BankFodder BankFodder

Good evening,

Earlier, today, during a quite powerful storm roof tiles came off and damaged my car that was parked in front of my house where I am living as a tenant.

Probably the repairs will go around 100 pounds. I don't want to claim this to my car insurer because I don't want to lose my no clam bonus.

Do I stand any chance having the agency or the landlord cover the repairs since it's not owing this house? If yes what is the way I should follow?

Kind Regards

Edited by mick3y

14 minutes ago, mick3y said:

… not owing this house

I don't understand what you mean here.

The landlord should certainly have third party insurance. You could put in a claim against the landlord and ask them to put it to their insurer.
They will probably have to put in an insurance claim anyway to have the roof repaired so they can put it as part of that.

However, if your landlord is not a decent and reasonable person, you could end up with very strained relations and you risk a revenge eviction.

Probably the best way to deal with it is to suggest that the claim for the damage to your car is lumped in with the insurance claim that they will very likely make for repairs to the roof.

And by the way you probably have an excess anyway so even if you do try to do it through your insurance, you would probably end up paying it anyway as well as losing your no claims bonus.

Not that straightforward.

Storm damage on a Car Insurance would be under the comprehensive cover, which would no doubt have an excess, so unless the repairs exceeded  excess plus like premium increases, not worth it.

The car damage repair cost cannot be added on to any House Insurance claim , as the Insurance will exclude damage to vehicles.  This is a standard exclusion to most House Insurance policies.

If you want to claim against the Buildings Insurance as a third party under the Buildings Insurance liability cover, then you will have a struggle to do so.  The Insurers will argue that there is no evidence of the roof being in a poor state of repair, so there is no negligence by the Home owner in maintaining their property.  You would need to ask the landlord for their Insurance details.

Unfortunately, having dealt with numerous people in your situation, they always ended up claiming on the their Car Insurance, if the repair cost made it worth it.  The Car Insurers are very unlikely to bother trying to reclaim the claim settlement back from the House Insurance, so you will lose some No claim discount entitlement.  Many people end up having to pay for the repairs out of their own pockets. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yes you can claim for the damage from the owner of the property. It is a shame it is your landlord but with the caveats above will make ti twice as awkward. all down to what is forseeable and avoidable

On 09/02/2020 at 18:36, mick3y said:

Do I stand any chance having the agency or the landlord cover the repairs since it's not owing this house? If yes what is the way I should follow?

Kind Regards

No, by your own admission this was caused by the storm, not a negligent act. 

• Like 1