Smart Meter Inaccurate - Utilita

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

I moved into my new home 2 years ago and it already had a smart meter. 

I switched to Utilita (gas & electric) because there is no daily standing charge. 

However, when I spoke to them in October the agent said that I had used gas during the summer months. 

The central heating is the only thing that uses gas and I had no reason to turn it on during the summer as I use fan heaters instead if it get a bit chilly. 

I accept that my monthly direct debit needs to be increased (currently £50 for both - one occupant) but I wonder if there is anyway that I can prove that I wasn't using the heating during the summer. 

I had assumed that the payments I was making during the summer for gas would have been credited to my electric account but was shocked when they told me that there wasn't any credit.

They say that I now owe about £500 each for gas and electric but as they didn't alert me earlier to the fact that my monthly payment was too low, they are willing to set up a payment plan for me to repay this. This is the first time I've had a smart meter and I would like to know if it's common for them to give inaccurate readings?  

I will set up a payment plan with them but would also like to know if I can switch supplier in the meantime?

Can I refuse to have a smart meter?  What is a better option?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

you should be able to download all your smartdata from their website .

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Register a formal complaint using their complaints process.  Also send a GDPR subject access request to them, asking for smart meter data, as well as all other data.

Gas boilers do use gas during the summer to keep the pilot flame on.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Gas boilers do use gas during the summer to keep the pilot flame on.

Unless its a newer combi...which only ignite on heat draw.( turning the tap on )

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

The Condensing non combi newer boilers use piezo ignition to fire them up also

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Yes, that should have said "some" gas boilers have a pilot flame on all of the time.

I do wonder about these smart meters.  I have refused to have one installed and won't until I am satisfied that some of the issues have been resolved.

Still issues and misinformation about them UB don't want one myself just yet.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Thank you everyone for your input! 

I hadn't considered that the boiler may still be using gas even when not being used.  The Ideal boiler was installed about 5-6 years ago. I have never looked at my usage data so maybe I should. 

If the boiler has a pilot flame on all of the time, the gas usage will be minimal.

Gas cooker ?

usage data should help you understand what has happened.