BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Winemark the wine merchant ltd northern ireland
    • Hi Sweet and welcome to CAG   Are you willing to disclose the employer in this case ?
    • I was the manager of an off license. We reopened on mon 30th, I received a very large delivery which we weren’t expecting (and I wasn’t told about until 2hrs before by my line manager) all managers received a text from regional manager which stated when deliveries are coming in shops are to be closed. He didn’t ring this info in, I just read the text.   When I saw how big del was (completely covered the floor, could barely move around it) I kept my shutters closed and proceeded to pack delivery away. The store remained closed and we lost 5hrs trading time. I didn’t seek permission from manager to do this, with the current safety precautions enacted (only allowed 1 customer in at a time as manadated by HQ) I didn’t feel this could be safely achieved with 3 members of staff in and all the stock everywhere.  regional manger calls into shop at 4:50, hits roof that it’s closed and storms out of shop after exclaiming I didn’t have the authority to keep shop closed.   Fast forward 1 1/2 weeks later today regional manager comes in at 4pm with prepared questions, I answer truthfully stated I didn’t think it was safe I had the best interests of business at heart that I had turned up for work every day since this incident and nothing had been said. He said that they will examine this information and can come back for more evidence if needed.    He goes away again and at 5:59 (my shift finished at 6) he came back in saying they’d examined all the evidence and that their decision was dismissal, I was to gather my things and there’d be a letter in the post with information should I wish to appeal.  quite a shock.   I will see what this letter states as their reasons I committed gross misconduct, I am a bit at a loss as to what I specifically did to be deemed gross misconduct.   I’ve worked for them for 10years, taken 2 days off sick in that entire time and had a faultless record   I’m just flabbergasted they’d immediately sack me for something which happened in unprecedented times when all I was trying to do was keep myself and my staff safe and safely make their store presentable and adequately accessible for all.   Any thoughts on the above? Obviously this is all too fresh as it happened only hours ago 
    • Hi KL1 and welcome to CAG.   You say the buyer contacted you saying, "...... he had seen it cheaper somewhere else and wanted to cancel the sale."   Do you have this in writing and, if so, in what format ?   It would be useful if you could tell us more about the item you sold.    
    • I wanted to report a success against UKPS that started in Dec 2018 and was concluded today.  I did do a bit of reading through this site for guidance though so thanks for that!    in Dec 2018 a family member reversed onto a private road in Coventry and waited about 1 minute or so to collect their partner.  Meanwhile the owner was loitering and waiting to catch anyone on his land with photos.  2 photos were taken about 40 seconds apart.   With my help I disputed the charge stating that the driver had not "parked" but had only stopped momentarily to pick up a passenger.  I did not state at any point who the driver was.   UKPS from Leamington Spa were trying to enforce this and insisted on the charge of £60 + £100 being paid.  I sent a 2nd letter confirming the position of the 1st letter and that no further letters would be sent.   4 threatening letters were sent from Debt Recovery Plus and Zenith Collections and duly ignored.  The last kindly offered to settle for £136!    Then a letter from Gladstones Sols threatening the same was also sent, and mentioned Beavis vs Parking Eye.  This was also duly ignored.   Finally a Letter Before Action was sent by email.  Aha!  Game on.  They cited Vehicle Control Services Ltd v Nick Idle and Vehicle Control Services Limited v Damen Ward and that stopping for any time is a breach, and it was only the length of time stopped that may affect the value of the breach.   I said that signage said no PARKING, not no STOPPING and that appropriate case law was JOPSON v HOMEGUARD where the judge specifically said "Merely to stop a vehicle cannot be to park it"   They then came back at me with an evidence bundle they were allegedly going to use at court against me, stated the signage was clear,  a nd repeated their "no stopping" case   I came back at them with the same as before and added that, in their world, someone coming onto the land and wanting to read the signage would have precisely NO TIME AT ALL to so as, according to them, even stopping for mere seconds was a breach.  I also threatened that I would claim costs for my wasted time in dealing the case.   Today they emailed me as follows: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Good Morning,   Thank you for your correspondence. We apologise for the delay in our response, however as no further action has taken place we trust you agree no prejudice has been suffered.   Please note that our Client has cancelled our instruction on this matter and the matter is considered closed.   No further action is warranted. Kind Regards ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   16 months on and UKPS gave in  
  • Our picks

Tb1982

Tax credit please please help

Hi all,

I am new here and have spent quite genuinly 3 days reading every horror story online, haven't slept or eaten and am a mess.

I received a text last week stating I should check my childcare details on my tax credits claim,

I signed up online to check rather than call, and my details are completly out of date by 5 years,

I think there's an overpayment of around £15k.

I am a single mum working full time, not living a life of luxury at all,

i have always returned my tax returns but clearly hadn't checked them.

What do I do?

What are the first steps I need to take?

I changed the details online but got into such a muddle over it, I just don't know what to do.

Please please no judging me trust me you couldn't think worse of me than I do myself, I just need help. 

I can't leave my daughter, but at the same time I can't face jail and do that to her. 

hi ya

welcome aboard.

1st stop fretting.

it really is no big deal.

and no you won't goto prison

and no you won't be separated from your daughter

nor you grans budgie get hanged.

2nd sTOP reading silly internet horror stories

if you read here on CAG you'll find NOT ONE person had any of those happen

most simply came to an arrangement.

have a read of these

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-8889411648654839:3134625398&q=tax credit over payment 2019&oq=tax credit over payment 2019&gs_l=partner-generic.3...18651.20505.1.20835.5.5.0.0.0.0.70.342.5.5.0.gsnos%2Cn%3D13...0.1849j857779j5...1.34.partner-generic..28.0.0.0uw5-28QsxE

then comeback with any outstanding issues.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, the whole DCA industry would collapse overnight.

You won't go to jail.

Of course lots of questions are going to be asked – but the very best thing you can do is to contact them on Monday and be completely open and honest about what has happened.

Hopefully other people with greater expertise will come along – but certainly you need to open up completely on Monday and be completely straight dealing

• Like 1

Don't read horror stories online as they will mostly give you a pessimistic outlook.

With tax credits, if you fail to report changes, once you get around to report the changes, they will calculate the overpayment. They will then send you a letter confirming how much you owed.  The letter will ask you to phone them to discuss repayment options and you just go through all of your current information to work out the best way forward. Usually, you just enter into an arrangement to make affordable repayments over a long period, if the amount is quite large.

So please do not worry.  The situation is not as bad as you currently think. There are thousands of other people who go through the same process every year.  This is a failure to manage your administration and not anything which would mean any action apart from repaying the overpaid amount.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for your replies I really do appreciate your time. 

Can I just double check (tired emotional female here not taking everything in properly at moment), the best thing to do is contact tax credits myself on Monday, rather than wait for them to contact me? 

And do I tell them on the phone there's been a large overpayment.... Do I need to ask about repaying yet or do I wait? 

Sorry, still in a complete panic!! 

If you cannot report the changes online, then yes phone tax credits on Monday to advise of the problem.

It is only once tax credits have calculated the over-payment, that they will send you a letter saying how much you owe and invite you to contact them to discuss repayment options.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I have called tax credits, spoken to a very kind man,  I was a bit teary and he was very patient.

He said he can see my claim has been amended and all payments have now been stopped which I said was good and what I wanted. He then said there's a current overpayment of £2800 for this year 2019 - 2020, but they wouldn't know the final amount until the end of the financial year.

I asked to make a voluntary payment towards the 2850, and have paid £150 today as that's all I can afford.

I specifically asked him about the previous years as I knew that had the incorrect information too so need to start trying to repay, he said previous years are fine and looked fine there weren't any issues....

I know there are as I backdated my correct childcare claim online to the correct date 5 years ago (when I should have changed it I know!!) 

now I don't know what to do.

I feel better that I know what it is for this year and that they will let me pay it back but don't know what to do about the previous years.,  

• Thanks 1

Well done for making the phone call and getting the process started.

Unfortunately, it appear to be the way Government systems work.  Every tax year will be a separate work item.  So for previous years re-calculation to work out the over payments, it will depend on when they get around to deal with this.  They deal with tens of thousands of work items and are likely to be dealing with reported changes from other taxpayers going back months. There will be a priority order of work and working out your over payments may not be a priority. 

The main thing is that you have reported the change and stopped the payments for the current year.

• Like 1

Thank you uncle Bulgaria.

Could I ask in your knowledge / experience how long it would be before they would start to look at the previous years, whether this would be one year at a time or as a whole time period, and also whether they would look favourably on me making repayments already on the current overpayment and add the previous over payments to this rather than take legal action against me for this? 

Despite everyone's very kind assurances I'm still thinking worst case scenario and in a real state.

My poor daughter keeps asking what is wrong with me as I'm crying,

I've said I just feel a bit sick but the thought of me facing criminal action, loosing my job, my daughter terrifies me. 

Hi.

As we've said before, you won't be going to prison, tax credits don't do this. Please have a read around other tax credit threads here. Everyone turns up feeling the way you do and they all end up sorting things out and feeling a lot better.

HB

• Like 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

none of those things will happen

stop reading silly internet sites

it was not deliberate.

dx

the biggest financial industry in the UK, the whole DCA industry would collapse overnight.

Thanks honeybee and dx, I've done nothing but read posts on here all day today and can see people who have felt exactly the same way as me, I guess until its all dealt with I'll still be a bit panicky. 

I just want to say, I came across this group at 3am after about 72 hours of reading horror stories and really unkind things online in similar cases, the replies from those of you who have done so have literally saved me today. It may be just a post online to each of you, but to me it has meant so very much, so quite genuinly thank you to every single one of you. 

yes you did

and that's why I stay around till the wee small hours.

that's always the usual time people that really need help post up.

you'll be fine

you've not found one thread here that turned bad...

we tell the truth not sensationalise it .

• Like 1

Good morning all. Having had a bit of sleep I feel a hundred times better today. 

Could I ask, I understand what has been said that each year is looked at individually, but is there any time limit or idea? And is it a case of being able to add each year's overpayment to the current overpayment? Or does there get to a point where they won't add another overpayment to what I'm currently paying? 

Thank you, and sorry for all the questions! 

We won't know when tax credits are likely to contact you, as it depends on how much work they have outstanding. They never give timescales as far as I know.  

The current tax year won't be calculated until after 5th April, which is what they told you, which makes sense.

As for previous tax years, it depends on when they get to this work, of re-calculating any overpayments. I suspect that they will do all of the previous tax years calculations in one go and you will get a letter stating the total you owe covering the previous years.  

This is obviously going to be an anxious wait, expecting a brown envelope everyday to be received. Unfortunately tax credits are unlikely to assist, if you asked them to prioritise your work item. So it is a case of waiting and trying to forget about this for now. If you feel that you are not managing to cope through anxiety, go and see your Doctors.

Thank you.

I've stupidly spent hours on here searching things like interview under cautions, prosecutions etc so am in a right panic again.

I can't believe I've been so stupid.

I'm so panicky and worried again about prosecution and just don't know what to do.

I know you've all said it won't happen but seems it does happen.

I'm so so scared

by on here you mean?

Sorry dx, I mean on this site. I deliberately searched for prosecution, interview under caution, fraud etc. I don't know why I'm doing it to myself. 

well there is little on here regarding that to get wound up about.

don't make this up in your mind to be more than what it is.

they'll sort it out, let it run.

Thanks its just so hard not to panic I'm a mess!! 

Hi uncle Bulgaria could I ask, you state when you get round to updating details an overpayment is worked out and that is the way tax credits works, is that the case even for previous years where you should have given them the details years ago, as in my case? 

Very difficult, but please try to stop worrying about this.  There is nothing anyone can say to you, which will prevent you from going into another round of anxiety, which is really not good for your health.  Phone to book an appointment with your Doctors, to see if they can offer any help for this or if you don't want to see Doctors look for self help guides on helping to combat anxiety. NHS link on anxiety.

https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters/anxiety/?WT.tsrc=Search&WT.mc_id=Anxiety&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5IXF6tvp5wIVQbTtCh3zRQLCEAAYASAAEgJjX_D_BwE

People make mistakes in failing to report changes and this may cause them to have been overpaid.  The tax credits staff will see such cases every day of the week, so your case is not any different to any other they are looking at.  I suspect they see cases going back more than 5 years on a regular basis.

You have taken the first step in contacting tax credits and just have to wait for tax credits to contact you to confirm the overpayment details. You then contact them to work out best repayment option.  If you want to do anything practical in the meantime, you can start looking through your earnings, childcare details and anything that relates to this, so you have all of the details  available.