BankFodder BankFodder

Hi All

As im new to this site and here for as much advise as possible to help me and a few fellow work colleges regarding a situation with our employer given the current circumstances with the COVID-19 (coronavirus).

Basically since i started working for said company i have never been given my contract or employer handbook to view as when i need to, its always stored inside our boss's office and past staff have been refused to view it when they have wanted to, what i want to know is, is it a legal requirement for a employer to give there employees a copy of there contract/ handbook or is there a clause that can allow him not to?

Also i have currently been in self isolation due to cornavirus and have spoken to our company via email with no reply from them but have heard from colleagues that the work has slowed down, and in the recent email i have sent i spoke about potentially being put on 'furlough pay' if work stops completely. Can he refuse to put certain staff on it and still keep the business open even though there is no work? As well as not providing sufficient hygiene sources given the current climate, would that put him in breach of contract (if could view mine to start off with) ?

At the minute we are stuck in limbo given we are still off in self isolation for another week and he doesn't really care about his staff, what would be the best course to take regarding the matters above??

HELP!

Hello and welcome to CAG.

Here's a link to ACAS that should answer your contract questions. If you look around their site, you should find information about some of your other questions.

https://www.acas.org.uk/employment-contracts

I expect people will be along later with more answers.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posted (edited)

Hi,

it’s entirely up to the boss if they use furlough or not; but there’s no harm volunteering, and if you are ok with 80% and no top up, that’s good to say also. They can choose who stays and who is furloughed, yes.

Anonymous phone call to HSE is usually how I’d handle a safety risk where the employer is a bit tricky; risk assessment if they’re decent. But I imagine HSE are a bit busy right now.

Edited by Emmzzi

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Why don't a few of you join a relevant Trade Union and ask them for help about present/future conduct of this employer ?  It has to be more than one person that joins a Union, before the employers have to recognise the Unions role in representing workers at your place of work.

Normally if you join a Union, they won't offer legal help in regard to issues before you joined them or for a short after you joined them, but they might be able to offer some assistance.

Given what you say about their conduct, I would strongly recommend contacting a Union for details of how to organise for yourself and colleagues to become members.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread