Living arrangements causing problems

jacko251
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1484 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Husband lost his job on the 19th of this month and I work part time in a pub (currently waiting for this 80% wage to kick in) so will get around £100 per week for my wages.

We have one child and have now applied for universal credit.

We could not apply for housing costs/benefit whatever it is called because we live with my mother in her house. She is 72 and on pension.

So....as we were paying my mum £500 per month to live in the house and towards the household bills, we will no longer be able to do this and it will put a massive strain on her finances.

We can not claim any help towards this because it is not an official tenancy or anything so what my question is...

If they say that we can expect to live rent free and take advantage of my mum, can she then claim as we are three dependants?

Or possibly at the very least, get some kind of reduction in council tax or something as we will be classed as a family on low income and on benefits, all residing at her house and paying nothing.

It is quite confusing and something we are not familiar with as we have always worked and not been in this situation before.

Thank you for any advice.

What type of Housing ?

Does the mother own her own house paying a mortgage ?

Or is it a private rented house with the mother the only tenant ?

Or is it a social rented sector property rented from council or housing association with mother only tenant ?

If the housing is in the mothers name, she claims the housing through Council Housing benefit.  

If you are living in the house , yes the Council should look at the Household situation.  If the Council tax is just in mothers name, you would need to add your details.  

And your Husband and yourself claim Universal Credit (UC), but cannot claim for Housing, as you don't have any Housing liability in your name.  As already advised, use a Benefits calculator to work out how much UC you would be entitled to.

]

https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you.

No it is my mum's house and she does no longer pay mortgage. She owns it but if and when anything happens to her (God forbid) it must be sold as she had equity release a few years back and so we will become homeless.

The council tax is in her name and she pays full council tax.

Yes I have had a look at the benefits calculator but our situation isn't really the norm so you can't quite explain it properly on there. Maybe I should ask CAB for advice. Thanks again.

You are worrying about something now, which could perhaps wait until this nightmare of Coronaviris is over.

At the moment Government and the advice services are struggling to cope with the number of enquiries, at a time when half of their staff are self isolating.

Your situation may be much more normal than you think. You are living in a relatives house and when they die you will have to leave within a few months to find alternative housing.

Later in the year when things are hopefully back to normal, it might be advisable, to look at other housing options, so your husband, child and yourself move to your own rented property with a tenancy agreement. Then with the housing in yor name, you can include the housing on a Universal Credit Claim. The Council may be able to help with housing options in your area. 

Use the benefits calculator to see whether you currently would be helped by claiming any benefits, even without housing at the moment, as you can't currently claim for that.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread