BankFodder BankFodder

PIXeL_92

Asbestos Roof on outside shed not disclosed in Survey

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct section to post in, please move if it isn't.

During the storm over the last couple of days I noticed a tiled on the shed roof had slipped and opened a hole, on close inspection it turns out they are Asbestos tiles. Nowhere in our survey did it state that and we weren't informed during the sale period.

This is our first house so I had no idea what Asbestos looked like and didn't suspect a thing, we just new the roof looked a little worse for wear and would plan to replace it once settled in etc.

I am assuming this is now going to cost a lot more to have removed and replaced, and we would of factored the cost in when we made the offer on the property.

Is there anything I can do in regards to either the Surveyors or the Estate Agents to have the costs either contributed to or covered ?

Thanks

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks, I forgot to mention, in the survey report it stated that the tiles on the shed roof were slate and no mention of asbestos.

Take it up with your conveyancer/surveyor...the seller is legally expected to list it in the sales questionnaire 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Are you certain they are asbestos? depending on age they may well be but if they are in generally decent nick then removal and disposal isnt that expensive as you can do it yourself and find out where the nearest site that takes them is and pay for their leaving there.

get in a company and they will charge you fortunes because they have to protect their workforce to a much higher degree than just PPE and also clean their vehicles, pay more for dumping, insurance etc.

On 19/02/2020 at 12:39, Andyorch said:

Take it up with your conveyancer/surveyor...the seller is legally expected to list it in the sales questionnaire 

I got a reply from them and they are asking for reports etc. I am just in the process of sorting out as it only started as a slipped tile that needed replacing.

I mentioned that I was thinking of having the roof replaced in the summer as some of the tiles have curled up on the edges and it just looks old and tired. It is the original roof and the property has been there since the 1930s.

On 28/02/2020 at 17:40, ericsbrother said:

Are you certain they are asbestos? depending on age they may well be but if they are in generally decent nick then removal and disposal isnt that expensive as you can do it yourself and find out where the nearest site that takes them is and pay for their leaving there.

get in a company and they will charge you fortunes because they have to protect their workforce to a much higher degree than just PPE and also clean their vehicles, pay more for dumping, insurance etc.

I don't really have the time to do it myself and I don't have anyone to help really (most my family is a good 4-5 hour drive away and my partners family consists of her Dad whom is 78.)

I will have a look into trying to do it myself would just need to tie it up with having the roof done afterwards.