kevin.philips

Tips for handling this sticky situation

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4688 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Again I must challege your views, this whole forum is to support a change in current legislation that is wrong:

Workers have legal protection under the Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998 against dismissal or other penalty as a result of disclosing information relating to malpractice such as crimes, breaches of a legal obligation, miscarriages of justice, dangers to health and safety or the environment and to the concealing of evidence relating to any of these. (Commonly known as "whistle blowing"). It does not matter that the information may be confidential.

I appreciate that a bank worker may want some anonymity but what will you gain from sommeone who can not be identified if needed, there views are worthless, you should promote open conversation from them in their personal status, it would be immoral of a board like this to ask for anything remotely confidential but questions asked to this vital group could be worded in such a way as to only confirm a practice is happening or deny it, that way they themselves would not be in breach of their own contracts which would be quite ironic considering this whole notion.

Does anybody know if when you start work with banks you have to sign any kind of special confidentiality agreement which might give rise to a bank accusing an employee of gross misconduct should they speak of internal proceedings? This is what I am trying to help people to avoid.

Gross misconduct is generally a reason why an employer can terminate an employment without notice, but the problem that employee is - and what the banks might be only too willing to stress - it can take a LONG time to take someone to industrial tribuneral under the act you mention, and then they have to prove that the reason they were dismissed WAS whistleblowing, and even then there is no guarantee they will win and be reinstated.

I am sure you will agree that is a very intimidating prospect.

Having said that to a point I do agree with what you say, in that we do need to be careful about people who might claim anonymity; this is all new territory, it's never been done before and mistakes might be made. What I'm trying to illustrate here is that if someone genuinely comes forward with evidence, we won't simply hand these details straight to their employer. Such details, if they exist, need to be in the public domain.

yes, confidentialty agreements occur

you can not be seen working in the sector with a poor finacial situation.

Know of payoff jobs, where employees have to go.

There has been a thread recently on http://www.moneysavingexpert.com on the debt free board where a bank worker only just managd to save her job through going for a debt management plan and not bankruptcy. There was some discussion on a disiplianry hearing though, not sure what happened over it but the thread is still going.

Lloyds TSB -Settled in full 30/08/06 :)

Now whoes next :)

You are right..they treat their staff like dogs!

Yes, staff are forced to sign the data protection and secrecy act. Therefore when writing to claim back charges if you KNOW any internal information DONT disclose it or use it as a threat.

Agreed. Don't put anyone's job at risk. As they say 'it's dirty work' but someone has to do it'

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

The problem is Richardc, that someone does `have to do it', although there are alternatives. I'm self employed, and some of my customers live abroad. My finances are borderline; in the past I've used both Moneygram and Western Union when I've needed very quick cleared payment for work I've done. They charge a lot, but I don't mind this; I at least get what I pay for. The basic problem with UK banks is that in many cases, customers don't get what they pay for.......... Jim.

i work for halifax (i know you proberbly guessed), and had to go through a credit check, and sign for security of customers, and company confidentiality.

i signed a much stronger version when i worked at a chemical plant, something akin to the official secrets act :shock:

I don't recall receiving you email requesting permission to enter the forum.

<font face=arial size=1>Advice & opinions of Dave and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.</font>

i signed a much stronger version when i worked at a chemical plant, something akin to the official secrets act :shock:

I did some temp cleaning a long time ago, and had to sign the Official Secrets Act, as we had to clean the local Social Security Office! :lol:

I ha to sign it to. It was something minor like nuclear weapons.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

I don't recall receiving you email requesting permission to enter the forum.

i work for one, i don't own one, i get £6/hour to get people kicking off at me because i can't get brand new notes for them

and seeing as actions from this forum have made a difference where i work, i thought it good to see what the fuss is about.

is that a problem?

ps can i have your permission to post on here, or shall i f*** off and die, like the common feeling appears to be on here is towards banking staff?

No - you are welcome.

However the forum rules clearly state that if you work for a bank you must declare it to the admins of this site - not to do so is a breach of the Computer Misuse Act (1990).

Also, to clarify - this site has taken no legal action against anyone - let alone a bank.

Actions of people in the forum are their own.

The "Rules of Engagement" in this site also encourage people to be polite to banking staff.

Many people are not being treated fairly by their banks - a fact clearly emphasised by the fact that with no advertising, just word of mouth and other websites, in just 11 weeks we have over 9k users - banks are faceless organisations - if you work for a bank you have to accept that some of this anger - rightly or wrongly - will be aimed at you when you make yourself visible in a forum such as this.

Take traffic wardens - they know that it comes with the territory, even though their work is needed (in some part ;-) ).

If they were in a forum about the injustice of parking fines, I don't expect they would be upset if people directed their anger at them - even though they had no say in making the laws - just enforcing them; just like bank staff.

Sadly, banking employees are gaining the same notoriety as traffic wardens thanks to the overbearing acts of greed and disregard for existing customers imposed on their income stream (customers) by unsymathetic and unmoving policy makers.

<font face=arial size=1>Advice & opinions of Dave and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.</font>

and seeing as actions from this forum have made a difference where i work, i thought it good to see what the fuss is about

I don't personally have an issue with right to reply, but I do agree that the basic rules should be followed. However, I am MUCH more interested in the quote from you...care to shed a little light on just what those differences are. I'm not talking extra workload, shi*tier calls and the like...the real differences, such as guidance and advice for dealing with these queries...

See the steps I took to get my bank charges back.

Spiceskull v HSBC.

Thank you Consumer Action Group.

Read my blog.

Collage001.gif

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I think its a good idea to have an opinion from the other side and what a great bloke Howard appears to be...any chance of lending me a tenner mate, i need to put it in a letter im about to send.

thanking you in advance

ps

if not then please follow what you believe to be the common feeling..hee

ps

if not then please follow what you believe to be the common feeling..hee

Views expressed are not necessarily the views of all of us.

I am certainly interested in what you have to say. And £6 an hour? You mention hassle because of not supplying new notes (honestly, what planet are some people on?) so I assume you're on the tills, the frontline of the bank. In my day, they required at least 5 good 'O' levels (THAT dates me), including Maths and English, to consider anyone for a job.

In the USA there is an official level of poverty wages: anythin below 10 USD. I know that buys as much there as 10 quid buys here. I don't know whether there is an official level in this country.

6 quid an hour? You could get more as self-employed gardener or even house cleaner. It's a disgrace.

All bank tellers i have had contact with have always been nice and very polite.

Thats Abbey,Rbos and especially Nationwide. they are brilliant at my branch they are so nice to my 3year old daughter who puts £20-40 in coppers and silver into her savings account every month.

I cannot fault them only praise them.on the other hand the call centres in India are an aboslute disgrace they dont give a damn about customers or complaints.

How do staff in this country feel about them?

and how do staff feel about our cause?

do they sympathise with us or do they think we are a pain?

1)wintermare vs abbey

SETTLED £1901

I had to sign a "declaration of secrecy" before I started in the RBS branch network like everyone else.

Like another poster I also considered the whistleblowing idea re charges but after researching it it's just not worth risking my income over. I'm secure in my job and have never put so much as a foot out of line before so why risk it?

(Yes I work for a bank but am here to help! Please be nice to me! :))

the call centres in India are an aboslute disgrace they dont give a damn about customers or complaints.

Come on you're stereotyping a bit here aren't you?

I'm sure if you walked into a call centre in Delhi you'd find most of the staff there are genuinely trying their best to help you out.

Remember most of the Indian call centre staff have been through University (yes, seriously) to land such a job in the first place so they're not stupid. Also they have a tremendous work ethic. Ok there are language and cultural barriers but aside from that the majority of staff will try and help you as much as possible whilst being pressured to deal with the never ending queue of phonecalls.

If the banks spent more money to employ UK based call centre staff then yes it would be better obviously, but to suggest staff in India are deliberately offering disgraceful service is just plain wrong.

I agree. You do get bad apples sometimes, but you get that everywhere.

I remember I had a phone call from an Indian call centre once, and the chap said (in a strong Indian accent), "Hello, my name is Gerry.", I said, "Your name isn't Gerry, is it?". He laughed, and said, "no, it is not, it's xxxxx", and then we had a chat about where he was and how he got the job, and how they teach them "English" things and how they have to watch Eastenders and select an English sounding name.

It was quite a nice chat by all accounts. ...and no, I didn't buy what he was selling.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

sorry racist or not, i cant stand those indian call centres. Its mainly the accent that is very difficult to understand. That is simple because they are indian by birth and are fluent in english but the accent subverts the english language. If you re slightly hard of hearing like i am then speaking to indian call centres is a nightmare!

tiscali helpdesk is my first experience of indian call centres.i spent 45 minutes on the phone with a man i had to ask him to repeat himself at least twice on everything he said. I was stuck for ten minutes when he kept asking me to check the "peeetaay socket" which turned out to be his way of saying BT socket!

To top it all, you know that its a way for the businesses to save money by providing in essence a poorer and cheaper service which infuriates me even further.

and if you mention it then youre automatically branded a racist! If its difficult to understand someone then its a mega problem for communication whether they be asian, geordie, irish, brummie, scouse and scottish. (those are the accents i have trouble understanding by the way)

1290 back from the Halifax have it you scumbags

Agree with everything you say Templehead.

It IS harder to understand people at Indian call centres and IS just a cost cutting exercise by the companies.

All I was saying is that the Indian staff are giving it their best shot in most cases and its not their fault there are language problems, thats the companies decision.

Hi All,

I am just starting the process of trying to claim back my bank charges, and I was just wondering, as i live in Scotland is the procedure different, from the one detailed on this website.

Sorry if i have posted in the wrong place!

Laura

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4688 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you