital".  She told the trainee to arrange to have me admitted to hospital and just over two hours later (after my wife had driven me there) I was in bed on a medical assessment ward.  Stayed in hospital for a week and was only discharged because they needed the bed.   I was going to complain about my A&E experience (I think the triage nurse must have screwed up my triage assessment) but a week after I was discharged, I had to take my wife to A&E as her optician thought she might have a detached retina.  It was about 5:30pm on a Saturday and the place was full of injured footballers and rugby players.  It was much busier than it had been on the Monday afternoon I'd been there, but my wife saw a doctor in 20 mins and we were out in 40 mins.  I decided that sometimes you're just unlucky...
    • Many households heated by oil are stocking up on cheap fuel during lockdown. View the full article
    • I keep an eye on the NHS board because I'm a former NHS manager.  I saw this thread started years ago and thought I'd have look.   I'm sure it's purely coincidental, but when I got to #61, it reminded me of a different poster on a different thread from last year.  They aren't identical, but the way things are expressed are remarkably similar.  (eg 20 min wait - ask receptionist - Drs are very busy - wait another 20 min - ask again - receptionist checks computer - says Dr has refused to see you because of complaint 2 years ago - transferred to another GP who expresses "shock" at other Dr's behaviour - vague and confusing references to a "justified" complaint.   Maybe it's just me, but they seem remarkably similar, although the other thread is missing a 2014, 2016, 2017 backstory.     layla_83   As others have already said, there seems little point in complaining now about issues that stem from things that happened in 2014 (and 2016?).  If you wanted to complain to "put the system right", you should have done that six years ago.  Even if the original GP is still about, they won't remember any of it, so there will be absolutely no opportunity for them to learn any lessons from it.  And the fact that the original GP did not want to see you (or rather your mother) because you (she) had made a complaint against them two years ago most certainly does not mean that the GP remembers anything from 2014, it just means that you (or your mother) are flagged up on their system as a "complainer".  As I asked a year ago, why would anyone be unhappy because a GP they had previously complained about refused to see them?  You should be relieved!!!  You say the GP should not take the complaint personally, but if I were a GP I would not want to treat anyone who has made a complaint against me.  (And if you are connected to that other thread, you should have complained to your local CCG or the GMC by now).   You were going to send a letter of complaint to the practice in 2017, so why only now complain about their response?  Did it take them nearly three years to reply?
    • Hi JeelyM and welcome to CAG   1. Do you have the details of the person you bought the bike from.   2. Did you go to their address when you bought it.   3. Did you pay cash for it or what other means.   4. Did you pay the full market for buying the bike.   5. What did you pay.   6. Give us make and model of the bike please.
  • Our picks

• View this quiz Employment status during COVID-19
      What do you do if you’ve been told not to come to work due to the current crisis.  Watch the video here or on the Youth Consumer Service Instagram page.

Did you learn anything? Do the quiz

Submitter BankFodder Type One Right Answer Time 5 minutes Total Questions 8 Category The Youth Consumer Service Submitted 15/05/20  
      • 0 replies
    • One Parking Solutions - Damning judgement. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421148-one-parking-solutions-damning-judgement/
        • Thanks
      • 66 replies
    • View this quiz Coping with extreme hardship
      Life can be tough when you're entering the world of work and in the present virus crisis, things are even more difficult.

Watch the video below or go to the Youth Consumer Service Instagram page . Afterwards, you can see if you've understood the points which are being made by taking the quiz.

Submitter BankFodder Type One Right Answer Time 5 minutes Total Questions 8 Category The Youth Consumer Service Submitted 15/05/20  
      • 1 reply
    • View this quiz: Pre-pay meters
      An explanation of how some gas and electric companies offer emergency quarantine support.

Watch the video here – or go to the Youth Consumer Service Instagram page and watch it there. Then come back here and do the quiz

Submitter BankFodder Type One Right Answer Time 5 minutes Total Questions 6 Category The Youth Consumer Service Submitted 15/05/20  
      • 1 reply
pottyprincess

Exploding Panoramic sunroof in A220 Mercedes

Hi All

I am looking for advice on an horrendous experience that has just happened to me whilst driving the car that I had only just bought a few weeks ago.

I was driving and there were no other cars and nothing overhead when, bang, the loudest noise, like a gunshot going off, the pano roof had just exploded for no reason, luckily the screen was closed otherwise I would have been showered in glass.

So the car got took to the local Mercedes retailer, who told me that it was not covered under the warranty, the car is only just 12 months old and 4,000 miles, I then had to contact the head office, who has come back with the same answer, not under warranty, no defects, so must have happened through outside influences.

I have researched this and it happens quite often and to other manufacturer's too, I really do not see why I should have to claim under my car insurance when Mercedes know this is a problem, there was a lawsuit in California and the plaintiff won his argument.

So the question is what are my consumer rights? should I take on Mercedes and take them to court, or the easy option, claim on my insurance.

Is there a body that I should be reporting this incident to please?  

Don't worry about the warranty. You will be covered under the Consumer Rights Act which requires that goods be of satisfactory quality and remain that way for a reasonable period of time.

However, there may be a dispute as to whether the problem was caused by a defect in the glass or some outside force such as some object hitting it.

You say that you have found other instances of the same thing happening. I suggest that you start gathering screenshots of those – and it would even be helpful if you could contact the people involved.

Also, if you find people talking about this on the Internet then post the links here so we can have a look.

If you can get sufficient evidence that this is something that is happening to people's vehicles – the same vehicle as yours not other manufacturers, then you have a good chance that you can persuade a judge that there was a defect.

What is the cost of replacing the glass roof?

It's probably covered under 'Glass' in your car insurance policy. Probably £75 excess to pay and it probably won't affect your NCB.

It's just like a windscreen.

Trying to argue a defect will be nigh on impossible, just get it replaced, by National Windscreens if possible, not Autoglass.

No point in going out to look for a fight, especially in these difficult times.

H

42 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

Posted (edited)

Be wary of the easy option of claiming on your insurance.  It isn't necessarily "just like a windscreen" and it may not be covered under "glass" on your insurance - if it's a panoramic roof it's quite possible that it's excluded from the normal "no fault" glass replacement part of your policy - some insurers specifically exclude panoramic sun roofs from that part of their cover. [EDIT: what I mean by this is most policies will repair or replace your windscreen or windows without you paying the excess].  Check your policy.

If you can't get it done for free (like a windscreen) under your insurance, you'd have to weigh up the cost of replacing it yourself and compare that to the amount of excess you'd end up paying.  Replacing panoramics can be expensive so it might be worth it.

But my first avenue would be to take it up again with the Mercedes dealer you bought it new from, and argue it out with them.  My understanding is that panoramic roofs do fail.  They are meant to be part of the structural integrity of the car and have to withstand a lot of flexing.  If there's a fault it may manifest itself as a hairline crack which gets bigger over time.  Have you noticed anything like a crack in the glass?  I suspect Mercedes will argue that the fact the roof "shattered" spontaneously is more likely to indicate stone/chip damage than it is to indicate an inherent fault.  I suppose it's too late to ask an independent assessor to look at it.

I'd want the dealer to sort it out for me, but if they don't want to play along I'm not sure how, after 12 months, you'd establish the roof was faulty.  (Although it's one of the reasons I would be uncomfortable having a car with a glass roof.

The fact someone won a case in California means nothing.  You can win anything in California.

Edited by Manxman in exile

Hi all

Thank you all for your replies.

I have checked my insurance and under the glass section it does not cover panoramic roofs.

It does come under the damage to car section though, so I think the sensible option at the end of the day, and if Mercedes dig their heels in and wont help me, then that is the Avenue I have to go down.

I know how difficult it would be to prove that it is a fault, by design or whatever else, I have already took screenshots of it happening to other people, some in the UK, but mainly in America.

I agree that you have to pick your arguments in these difficult times.

Thanks again for all your help.

Mercedes are deliberately ignoring the materials science and physics behind this because it exposes them to a considerable expense.

they can just fail due to thermal shock, the glass is already strained but the exact catalyst will never be known because no-one takes photographs of their car glass under polarised light just to check for problems caused in the furnace they were heat treated in.

The same applies to conservatory doors and other large sheets of toughend glass and you tend to get a spate of them going in a small time frame because a whole batch is wonky.

Rolls Royce had a problem with their engines a few years ago, they just disintegrated after a few hundred miles. It was a small batch of tappets made by their German owners that werent heat treated properly but nearly cost them their reputation. Now they were thinking of suing Mobil for changing their oil formulation coincidentally at the same time as they blamed them but i did the analysis on the failed parts and the oil residue and the probelm became obvious once microscopic analysis was  instigated. Mobil could afford to chuck some decent money at this but you would need a lot of goodwill to even start as you will ahve to get pictures of a large number of the roofs and thenget the data on the manfactureing processes and no-one is going to let you do that.

Is it a manufacturing defect? almost certainly but your evidence is in a million pieces