Thomas Cook Refunds - holiday was booked through Expedia therefore claim is not valid.?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1421 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

Advice needed here about these ATOL refunds.

My daughter booked and paid in full for a holiday to America last year through Thomas Cook at one of their branches .

She got a Thomas Cook receipt and an ATOL certificate at the time of booking both clearly stating their name and their ATOL number.

She claimed ( along with about a million other people) and after all this time has been informed rather rudely that the holiday was booked through Expedia and therefore the claim is not valid.

They said that although the ATOL certificate bears the Thomas Cook name and number it must have been issued in error.

Now having looked at all of the documents the e ticket does indeed bear the name Expedia and I can only assume that they are a subsidiary or similar.

The outcome is that she was listed as a no show on the holiday and would appear to have lost £1300 because this certificate was'  issued in error' .

Any assistance gratefully received as she is now getting rather distraught by the whole thing.

• dx100uk changed the title to Thomas Cook Refunds - holiday was booked through Expedia therefore claim is not valid.?
  • 1 month later...

might be best to create your own topic..hit create in the top red banner

##dx#

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi.

No .Not yet.

I say yet because she has not given up!

She managed to find someone who knows their way round our complex laws and they have high hopes.

It does make you think though.

An organisation that is meant to protect people certainly know how to get out of giving that protection.

There are still quite a few people waiting.

• 1 month later...

chargeback is debit card

credit card is section 75 

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sorry I'm not familiar with this section 75 lingo.

I do believe that charge backs are credit cards and not debit cards. 

My CC provider is very good at issuing chargebacks, and I've used them succesfully before to cancel an automated subscription payment that I didn't want. If you bought something with a debit card it's a lot more problematic.

Nope Chargeback may be used on both credit and debit cards. Chargeback has a light advantage as it permits actions for £100.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Alright thanks so anything above £100 is not a chargeback. Going back to the OP's problem, and given as it's very easy to prove that the service was not provided (since flights were cancelled), cancelling the charge should be possible by contacting the Credit Card issuer?

And Expedia is still in business so no problem on that end either?

Edited by Kyosanto

No, Section 75 of the CCA only cover from 100 to 30000

• A chargeback has a much shorter time limit—usually only 120 days.
  • A chargeback only applies to the amount that was actually charged to the card. It does not cover partial payments.
  • There are no minimum or maximum amounts for a chargeback.
  • The trader is the only one held responsible for the chargeback and must pay the entire refund amount with fees.
  •  

There are several key stipulations that determine the eligibility of Section 75:

• Consumers can wait up to six years to file for a refund.
  • Section 75 only covers purchases that are between £100 and £30,000.
  • Partial payments are also covered. For example, a consumer might split their payment methods–£100 on their card and £200 in cash. Section 75 allows the customer to claim the full £300. Also, as long as the total payment exceeds £100, it doesn’t matter if the customer only paid £10 with the card.
  •  

Sorry if I was unclear.

There was a similar problem on here last week. I think you will find they will say that section 75 CCA will not apply.

Basically, It applies to a debtor creditor supplier relationship, whereas you are in a relationship with one other, a broker(experia).

This may be what they are referring to.

You paid Expedia, yes?

Why did your daughter think she was dealing with the supplier? Was she miss-led? Is there anything in Experia terms about refunds?

I would contact ATOL and check if the notice applies to you. And which provider requested it. Ask for copies of all correspondence under GDPR, you do not have to send a letter. A  phone will do, although I always find out the email address of the person your talking to and confirm the request, just in case they" forget".

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Hi,

I’m currently going through a similar problem and thought I’d share the difficulties I’m having and the reason why

- I’d imagine there’s a lot of people in the same boat and hopefully someone will step in to help!

I booked a hotel through Thomas Cook, however the booking was also done through Expedia.

As a result this means that Expedia have the booking and any queries must go through them as Thomas Cook aren’t in business anymore.

The problem is that when Thomas Cook made the booking, it’s all done in their name with all their details!

So whenever I contact Expedia they refuse to speak to me as I’m not the ‘account holder.’

I have no idea what name is on this account, or what email address is used (this is how they verify you).

I then discovered that the contact number was actually the old Thomas Cooks landline number and I was able to pass security after much to-ing and fro-ing. Even now I’ve passed security I’ve been told that it’s impossible to change the email address, name or contact number on this booking. So essentially my booking is stuck under details that don’t exist anymore! 

The most frustrating part and the most crucial is that a refund is impossible too for similar reasons.

After passing security I spoke about refunds which they were more than happy to oblige to.

I asked how it would be refunded and was told it would be refunded back on to the card it was paid on.

Just to double check I asked what card it was paid on and they told me the last 4 digits of a card.

wasn’t my card.

Thomas Cook take your money in store and then pay Expedia separately from their own account.

So if a refund is to be processed it will be processed against a card that more than likely doesn’t exist as Thomas Cook aren’t trading, however more importantly a card that isn’t mine or one that I can get access to. 

I have sent an email to Expedia explaining everything and they said they are more than happy to help, but to do so they need to call the contact number on the booking to verify the account. As I mentioned earlier, this is Thomas Cooks landline number that doesn’t exist anymore. 

I know this doesn’t help the original post but hopefully it gives a better understanding of the situation that I’m sure a lot of people are stuck in.

I’m so angry that Expedia haven’t taken responsibility for what I’m sure is thousands of Thomas Cook bookings and left so many people in the dark. Pretty disgusting behaviour from such a large company especially in these challenging times. 

@OrlandoJoe92 I'm sorry but you haven't had any response to this post and I think that it has been missed – mainly because you have attached it to the bottom of an existing thread.

Please will you post again but this time start a new thread and I'm sure that you will get a response.

5 minutes ago, Flowergirl2 said:

Hi,

This is a reply to OrlandoJoe92

My mother is having exactly the same problem with Expedia sending her refund to a Thomas Cook account. Have you managed to get any further please?

Thank you

You also would be much better off starting your own thread and telling us your story in order to get the help you need