PRA group asking to confirm name D.O.B. etc.

Fivethumbs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1526 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

First of all, hello! I've been reading threads on here for a while looking for a clear answer and either not understood or not found a clear answer.

I have received a couple of letters from PRA group asking about debt that isn't mine.

I have had in the past letters from Moorcroft about this debt which I challenged stating it wasn't me and afterwards they stopped contacting me about it and I assumed they had realised they had the wrong person and given up.

I moved three years ago and at the start of last month I got a letter from PRA group asking me to get in touch about a debt, with the amount (£403) and the original creditor (GE capital global consumer finance) which I recognised as the same amount that Moorcroft were asking for originally.

I've just the other day received another letter from PRA group again asking to get in touch to 'discuss your account'. 

After a little bit of searching I found a letter template ( https://www.scottishtrustdeed.co.uk/creditor-details/pra-group-debt-collectors/ ) that I used to email them and tell them this wasn't my debt.

They have today replied with this.

Hi ******

Thank you for getting in touch!

So we can help you, and just to make sure we are speaking with the correct person, could you please give us the following details:

• Your date of birth
  • Your current address and post code
  • Can you please confirm if you have ever lived at a house number 17 (including post code)?

When you have replied with this information, we will get in touch as soon as possible.

I really don't know at this point if I should just ignore them or just give them this tiny bit of information to get them off my back.

Just for clarity this is NOT my debt, and I've never lived at a number 17 anywhere.

I'm really annoyed that a company can just assume they have the right person and send letters like this.

Thanks for reading!

has this ever appeared on your credit file?

what date are these dca's claiming this GE capital global consumer finance credit was taken out?

you say you've never lived at no.17. but is anything else of the address like where you used to live?

just for ref never ever use email to a dca.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the replies!

4 hours ago, firstship said:

Hi. Don't email them, do not send any information they have requested, just simply ignore them.They unfortunately have your email address put a block on them. 

FS

Fortunately I didn't use my 'good' email address to email them, I thought about that before and used an address made for the job.

@dx100uk

I have no idea if it's on my credit file, I've never thought to check.

It shouldn't be as it's not my debt.

As for the date I have no idea either,

I've never been given any information other than the amount and the original creditor.

With regards to the address it's the same story there, all they have asked is did I live at No. 17?

No mention of a street name or a postcode.

Thinking back it's possible that Moorcroft may have given a date when they wrote, but as they seemed to accept me saying they had the wrong person I didn't keep their letters to me. 

If I do give them the information they have asked for I can't really see that they can do anything with it except rule me out as the debtor.

There is however the horrible feeling that these companies aren't beyond questionable behavior to get money out of people. 

Should I just send them what they asked?

They already know my current address and postcode as they have written to me,

and I've already given them my full name,

all I would tell them is that I've never lived at a number 17 anywhere,

what harm can that do?

Thanks for the help!

I know what you are saying about email, but should the worst come to the worst, you don't want them ever to use it.

but for now don't block them, just keep an eye on it till we get your ducks in-line.

I would go get your credit file and see what shows.

also look at the linked addresses too.

can we do the above please then we will move on to the next step.

ultimately, we need to make sure you are protected from whatever they have up their sleeve.

that could result in you doing various things , but we don't know what yet.

credit file time 1st please.

and don't respond or do anything else without checking with us.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well I signed up to Clearscore and I can't see anything loan related on there at all.

In fact there's virtually nothing on there.

It's got my bank account, my newer address, my old address and the balance of my mortgage account, which isn't even where I'm living. Long story there, but the mortgage is for the house I used to share with my ex and kids. Fortunately we are still on good terms and all is smooth there.

The only thing listed under there 'things to improve' is telling me to take out a credit card to earn some credit history.

Again thanks for the replies!

have still the old Moorcroft letter?

any indication upon the age of the debt ?

like when it was taken out?

GE consumer finance typically relates to finance taken out when you but a product from a store on finance.

when was the time before that when you moved?

it could be a wrong trace

it could be consumer fraud from an old address and someone used your details but that would have been more than 6yrs ago as there is no sign of iton your file.

dx

and they

I don't have the Moorcroft letter, as I said I thought they had realised it wasn't me and closed the case so I didn't bother keeping it. I haven't got any more information about the original debt than the amount and the creditor. 

I've never had anything from a shop on finance, I've never fallen for the sales pitch, the interest rates always seemed ridiculous.

I was at my last address for about 15 years before I moved in with my partner where I am now, so way more than 6 years.

They are just fishing aren't they?

Thanks again!

ok yes ofcourse they are 

but to date they don't have your correct address

so if they do register a claimform you wont know about it till its on your file or you get a bailiff at your door .

I'd simply send them one further email stating.

your current and correct address.

stating that any further emails to xxxx from xxx will be blocked and bounced back unread and that all further communication needs to be sent by royal mail letter only.

and they

Thanks for the reply dx100uk. 

The first (and second) contact from then was by post, so they have my current address already. 

Can they really send a bailiff if they aren't even sure it's the right person? Surely I would have some sort of recourse if they take action.

you are missing the point?

if they issue a court claim you wont know anything about..

so how can you defend it...and tell the judge so?

its called a roboclaim no human checks or sees anything

some 750'000 are issued each year.

have YOU informed PRA in WRITING of your correct address in relation to this issue?

the fact that they've sponged your address from your credit file is not enough to protect you

i'd not leave anything to chance IMHO.

typically these phishing letters are designed to weedout those debts they can get guaranteed backdoor CCJ's on.

and they

Are you seriously saying they can get a CCJ on the wrong person without the person even knowing? 

I feel I have to reiterate here, this is NOT my debt, I'm not trying to dodge something or not repay something I have had.

This is why I was saying should I just reply to their request in the first place,

but from what you are saying it seems like it's some sort of elaborate trap setup to get money not out of genuine debtors but unaware innocent people.

I am absolutely furious that this can happen! 

You have said that the fact they have sponged my address from my credit file isn't enough to protect me, but there shouldn't be anything to protect me from!

How can they possibly get a guaranteed CCJ on the wrong person? 

Sorry, I'm waffling here but I'm SO angry at this.

thank you for the advice, I am left wondering what kind of trouble I could have ended up in without it. 

I will inform them of my current and correct address and nothing more, and tell them to only contact me by writing. 

Thank you again!

sadly these things happen far too often

usually because of old address fraud or bin raiding by people.

bottom line is protect yourself.

the claimform would be issued under your name at whatever address is on the legal assignment from hitachi when they sold the debt on.

the next thing you would know is the CCJ appears on your credit file and poss court bailiffs at your door (not that they have any legal powers of forced entry etc etc on a consumer credit debt) .

better to be safe than sorry.

just put a line at the top of the letter stating. i do not acknowlege any debt to you .

simple

dx

h

and they