Xercise4Less and Harlands Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello! I've seen bits about this elsewhere on the forum (some of which quite recently) and was wondering if I could have some help sorting this out.

I'm a university student who bought an Xercise4Less membership in my university town. However the recent outbreak of COVID-19 has meant that I have quickly needed to go home which, is not only on the other side of the country, but is also more than 15 miles from a nearby gym, which I believe is grounds for terminating a 12-month contract.

However, I foolishly cancelled my direct debit beforehand, and now am stuck with the now infamous email which I believe has plagued a lot of this forum:

Your bank have advised us that your March instalment has been returned unpaid, "instruction cancelled". We have therefore added a £ 25.00 administration charge which means you need to pay £ 39.00 to clear your arrears. To bring your account up-to-date, please call the HARLANDS HELPLINE on 01444 449033. We can collect your arrears by debit/credit card and reinstate your bank details. If you wish to pay by another method, you must still phone to discuss the situation. You must call us by 6 APR 20 to avoid further charges. Our telephone lines are open 8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday and 9am to 12pm on Saturday. We look forward to receiving your call.

However the problem is that I cannot, in any way, shape or form sign into my Xercise4Less account to even begin the cancellation process. The email related to the account (and it is related as I have received other junk from them in the past year) fails to sign into both their online and app - changing password fails to recognise a certain email. I contacted a friend (who signed up at the same time as me) about this, and he said they had originally inputted his email in wrong, and therefore neither of us have access to a copy of our contract with the gym.

I understand this is quite common, but I have no clue how to go about disputing this. I have offered to pay cancellation fees, although have not yet given any details. I cannot correspond with Harlands over the phone as all their offices are shut down. I'm worried about failing to receive a response and having them pile this up throughout the next month until I'm owing even more. Any advice to get this sorted would be much appreciated. 

Many thanks.

You should normally have given a months notice – and you should remember to check things before you go around cancelling direct debits without notice to people or without checking terms and conditions.

Tell them that you've cancelled. Pay them the one month – and don't pay them anything else and don't worry. Get ready for the threats and harassment – but don't worry. My site team colleague @slick132 will probably be along later on to confirm – or else to give you better advice

Hi Bubbles and welcome to CAG

Type and send this to Harlands Haywards Heath address and get a free Certificate of Posting from the PO when you send it. Give them your current address at the top of the letter.

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to my Xercise4Less membership at [town/city] which I had to cancel due to relocating away from Uni in the current health crisis.

I now realise I should have paid 1 final month's gym fee after giving notice to cancel and offer to pay this gym fee now. I will not pay the unlawful admin fee which you say is also due.

Please confirm in writing that you will accept the £14 gym fee to settle this matter and supply your payment details and a payments reference number.

If you demand any higher amount, or fail to accept my offer within 14 days, the offer will be withdrawn.

Yours faithfully,

Don't worry about this at all. Harlands/CRS may WANT more money but that doesn't mean you OWE it.

Keep us posted ..........

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone. I hope you are all doing well -- it has been a few months since I've posted here but, of course, our favourite friends are back at it again.

It seems they have completely ignored the original letter I sent them -- as well as the fact I have changed addresses, and I have now changed again for the new academic year. Have just received an email with an attached document saying:

"Your bank have recently advised us that your Direct Debit instruction has been cancelled.

The terms of your Membership Agreement mean that you have to repay all your instalments by Direct Debit. Therefore you must call the HARLANDS HELPLINE immediately to reinstate your Direct Debit over the telephone.

If you do not call us by 11 September 2020, you will be charged an administration fee."

What should I do now? I have kept all original documentation in case they tried this again -- having posted the letter on 26th March. In such letter I promised to pay the £14 within the two weeks but they did not respond whatsoever -- where do I go from here?

Many thanks, apologies for the long wait.

Hi BV,

You made a reasonable offer which they chose to ignore.

Ignore this email and make no reply at all.

Keep us posted

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)