BankFodder BankFodder

tobyjugg2

New purple replacement VM SIM may not work in phones

Posted (edited)

The new Virgin Mobile sim being sent out as a replacement for existing working VM sims and with new accounts may not work in your phone. These sims are apparently being sent with a time period of 30 days to insert and activate before the old sim is deactivated.

The problem seems to be because the old sims were recognised as EE sims (like ASDA, Plusnet etc SIMS) and worked in EE locked phones. The new sims are NOT.

Perhaps in anticipation of next years VM move from EE to Vodaphone as their supplier.

You may be entirely unaware that your phone is locked with it having worked with a VM sim for years. VM are aware with it apparently flagged on their systems.

VM's responses would appear to be:

1. Sign up for a more expensive VM package including a phone which will work with the sim VM sent you - you will receive this package - sometime maybe.

2. Buy or somehow acquire an unlocked phone in a locked down nation with shops shut.

3. Get your own phone unlocked presumably via the original suppier if you know who it is or from some online service .. with resultant issue still your problem.

4. or worst of all - VM Manually activating the new sim to 'fix your issue' which will quickly (within a couple of hours) and permanently deactivate the old working sim leaving you with no service.

VM do know the phone is locked to EE - it is flagged on the VM systems

VM staff may also claim you will receive callbacks to address this resulting in your waiting out your cancellation period in the forlorn hope of receiving any callback from them

- which would seem highly unlikely to actually occur at all let alone resolve the issue. 

Edited by tobyjugg2

I express my honestly held opinions - they are nothing more or less than that.

... Its just doing some due diligence that makes them seem unusual ...

Please don't assume what you see here is what I wrote - At least some of my posts HAVE been edited without my knowledge or agreement - or anything showing people they have been amended