Npower, faulty (slow) meter, charged new usage figures for many past years - now on prepay with huge debt? is this fair?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1408 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Npower
Complained because my usage had doubled and using same appliances.

Had the meter taken away and Tested and it came back saying it was running slow.

Installed new meter and it was then it began showing that I was using half the usage.

Same appliances used.

I then took it to ombudsmen and lost my case because npower aren't responsible for my usage?

I have now got into debt and on prepayment meters.

Had a bill recently still showing half the usage.

I cannot leave Npower.

What can I do?

the fault was not yours so they can only backbill the correct usage calc for ONE year. 

why didn't the ombs realise this?

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes, Npower are hopeless. Although I have to say we haven't heard any complaints about them very recently.

Would you mind just going through your story a bit more gently and in slightly more detail giving us a bullet pointed chronology without too much narrative. But I do understand so far is that you queried the meter because you felt you were being overcharged. They took the meter away and tested it and agreed that the meter was wrong. They installed a new meter. You are now trying to recover the surplus money which you paid and so far the ombudsman has found against you.
Why can't you leave Npower? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that there was a rule in place now which allows you still to leave even though you are in dispute with your existing supplier. Maybe someone will put me right.

Please go through the story including dates. Monitor the thread for a fuller reply tomorrow after you have responded

• dx100uk changed the title to Npower, faulty (slow) meter, charged new usage figures for many past years - now on prepay with huge debt? is this fair?

i read the thread the otherway??

a 'slow' meter will under-read usage

meaning the user has not been charged enough on each bill.

having now changed to a new meter, this has been confirmed too.

so npower have backbilled probably YEARS of bills making this debt which is now the subject of forced pre payment meter to recover it.

they cant do that, you can ONLY be back billed for ONE YEAR from the date of discovery.. if it was their mistake..and a faulty meter is THEIR problem not the consumer .

don't think I read it wrong??

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

59 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Yes, Npower are hopeless. Although I have to say we haven't heard any complaints about them very recently.

Would you mind just going through your story a bit more gently and in slightly more detail giving us a bullet pointed chronology without too much narrative. But I do understand so far is that you queried the meter because you felt you were being overcharged. They took the meter away and tested it and agreed that the meter was wrong. They installed a new meter. You are now trying to recover the surplus money which you paid and so far the ombudsman has found against you.
Why can't you leave Npower? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that there was a rule in place now which allows you still to leave even though you are in dispute with your existing supplier. Maybe someone will put me right.

Please go through the story including dates. Monitor the thread for a fuller reply tomorrow after you have responded

Hi thank you for reading and responding. I will give more details hopefully tomorrow

Yes but although each version still puts you in the position where you need to get some money back from npower, which version is the correct reading? Could you please just let us know that and put us out of our misery!

13 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Yes but although each version still puts you in the position where you need to get some money back from npower, which version is the correct reading? Could you please just let us know that and put us out of our misery!

Ok I will try.

"so far is that you queried the meter because you felt you were being overcharged. They took the meter away and tested it and agreed that the meter was wrong. They installed a new meter." This is correct. 

1. They did not inform me that my DD wasn't covering my bill.

2. For some reason my fault I changed banks and the DD wasn't set up.

3. Because I wasn't paying enough I then began to get into debt.

I need to look at my emails for the rest

Ok thanks

Please think it through and tomorrow set out a bullet pointed chronology without too much narrative. Include dates – this is very important.

Also tomorrow you must send npower an sar. This is essential. we can certainly help you but I'm afraid that it will take some persistence and you will have to be ready to take some serious action because npower are like dinosaurs and they need to be bullied. They don't understand anything else. If you are up for this then we can certainly help you.

a)so there was no debt created from the faulty meter..the truth being they had been over charging you because of the faulty meter?

or 

b)they discovered you were being under charged and had to charge you more for the time the meter was faulty.

you said in post one the meter was SLOW. a slow meter under reads what your actual usage is so you owe them money for the time it was slow..but they can only recalculate back for 12mts..it was their fault.

which is it 

A) 

or

B)

forget the DD mix up for the minute that's immaterial.

and they

read upload 

put both of those in one PDF file

read upload carefully

so we can zoom easy.

dx

and they

I hope you won't mind me saying that you have come to this forum for some help. You posted your story and you found some very quick responses and some very positive reactions in terms of being able to produce a solution for you.
Despite this, you really haven't told us any of the story – even though you've been asked. I'm afraid we can't play guessing games here. It's not possible and in any case we don't have the time.

We are very happy to help you – especially against this company Npower which needs a slap. We've helped lots of people successfully against Npower but you also have to invest yourself in the problem.

This means that you have to tell the story in a chronological bullet pointed fashion and then respond to our questions quite quickly please.

The reason why we normally succeed against Npower is because we have an element of – Grudge – in respect of this company and you will have to match it. Otherwise, you will simply end up another one of their victims. If that's what you want to be then I'm very sorry about it.

In response to our questions you simply posted up an image of some kind of response from the energy ombudsman, I suppose, which is pretty well unreadable when it is enlarged.

We need you to start off by telling us the story – dates, what happened, who has said what to who, sums involved.

If you have had a response from the energy ombudsman then you need to put up the response in a way which is easy to access and legible to everybody. It is very easy for you to check the legibility of documents that you put up by checking them yourself once they are on the forum.

We really don't ask you to do much – and seeing as we provide a free service here that is worth £200 or £300 per hour if you had to go to some high street solicitor, I think it's the least we can ask.

So if you'd like to take control of this problem with us behind you and to score a victory and also maybe get some compensation, then please will you start taking this matter seriously.

Let's get going.

Good afternoon.

I have downloaded the file.

I really do appreciate your help.

Also my gas prepayment meter when I topped up they were taking 70% out towards my debt.

The original amount was £4.54.

They have offered £50 as a good will gesture

should I accept that, it is ok now, but no refund.

I  found out today my electric meter they were taking £18.66 a week instead of £4.54.

I have made a complaint regarding this.

Please see also I have attached emails from the Complaints Case Handler. 

regarding the gas meter.

Thank you again.

decision.77592.2019288T1438Z npower ombudsman.pdf npower emails.pdf

Don't accept anything until we have advised you in your best interests.

However you still haven't laid out your story with chronology.

I have to say again that simply uploading documents without giving us your story is not moving us forward at all.

Please will you post up your story in a bullet pointed chronology without too much narrative.

• This would include:
  • when did you move into the property
  • which energy supply where you with
  • what were your normal quarterly bills for the two or three years before you notice this problem
  • where you with Npower from the beginning or did you switch them
  • did you always provide your own meter readings
  • did Npower carry out any readings?
  • Et cetera
  • et cetera
  • et cetera

Please will you layout your story in a bullet pointed chronology without too much narrative. If you don't do this then we will be able to help you. If you do do this then we can probably give you advice and take you forward and probably sort out the situation for you.

This is turning into very hard work and it shouldn't be like that.

Thank you. Once you tell us the story and we understand your position from the beginning then I'm sure there were more questions that they will be better directed and more purposeful so that eventually we understand all of the situation and we will then better understand the documents that you are uploading. Then we will be able to suggest a way forward

No there isn't. The best thing you can do is use your normal word processing program and start writing your story there, get it organised, then post it up here and bullet point it.

i have sorted the pdf files in post 13 now and reopened it.

from what I can gather now, looking at what info we have...it was confirmed and npower and the ombs agreed the electric meter was reading slow, thus not charging you enough for usage, npower have waved the 7.62% undercharge ....they could have recovered that from you but as it was their mistake they have decided not too.

one last point which the ombs points too is your assumption that your were using 2x the electric was wrong

as you were comparing the last full year 2018, against 2019 when it was only then june.

your only outstanding issue is that the electric meter is taking £18 debt per top up rather than £5. as with the gas meter , the gas meter debt retrieval has now been sorted, the debt collected is now correct and npower issued you with a £50 sorry payment which you have yet to accept.

so before all this happened you must have already had debt on both accounts, which is the resultant debt today, and was not added too by the faulty meter  did you stop payments during the dispute too?

it would be good to see your payment history for 2019 on both accounts.

I see you have internet access to the them?

• Like 1

and they

I'm sorry but the document which you have attempted to upload doesn't seem to be at all available.

Please will you open it again on your computer and save it as a PDF document then it should upload fairly easily