CCS Collect HMRC - debt relates to overpaid Child Benefit to my partner

Terry1975
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have received a letter from CCS asking for £8,000 which is owed to the inland revenue, the debt relates to overpaid Child Benefit to my partner.

I don't dispute that I should pay back the overpayments but a lot of the debt is penalties for failing to self assess and then charges on top of charges for paying late etc etc, I feel this is a little unfair as at no point did they ask me to complete self assessment until last year when a letter came out of the blue.

I tried to offer HMRC a payment but they wanted it settled over 12 months which I can't afford, I then gave them my outgoings as they said this was required if I wish to set up a plan over a longer period. They then said they can't setup a plan as I can't afford it!

Next I get the letter from CCS.

Is there any way to challenge the penalties and extra charges?

Many thanks in advance!

• dx100uk changed the title to CCS Collect HMRC - debt relates to overpaid Child Benefit to my partner

you are safe to ignore a powerless DCA on any gov't debt.

should you wish to further deal with this

only ever deal direct with HMRC.

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Agree deal direct with HMRC.   If you disagreed with the way HMRC dealt with the matter, you should have raised an appeal against any decision.  Or make a complaint. Or both.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-appeals

https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-hmrc

As you probably realise, you will have to deal with this, as it won't go away.   And the sooner the better, as otherwise you might struggle to appeal or complain about this. 

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread