style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son owes council tax and it has been passed on to the baliffs. He rang them a few weeks ago and agreed a payment plan, since then he has lost 90% of his business, he is self employed He is worried the baliffs will turn up. He hasnt got much of an income now, only for food and gas, electric etc.  Can they enforce the order? 

hi

Does this mean he has now defaulted the plan he negotiated on the phone? if so. Yes they will call. So if you have a car or expensive lawn mower etc. hide them out of the way. Do not at this stage let them in.

Has he contacted them to explain the missed payment? If not, he should, not that they will do anything, but it will serve him well when he contacts the authority.

We need some more detail please and please name the bailiff and the authority., sum owed. dates of the liability order.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Thank you for your reply. When he rang them and explained he has lost money with his cleaning business they accepted a payment but the lady did say if the situation got worse to ring again but he wondered if there is any help out there to pay at a later date or anything like that. He is still awaiting any help the chancellor might give to the self employed later this week. 

to answer your original question

no they can't enforce anything really.

and ofcourse there is no right of forced entry on CTAX.

just don't let them in.

it might also prove worthy to contact the relevant council CTAX office directly and explain the situation.

they might well hold off everything during the current climate.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

All good advice, definitely move the car away unless it can be locked in a garage, presumably they have already added the £75 Compliance Fee, if they do call they will add another £235 to the bill for an Enforcement Fee, but they have no right of entry. as above what LA and what bailiff firm, some bailiffs are easier to deal with than others.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

The following is not intended to worry you, but instead, to provide advice to the many people who view this forum seeking help.

There have been various 'rumours' posted on the net claiming that bailiffs have been instructed by councils not to enforce debts at this present time given the 'virus' outbreak.  This is clearly NOT the case. This position will no doubt change over the coming days.

If your son has a vehicle, then it would be wise to make sure that it is not parked on his driveway.  

Do you mean "wise to make sure that is not parked on your driveway"

For clarity, is he in his own property or does he live with you, it would not be wise to park the car on his own or your driveway, as the bailiff will clamp it, they have clamped cars way below the debt value to put pressure to pay.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

4 hours ago, battyman said:

My son owes council tax and it has been passed on to the baliffs. He rang them a few weeks ago and agreed a payment plan, since then he has lost 90% of his business, he is self employed He is worried the baliffs will turn up. He hasnt got much of an income now, only for food and gas, electric etc.  Can they enforce the order? 

The council will almost certainly suspend all action in the current climate.

He needs to call them. If not he should contact his local councillor.

Worth contacting them for sure.  Until he gets confirmation that things are on hold for duration of crisis, hide car anyway not all councils have suspended bailiffs yet

Conwy Council  is still going for Liability orders and bailiffs are knocking on doors

4 hours ago, dx100uk said:

to answer your original question

no they can't enforce anything really.

and ofcourse there is no right of forced entry on CTAX.

just don't let them in.

it might also prove worthy to contact the relevant council CTAX office directly and explain the situation.

they might well hold off everything during the current climate.

I dont believe the OP asked about forced entry?

Why do you say the bailiff cant enforce anything? Not being argumentative, just wondered if you had spotted something I missed.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I think DX meant that if he can't gain  Peaceful entry, can't clamp a car,  nothing of value to Take Control of, he can only add the Enforcement Fee, the mention of Forced Entry would be to reassure someone in a panic about   a bailiff  possibly kicking down the door and clearing the house.

The sheriff's office say they will continue to encourage people to pay their debts by phone text and email.

My local council has put out an announcement that 2020 Council Tax can be deferred until June.

Council in my area want it as usual, but to contact them if difficulty paying.

If you look at the scale of job losses and hardship , even taking into account the level of government intervention, I think they won’t have much choice other than to write off / defer this year. That goes for all councils.

Also if they did choose to pursue everyone the court system is stalled anyway. It’s the same for mortgage companies. If half the population can’t pay for a year. What are they going to do? Repossess everyone?

Conwy Council is daft enough to try.

I think a lot of councils, landlords, lenders , bailiffs etc haven’t quite come to terms with the gravity of what they are facing.

The fact that we are all equally in the same amount of trouble. So everyone is going to need to help everyone else out.

That is the commonsense view and we should hope the government puts a hold on bailiffs etc, but

of course the bailiff will say they are Key Workers, collecting debt for the Council.