Contents Insurance, Items away from home.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1478 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Quick question to anyone who has knowledge or experience, I know the best idea is to call my insurance company and ask, but just thought I would ask here first.

Does anyone know if I will be covered on my home insurance for loss of camera equipment, its my personal camera equipment, a GO-Pro, a sony cybershot (cheap thingy) and all the ancilliaries and memory cards in my camera bag,

the crux of the story is myself and the wife and youngest daughter were out walking last week around a local beauty spot/resevoir. 

I had my camera bag on my shoulder as I was taking snaps throughout the walk, I went for a complete head over tit fall like a whalley, and ask me how I do not know, the camera bag ended up in the resevoir, going blub blub blub never to be seen again.

I am not sure how deep it is, whether I could go back with a pole and try fish it out (I can't see it as the water is mucky and the resevoir quite large) but anyway the camera bag and equipmnet are gone.  All together it would costs about £800 to replace (I have £100 excess) and a limit of £3000 for unspecified personal possessions cover in and away from the home.

I have all receipts for the quiptment (except the memory cards and spare batteries etc etc but for the main cameras)  Am I likely to be able to claim, or is it one of those where It's my own fault it went in the water I should have taken more care.

Just like to add, I have had my house contents insurance for about 18 years now and never ever once needed to make a claim, so not sure what is fair and what is not when making a claim.

Thanks caggers, great site as usual

1 hour ago, honeybee13 said:

What do the terms of your policy say about items away from home please?

HB

Do the files below cover that question for you?

I have Contents Insurance, Accidental Damage.

£75,000 total

£3,000 unspecified item cover in and away from home.homeinsurance.pdf

I have attached general policy wording, and our specific policy documents with p[ersonal details redacted.

INS_REDACTED2.pdf INS_REDACTED1.pdf

I really think that you are asking question that we can't particularly answer.

Part of it depends upon your policy and part of it depends upon the insurer that you with.

Contact the insurer and tell them about the loss and see what they say. If they decline – and you look at the policy and you decide that you don't agree on the grounds upon which they decline then come here and tell us about it.

I really don't think it's for us to examine your documents and to start giving you advice before even though there is any problem.

In terms of going into the reservoir, these places are very dangerous. There are lots of things which are dumped into reservoirs which people can easily get tangled up with and are then unable to extricate themselves.

I think the best thing you can do it simply accept that the equipment is gone and see what your insurer says.

As I have said, if you get any problems then come back yet.

However, to me that sounds more like an accident rather than negligence.

What footwear were you wearing? Weather conditions dry or wet? Were you walking or running? What about photograph of the area where you stumbled. Was on a steep incline? Was on a path? Was it a place where lots of people walk?

In case you haven't gathered, insurance companies make their money by not paying out – not by paying out. You can expect them to decline but that doesn't mean that you have to accept that.

Make the claim, see what they say – and why they say it and then we will help you put a case together to challenge the decision – if your circumstances are right.

pers I think yes you will be covered.

however what you need to do is weigh-up the today value of said items

which i'm sorry to say might not be anything near what you think you should get back

and taking off your excess from that too , and probable hike in policy fee next year as you've made a claim..might all make the claim pretty much worthless.

new for old is the key thing here...

if your policy states that, then it's obv worth it.

if it doesn't, then have a serious think about it.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Good idea, I'll check and work out the viability...  Not sure if new for old..

Thanks everyone, I will report back if any help is required after making the claim (or not if not viable financially)

as for getting your stuff out the water....

have a look around the local area for kayak clubs.

most clubs near the resv will have a licence to use it and you'll be surprised at how helpful they might be for a small donation.

the go pro and most certainly the memory cards will be ok.

but let them dry out properly before you put power to them.

by that say for the go pro ..I mean a good week of being above a radiator or about rising hot circulating air.

they are in a bag so silt debris ingress should be minimal and lenses should be ok 

if/when you get it out the water leave the bag alone and try not to rotate it too much, wrap it in a towel to soak away as much water as you can and change the towel a few times till you have dried the external as much as possible.

again you might be surprised at what works..but let them DRY thoroughly out naturally don't wipe anything outer than dab with paper kitchen towel to get off excess water. and don't press any button or anything. never ever put power back to them until totally dry after about 1 week. even the cards.

yes been there done that many many times in my career for people.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Should be ok to claim under the Unspecified personal belongings cover, as an accident loss.  They may ask you to report the loss to Police, if this is a policy requirement.  

They may not pay you cash.   Pretty likely they will put you in touch with a company that replaces items such as cameras  and you pay the £100 excess as your contribution.  Cover likely to be new for old, as very few policies are not on this basis.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread