BankFodder BankFodder

chaoticj

Both employed and self-employed - CJRS furloughed

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I am both employed and self-employed and have done this for years all above board, tax returns submitted etc.

Due to COVID-19 my employer intends to furlough me on the CJRS and advises during that time I am not allowed to do any work for them.

Furthermore, the agreement I have signed says I am not allowed to do work for any other organisation or myself during furlough and if I do I have to tell them and may be liable to repay anything paid to me under CJRS if they become liable to repay it to the government.

Does this mean I have to cease my self-employment during furlough? Or is this simply uncharted territory right now? The employer wants to cover all bases regarding any potential occurrences? Also, for avoidance of doubt, I carry my self-employment out from home so it isn't affected so much by lockdown (it would be safe to do it).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by chaoticj

Hi.

I expect someone here knows the answer, but this is new to all of us and we're finding our way. I'm sure will be along soon, please bear with us. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi,

Looks like I won't be allowed to carry out any self-employment - at least anything that generates revenue. Presumably if one produced goods, they could be prepared for sale but not actually sold? Unless I'm misinterpreting.

The self-employed scheme says it can only be claimed upon if you are primarily self-employed.

Regards,

chaoticj

you have hit the nail on the head.