Does anyone regulate cashback websites?

Dizzybell
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1529 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello. Newbie alert!

Apologies but having looked thru the forums I was unsure where to place this.

I have evidence of price hiking if you use cashback websites to buy car insurance.  

I would say with some certainty this applies to other insurance based on my enquiries into the car insurance side of things. 

I have previously reported the companies to Topcashback before but it seems the practice remains rife.

My own car insurance is due for renewal so have having shopped around using multiple comparison sites

I narrowed down a couple of possibles I would look to purchase from.

I very strictly used 2 different browsers, cleared all cookies and all previous quotes from within the comparisons sites, I then generated new quotes.

At every stage I screenshot everything and strictly used the same details for every quote. 

Using a cashback site ensured without fail the same companies were £40 or so more expensive.

I have again approached TCB for comment plus made the comparison sites themselves aware. I await their response. The last time I took this up with TCB they said traders they feature on their site are not allowed to do this. 

For example, today the Topcashback website says you can get £25 cashback if you click thru to Compare The Market and generate a brand new quote and buy the policy straight away. Doing that however is more expensive that going straight to Compare the Market and getting the quote without TCB.

Despite caveat emptor and all that, using a cashback site implies that you will be better off because of cashback and using a comparison site - so who regulates them?

No, I'm sure that there is no regulation. The whole thing is out of control.

The best thing you can do is consult the unfair trading regulations – I think that the most recent version may be included in the Consumer Rights Act – but I do know that wherever they are, there have been amendments which means that unfair trading complaints can now be brought by individuals who have suffered losses as a result of unfair trading – but I have never heard of anybody bringing an action under that and frankly I have a sense that unfair trading regulations are merely a paper exercise and there has been really no attempt at enforcement – and if the unfair trading regulations disappeared tomorrow nobody would notice any difference.

• Thanks 1

You could also consider that as these are websites that are advertising this complaining to the ASA:

https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpq_3kNzK5wIViLbtCh1RdwN2EAAYAiAAEgKswfD_BwE

• Thanks 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group