BankFodder BankFodder

Dear friends,

I hired a car on the 93/2020 to work as a mini cab driver.

Every week i must pay £203. They gave us 50% discount because of the virus.

now that London is more or less in a lock down, with Uber reducing its service and other ride sharing apps also very quite, dead, the income is zero.

therefore i can not make my weekly payment at 50% discount.

i called them 11 times, emailed 4 departments no response.

this morning i spoke to the lady in accounts, whos very rude and very aggressive, maybe shes had practice of the last week or so

has insisted i must pay or she will send my account to debt collections.

When i asked her, when will she do this, she said soon as u dont make a payment.

NOW on the 9th i paid £700 deposit and then further paid £203 on the 19th.

ALL payments are up to date.

What is my solution?

( i am uploading my T&C, if you look carefully page 4 under Termination and then page 5, i think it is incomplete) will this help me?

Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

so what debt collectors are totally powerless.

why do you need the car now?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, the whole DCA industry would collapse overnight.

Hand the car back. stuff all legal action going to be happening for a while anyway!

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I will lose my £700 deposit.

that includes advanced congestion charge, weeks rent and reinsurance weaver for "access".

I cant argue well and shes very aggressive, each time i say something she shuts me off.

go work for Tesco, do other driving job, go to asda etc.

45 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

so what debt collectors are totally powerless.

why do you need the car now?

Look you know more then me, i have never been that deep in it to know anything. i watched few programs on bbc about collectors, they evict single mothers, close shops, take peoples cars etc.

i wish i could agree they are powerless. right now the courts are closing etc so i am sure if i did not pay it might take time.

also i am self employed with zero income i am sure they wont break my door down and take my items.

i dont want to go there, if i can get a resolve that is the best.

there "site and office" is closed. infact the huge 9 or 10 story building is closed.

i got 2 weeks left.  50% discount means £100 this week and next week. in the 4 emails i sent i told them if i have to give i am giving my 2 weeks notice.

Christ where is this £200 going to come from? universal credit wont even answer the phone.

did someone read the attachment i added?

based on page 4 and 5 is it valid toc or contract

NOW THEY EMAILED ME saying " it is 4 weeks contract + 2 weeks notice" so i have to pay for 6 weeks.

i cant lose my depost.

Looking at it very briefly, the contract seems to be in many respects extremely unfair. Some of it is really quite unenforceable – in particular there is an imbalance in the amount of notice that you are required to give them and the fact that they can apparently terminate your contract within six hours. Also, this business of inflicting a £500 charge for failing to report an accident within three hours, I would have thought was extremely unfair and unenforceable as well.

The contract says that there is only a £500 deposit – also there is a minimum hire period of 28 days and they want to each notice to terminate it. So at the very least I would give them the notice they require. You can then either return the car now or return in two weeks. They've got the deposit which is basically two weeks hire so after that it seems to me that they owe you money.

You've been here since 2011 so you should be well aware that you should read our customer services guide and implemented the advice there. I suppose you haven't – which is why you got no evidence of the conversation for the way you've been treated.

I disagree that the contract is for a minimum of four weeks plus the two weeks notice period. It seems to me that the writing on the contract says that it is a minimum 28 days. So you can terminate by giving 14 days notice – and if you do that within the 28 days, there is no need to do the six weeks.

I understand from what you are saying is that they require two weeks notice after the expiry of the 28 days which means there is a minimum hire period of six weeks. This is totally contrary to what the contract says.

If you are given notice in writing right now. When you return the car and tell them that if they want to take action they have your address and you will defend it vigourously. You can tell them that you have already taken advice and that you realise that a lot of the contract is extremely one-sided, punitive and unenforceable.

I think you should assert yourself these people. They don't sound very pleasant – although of course you won't be able to hire a car from them again.

40 minutes ago, philmycoke said:

Look you know more then me, i have never been that deep in it to know anything. i watched few programs on bbc about collectors, they evict single mothers, close shops, take peoples cars etc.

i wish i could agree they are powerless. right now the courts are closing etc so i am sure if i did not pay it might take time.

also i am self employed with zero income i am sure they wont break my door down and take my items.

'they' can't do anything of the sort!!

dx

the biggest financial industry in the UK, the whole DCA industry would collapse overnight.

God bless you both!

DX100uk and bankfodder.

yes she said 28 days and then 2 weeks. so 6 weeks.

I will wait for them to see what they say about payment and then seek advise here.

i have recorded all my phone calls.

Also, lets see what Boris says later this week, he promised help for small businesses didn't he? 

I dont think the hirers are demonstrating the forbearance we are all going to need in the coming  months.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Looking at their contract, they don't seem to be the sort of people who would exercise forbearance with anybody. I wonder if this woman you are speaking to was Renee Rogers?

No Amina, wow you know them?

Renee is going to say yes or no to the £50 deposit i have to pay every week as i am splitting the deposit over few weeks.

this Thursday i have to pay £103 + £50. i requested they take £103 only.

NOW THE COUNTRY is in lock down.

I dont know where the £103 is going to come from either.

this year was supposed to be my year.

god damn it!

Action for tomorrow!

1. i go drop of the car 2 mile journey and risk being fined £1000 etc.

i will lose the deposit.

maybe get something back as its 50% discount for next two weeks.

2. they have my CC somehow stop the payments going out and car will be parked on the road with no insurance

3. if they agree pay £100 this and next week and hopefully they accept the 28 day contract and not 6 weeks as the contract suggests.

(£900 lost and none of it is my fault. took me 3 months to save this money) All this has to happen to me.

none of these options are good.

i am lost and confused.

i dont know what to do.

i cant handle bailiffs and debt collections etc. CCJ's etc.

i am 39 now, i will be ruined if all this goes pear shaped?

woe slow down......

1.£1000 fine from whom?

deposit...well let them use that to fund the remaining weeks of the 28days contract.

2.simply ring your credit card company and tell them not to honour any further payments or cancel the card

(another benefit here is the CC company are equally liable under section 75 so that might be useful later )

the car will not be on the road with no insurance and if you hand it back not your problem

as for bailiffs and debt collectors.

a debt collector is NOT A BAILIFF they have ZERO legal powers on ANY debt.

real bailiffs can ONLY ever be involved if these charlatans take you to court (very very doubtful)  and if you LOSE, which with that contract I doubt very much they'd ever dare put it under a judges nose.  there are so many holes in it it's unbelievable!!

write a letter leave a copy in the car when you return it.

give another copy to the office do it by hand.

this is probably the best thing that could have happened to you IMHO

you can be a private hire driver for far less, but its a mugs game anyway. never makes money and ruins your family and relationships.

you are far better totally out of it believe me..mugs game .

thank you so much.

lets hope they are open tomorrow, lets hope there car park is open too.

Also, I suggest that you go to this thread 

and then follow the link to the Google spreadsheet and enter their name.

Thank you.

i spoke to them and emailed all their departments too. making it clear i want to return the car.

Dear sir or madam,

I am sending this email to all the emails I can find. Where is your heart? Compassion and mostly your commitment to fair practice.

I CHALLANGE you to put this vermin, gutter trash, useless and no binding T&C contract pages under the nose of a judge later this year or next year!

Tell your collection boys, collection thugs in debt collection they can come and collect there £1 a month from me!

How dare you have a solid one sided contract, so aggressive, with so many holes,

Where is your forbearance? You going to take all the help from the government and squeeze me?

Unfair, unenforceable, joke, comedy, no forbearance, 4 weeks minimum or 6 weeks? Punitive.

With the pain and suffering you have caused me with the one of the 11 phone calls which has been recorded and with lack of sleep, lost of appetite and mood swings, you have caused by unnecessary hassle, stress and depression you have caused me.

1. you payments are going to be canceled in 4 hours from this email being sent.

2. You have lost respect and empathy.

3. I will begin searching for a no win no fee or FREE legal advise asap.

4. With all the health issues, I want my full remedy from the law.

5. The car is going to be parked outside or inside where I got it from, with a letter inside, I will make a video and leave you a text message. BTW my 2 weeks notice started 3 days ago.

I want name and address of the management responsible for this pain. This is standard question you must answer. Don t answer and you will showing yourself in a very bad light.

BTW all phone calls have been recorded for training and security purpose and you can have a copy in court only.

Either you enjoy your £1 or lose a lot more. OR call me and negotiate a better rate.

They responded. ever so nice now. said have the car for £65 per week and 50p per mile.

this way it can be used, be insured, maybe get some jobs done through uber and nhs.

(btw we got no room for any more cars) - she let slip :)

thank you so much guys. all the words you threw my way etc. The above aggressive letter did it.

So you'll still be paying £65 per week plus mileage, and you'll be relying on income you can get from Uber and the NHS?

I'd have thought anything you'd be doing for the NHS at the moment would be voluntary/unpaid (loads of people are currently volunteering as drivers).  You might also need a DBS check.  And do you satisfy whatever the necessary licence requirements (if any) are as a minicab driver?

Out of curiosity, I presume the people hiring you the car are the same people you minicab for?